The Left Handed Build

Associate
OP
Nah, he's just one guy trolling. You're doing a smashing job. Haters gon' hate :p I don't know much about building (aside from plug it where it fits) or watercooling, especially from scratch. Always enjoy a good project log though :D

Saying thanks to you FabienO is becoming habit forming.

As for building from scratch, this is my first one, so I am also interested to see how it turns out. lol

Also happy to know that you are enjoying the log. :)

Associate
OP
Looking good, is this going to be a mountain mods ufo style case then ?

I wish i had the ability (and tools) to fabricate my own case ! Looking forward to seeing more (i like pics :D).

This build is going to be very much like a mountain Mods case (more like a wider pinnacle 24).
When building The STY, I found I could have done with a little more width to achieve my ideal water cooling set-up.

When looking at cases, I thought of something similar to this

http://www.mountainmods.com/extended-ascension-cyo-p-493.html

but the layout will be very specific to my requirements.
(will post more photos tomorrow to give a better idea of what I am talking about)

As for the tools, the work you see in fabricating the frame was completed in my work place & the ability, well we will have to see if that holds out to the end.

As for pictures, I like pictures also. So will carry-on snapping. :D

Associate
Looking very nice there. Just trying to decide how many of my fingers i'd happily chop off just to be able to weld and fabricate. Seriousy, it's got to be worth both pinkies!!!

I also seem to have missed all the excitement re the trolling. But then your average troll gets off on the attention anyway so no great miss there.

Keep up the good work matey.

Associate
Supposed Troll seems to have misinterpreted the use of "Cool story bro". An accidental troll. But this is getting a little off topic.

OP/piggin, where'd you get the welding skills? Seems a lot of the modders have their own mini factory in their garage.

Associate
OP
Looking very nice there. Just trying to decide how many of my fingers i'd happily chop off just to be able to weld and fabricate. Seriousy, it's got to be worth both pinkies!!!

Trust me its not.

I also seem to have missed all the excitement re the trolling. But then your average troll gets off on the attention anyway so no great miss there.

No real excitement, just a misunderstanding. Anyway the OP is such a noob he did not even know what a troll was (that's the things that lived under the bridge in the stories of the billy goat gruff's isn't it) :D
lol. its all an education :D

Keep up the good work matey.

Will do, thanks

Associate
OP
OP/piggin, where'd you get the welding skills? Seems a lot of the modders have their own mini factory in their garage.

The welding skills have been developed over the years (still not that great when you see a coded welder at work)

As for my garage, the pictures were taken at work (fully functioning power station)
So I don't have a mini factory but I do have access to a fully equipment workshop with 30 maintenance persons working there. (god I am lucky) :D

Associate
OP
As promised another (interesting) update

As I am ‘old school’ , I thought I would do some 3D modeling. :D

Placed a makeshift center divider to split the main body of the case from the rads.

1.jpg

Just checking spacing between the fans and the 120.4 rads.

2.jpg

I am going to place 140mm fans in the front to help draw in some 'cool' air.

3.jpg

I then measured everything out and marked it up on the floor.

4.jpg

Then checked out where the motherboard will finally sit.

5.jpg

Checked where the drive holder will fit in (this will be suspended from the roof)

6.jpg

Then worked out where the hard drives will be placed in the HD holder (this will be attached to the center divide)

7.jpg

After my session of 3D modeling I produced a set of drawings using pen & paper. (Told you I was 'old school')

Associate
OP
Very interested to see how this turns out. Looks great so far :)

Thanks EdGey

At the moment I have builders block
The next step of the build if to sort out a design for the side & front panels.

As this case is being manufactured out of solid 3mm aluminum sheet. The side panels can have any design I want cut into them.
The case will have a horizontal dividing plate that separates the lower portion (water cooling) to the rest of the case.

I have borrowed a picture of clock work orange for descriptive purpose (hope no one minds)

tj07.jpg

What I am looking for is a design that can be cut into the side panel that does away with the black mesh but still gives a good flow of air.
I would also like this design to be carried through to the window & front panel.

Any ideas or help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Associate
OP
what about some ventilation fins like on old school lockers?!
maybe too industrial and not refined enough, but could look meaty!

Thanks for the input the_r_sole, I will take this under consideration.
The only problem I can see is the fans will be expelling air from the sides and the ventilation fins will kill the air flow out of the case.

Soldato
Thanks for the input the_r_sole, I will take this under consideration.
The only problem I can see is the fans will be expelling air from the sides and the ventilation fins will kill the air flow out of the case.

i wonder how disruptive they would be, if they were all facing the same way without much surface between the gaps.... maybe could try and test it by blowing some smoke through a fan onto a mock up....

Associate
OP
i wonder how disruptive they would be, if they were all facing the same way without much surface between the gaps.... maybe could try and test it by blowing some smoke through a fan onto a mock up....

I sure I can find a old locker in work with this design stamped into it.
Will have to take a fan with me a give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom