Spec me a iphone 3gs replacement

Associate
OP
Before you go spending money, have you tried a DFU restore?

Does sound like it's gone to phone heaven (or hell, depending on your perspective), but you've got nothing to lose by trying.

PS - I've had a few Safari crashes from the iOS4 version. Never had them before the OS upgrade and I suspect the new multi-tasking is to blame.

You sir are a legend thanks for the advice I now have a working phone lol I felt like a caveman without it for 2 days. But I had a load of message with I needed to reply to so well handy that you gave me that advice still going to get something different just might wait until pay day now.

Also Im a quite member of the OCUK team on the milkway project and E@H project so I hope im helping the stats been doing it for like a month or two now.

Soldato
Went from 3GS to Desire and regretted it. Now back on 3GS trying to sell my Desire. Android is way behind iOS in my opinion.

In what way? "out the box" (before you open app store/market place) Android OS does a lot more than iOS

Android = better OS
iOS = More APPS (nothing to do with the OS)

Associate
Went from 3GS to Desire and regretted it. Now back on 3GS trying to sell my Desire. Android is way behind iOS in my opinion.

I have to agree, i've got an iPhone 4 for personal use and a HTC desire for work.

Don't get me wrong the Android is probably better value for money but if you can afford an iphone i know which one i would definatley go with.

The whole experience of the iPhone is better, the OS is much more polished and smooth imo.

Associate

In what way? "out the box" (before you open app store/market place) Android OS does a lot more than iOS

It's not the OS, its the crazy 4 buttons and a trackball that iPhone users can't deal with. It gets too confusing for them! :)

Apple = 1 button only please.

Soldato
1 button ... :D . Everytime i use someone iphone/ipod touch, i cant get to grips with the one button does it all. Its like, do i really have to use that button to do eveythink, for the love of god, give me more buttons, i like the choice, i dont want just a door bell multi option . Dont get me started on itunes either :cool:

Man of Honour
The iPhone has its strengths, so does Android.

I personally think Android is better if you know how to get the best out of it (there are a lot of stupid/clueless people out there).

It also needs to be marketed a great deal better by Google and HTC. Only really Samsung are pushing with the Galaxy series from a marketing point of view.

When you factor in the price of the iPhone 4 against the Desire/Galaxy S, it is rather more difficult to recommend it though.

Many people don't understand the benefits of Android, many others aren't open to them and don't want them. Which is a problem for Google.

I also don't really understand the whole 'more polished' argument. Yes, iOS is more polished but Sense UI Android is right up there with it.

Associate
The problem with Android is that's it's becoming too fragmented (which is a shame).

Google should have more control over it, instead all the carriers are skinning it, adding their own bloatware with thousands of apps which you don't need.

You have to wait for each carrier to release updates once they've tested them. I'm with Orange and i can't upgrade to 2.2 until they've tested it with their junk.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/12/entelligence-will-carriers-destroy-the-android-vision/

Out of curiosity Roboftw what are the benefits of android in your view?

Last edited:
Soldato
You have to wait for each carrier to release updates once they've tested them

Truth behind this, but if you half sharp, a branded phone wont stop you updating to the latest (i dont know how apple update theirs, but cannot be with the frequency android does)

As for bloatware and thousands of apps you dont need, go no further than apple for thousands upon thousands of useless apps, and you pay for most of them. Android is a choice, i made it over apple , not that i didnt want a iphone, just that apple do not give me what i need. :rolleyes:

Associate
Truth behind this, but if you half sharp, a branded phone wont stop you updating to the latest (i dont know how apple update theirs, but cannot be with the frequency android does)

As for bloatware and thousands of apps you dont need, go no further than apple for thousands upon thousands of useless apps, and you pay for most of them. Android is a choice, i made it over apple , not that i didnt want a iphone, just that apple do not give me what i need. :rolleyes:

Lol true, I might get round to rooting my work phone at some point but having to do this extra work to unlock better functionality is annoying!

From my view I used to have a HTC touch HD, after flashing it with thousands of roms customising it all of the time i simply got sick/bored of it. It's fun to begin with but it gets boring fast.

As for the market, apples is by far better (simply because it's been around longer). The bloatware i was refering to were the apps which come pre-installed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Out of curiosity Roboftw what are the benefits of android in your view?

Customisation.

I like the home screens, widgets, notification system/bar, the vast developer network behind some of the handsets (ie. the Desire).

The free sat nav (which is very good), better contact integration (and integration on the whole). The list goes on but those are a few of the main points.

The iPhone can cover most of the bases, and will often do so in a more refined way, but they need to add more to it.

Associate
Customisation.

I like the home screens, widgets, notification system/bar, the vast developer network behind some of the handsets (ie. the Desire).

The free sat nav (which is very good), better contact integration (and integration on the whole). The list goes on but those are a few of the main points.

The iPhone can cover most of the bases, and will often do so in a more refined way, but they need to add more to it.

The contact integration on the Desire is brilliant i agree. I think the one thing they have the upper hand on is intergration of social networking sites etc.

As for the whole sat nav thing people who jailbreak the iphone have no problem with that lol, i do like google navigation though i've been impressed when using it.

Soldato

Lol so you're basically saying that to get the best out of Android to make it usable you have to root the phone and muck around with it. It's nothing to do with the networks and fragmentation making the whole thing a mess?

If you don't know how often Apple updates the iPhone why comment on it? I had an iPhone before Android and it was updated a lot more frequently. I haven't had a single update for the Galaxy S as of yet despite 2.2 being out for ages. Thankfully I have an unbranded one, but I feel damn sorry for people waiting for the official update as they will have to wait even longer for their networks to update it.

With the iPhone it could just be updated regardless of the carrier it was on. As much as I hated iTunes that was a big bonus on the iPhone's part. Why on earth Android has to be customised each time to the network's I have no idea. It's like Microsoft releasing an update for Windows and HP, IBM, etc not allowing you to update the OS until they approve it and update their programs!

The Samsung Galaxy S has a few bugs and Samsung don't seem too concerned about fixing them (just google GPS issues). Whenever Samsung release an update via Kies, some people get it and others don't looking on the XDA forums. It's a complete and utter mess!!

I wish I had gone with the Nexus one and I would have been a lot happier. Android will never be top dog unless Google stick to their guns and stop the carriers making silly skins, etc to the phones under Android 3.0 and let people update the phones whenever Google release an update. This way bugs, etc can be addressed a lot more quickly.

Associate
Lol so you're basically saying that to get the best out of Android to make it usable you have to root the phone and muck around with it. It's nothing to do with the networks and fragmentation making the whole thing a mess?

If you don't know how often Apple updates the iPhone why comment on it? I had an iPhone before Android and it was updated a lot more frequently. I haven't had a single update for the Galaxy S as of yet despite 2.2 being out for ages. Thankfully I have an unbranded one, but I feel damn sorry for people waiting for the official update as they will have to wait even longer for their networks to update it.

With the iPhone it could just be updated regardless of the carrier it was on. As much as I hated iTunes that was a big bonus on the iPhone's part. Why on earth Android has to be customised each time to the network's I have no idea. It's like Microsoft releasing an update for Windows and HP, IBM, etc not allowing you to update the OS until they approve it and update their programs!

The Samsung Galaxy S has a few bugs and Samsung don't seem too concerned about fixing them (just google GPS issues). Whenever Samsung release an update via Kies, some people get it and others don't looking on the XDA forums. It's a complete and utter mess!!

I wish I had gone with the Nexus one and I would have been a lot happier. Android will never be top dog unless Google stick to their guns and stop the carriers making silly skins, etc to the phones under Android 3.0 and let people update the phones whenever Google release an update. This way bugs, etc can be addressed a lot more quickly.

I fully agree with that!

Associate
I had an iPhone before Android and it was updated a lot more frequently.

Then you should know that the so called updates on the iPhone are mostly bugfixes and actually not new features.

Why on earth Android has to be customized each time to the network's I have no idea

Android = Open, as in people get a choice, which includes different carriers and manufactureres. And they are not as restricted as you would like them to be. It's the whole idea behind Android.

I haven't had a single update for the Galaxy S

That’s why people suggest the Desire over the Galaxy S.

Whenever Samsung release an update via Kies, some people get it and others don't looking on the XDA forums.

Isn't it great that you are not dependant on a single supplier for your software, like with Apple products?

Android will never be top dog unless Google stick to their guns and stop the carriers making silly skins, etc to the phones under Android 3.0 and let people update the phones whenever Google release an update. This way bugs, etc can be addressed a lot more quickly..

Android isn’t trying to be top dog (although anyone with a little common sense knows they eventually will be).
The reason Google started Android is to give users an alternative to the iPhone, since they do not appreciate the way the control freaks at Apple do business. Google believes in choice and clearly so do a lot of people using mobile phones these days.

Since almost every phone has different hardware and there are many different carriers that provide android support, unlike in the iPhone world, it would not be possible to use direct Google updates.
Use your own example, the GPS problem for the Galaxy S has nothing to do with Android.

Sounds to me like you want 1 carrier, 1 OS and 1 phone for everyone, which would be easier to maintain. But as you should know, most people do not like dictatorships.

Last edited:

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Didnt like the HTC Desire as it honestly felt slower out of the box than the 3GS. It was sluggish, slow to move beetween screens, scroll down, etc. Very unresponsive compared to the snappy 3GS. I also disliked Marketplace, not holding a candle to the App store, and it just all round felt like a step down from my 3GS. And before you say "oh Apple fan boy.." i actually loathe Mac OS, and run Linux on every PC i own bar my work laptop :) Its just the phone i dislike. I like customising my PC, but i want my phone to work - and iOS gives that polished, "closed loop" feel.

Android to me feels very loose, and strung together.

Man of Honour
I think the Desire you tried was faulty, its most certainly not any slower 'feeling' than a 3GS unless you load it to the brim with rubbish and even then it should be alright.

Get an iPhone 4 then ;)

Back
Top Bottom