BenQ G2420HDBL (LED Backlit) or BenQ G2420HD

Soldato
I don't think there is such a thing as a TN panel that doesn't have backlight bleed, they've all got it, my Samsung 205BW bleeds like a sonofa***** but it doesn't bother me. You get used to it.

Technically that applies to any LCD monitor. If there was no backlight bleedthrough the crazy numbers you see for dynamic contrast ratios would apply to static contrast ratios too. The simple fact is even the best LCD monitors let a little bit of light through when ideally they would be displaying black. Sometimes this can be as little as 0.3 lux which is very good really, but it still counts as 'bleedthrough'. The excess bleedthrough whereby you can see patches of purple/blue etc. occurs to varying degrees and sometimes that isn't a problem even on TN LCD panels.

Associate
Is the LED version any good for photo editing once properly calibrated?

For the home user, sure - why not?

For the more professional users then you don't want to be using a TN panel for photo editing.

I have the benq next to an apple cinema display - the benq does a very good job considering the price difference.

Soldato
I'll let you know fella. I'm not an expert though, I'm just going by the majority in this thread who think it's a good buy, hence my reason for getting it. Unless your doing image editing work then it should be a cracker.

*edit* I'll get some pics up with the lights off after I've calibrated it to what I like.

Soldato
You might as well just take some pictures with default settings. Given the camera processing and differences on the 'back end' (i.e. the monitor people will be viewing the images on) you won't be able to capture anything that will give a good indication of the picture on the screen. But you probably want to play around with it first anyway :p

Associate
I'll let you know fella. I'm not an expert though, I'm just going by the majority in this thread who think it's a good buy, hence my reason for getting it. Unless your doing image editing work then it should be a cracker.

*edit* I'll get some pics up with the lights off after I've calibrated it to what I like.

Good lad! ;)

i want for Web, gaming and movies and just dont want another monitor with bad Backlight bleed, just sent the non-led one back to the shop! a lot of people saying the LED version is much better for this!

Associate
I don't think there is such a thing as a TN panel that doesn't have backlight bleed, they've all got it, my Samsung 205BW bleeds like a sonofa***** but it doesn't bother me. You get used to it.

Haha. I must admit my 205bw does suffer from noticable bleeding at the top and bottom, but tbh like you, I have noticed it but its never bothered me, even when the lights are off and I'm watching a movie, but still would be nice if it wasn't there.

Most people are saying that the LED version is better in terms of less backlight bleeding, is there anyone that can actually clarify this? :)

Associate
Do you think this is a luck of the draw kind of thing? Some models don't have much backlight bleeding at all (not noticable), and some others do?

I think so!, I just sent back a non led Benq under DSR, easy. So ill just keep doing until I get one thats acceptable. i think when you get same model with or without bleeding! i dont think you should have to accept one with!! its just bad manufacturing. My works lenovo has Non that I can see and ive tried hard to get it to show some loL!.
p.s. Im not abusing DSR with OCuk ;) i cant buy from them coz they dont take paypal! :(

ive asked on this thread regarding the LED version and Bleeding and most people came back a few pages ago saying they couldnt see any backlight bleed at all!. I am tempted to hit BUY button and try BenQ again

Soldato
HDBL has arrived. Here's my my thoughts for what they're worth.

First Impression
Pretty light for what I consider to be a large monitor. I'm comparing this to my Samsung 226BW 22" which is a wee bit heavier than this. The base snaps in place very easily with a nice click sound to it. After switching it on I can see what everyone else was on about. This is way to bright even during the daylight. The power LED is a dull green colour, pretty unobtrusive compared to the 226BW bright blue LED power light. Monitor also tilts a little.

Bit of tweaking
First thing I checked was the colour menu, it was already set to normal so i changed it to blueish then redish, finally leaving it on normal as that looked the most white. Brightness was next. 45 was about right for me I also set contrast to 45. After that I sat back and thought, yeah that looks pretty good. Colours were fine for me, although if I'm going to be a bit nit picky then they are just ever so slight lighter than my 226BW, but completely liveable.

Games
Look great, simples. Played a bit of BC2 and Dirt 2, both were fine.

As for the back light bleed, well I can't tell if there is any at the moment. I will wait until tonight to have a look, but as it stands with its black background I can't see a thing peaking through :p

The vertical viewing angle is much more forgiving than my 226BW, very pleased with this as it was a bit annoying.

Umm conclusion then ?
Very happy with it after spending a little bit of time tweaking it. I would definitely recommend this to one of my friends if they asked me about it but I would also mention about optimising it as out of the box is a bit poo. The only thing left for me to do is get some nice 1920x1080 backgrounds :)

i'll get some pics up tonight to try and convey back light bleed. But sitting here trying my best to see some and I just cant.

Associate
HDBL has arrived. Here's my my thoughts for what they're worth.

First Impression
Pretty light for what I consider to be a large monitor. I'm comparing this to my Samsung 226BW 22" which is a wee bit heavier than this. The base snaps in place very easily with a nice click sound to it. After switching it on I can see what everyone else was on about. This is way to bright even during the daylight. The power LED is a dull green colour, pretty unobtrusive compared to the 226BW bright blue LED power light. Monitor also tilts a little.

Bit of tweaking
First thing I checked was the colour menu, it was already set to normal so i changed it to blueish then redish, finally leaving it on normal as that looked the most white. Brightness was next. 45 was about right for me I also set contrast to 45. After that I sat back and thought, yeah that looks pretty good. Colours were fine for me, although if I'm going to be a bit nit picky then they are just ever so slight lighter than my 226BW, but completely liveable.

Games
Look great, simples. Played a bit of BC2 and Dirt 2, both were fine.

As for the back light bleed, well I can't tell if there is any at the moment. I will wait until tonight to have a look, but as it stands with its black background I can't see a thing peaking through :p

The vertical viewing angle is much more forgiving than my 226BW, very pleased with this as it was a bit annoying.

Umm conclusion then ?
Very happy with it after spending a little bit of time tweaking it. I would definitely recommend this to one of my friends if they asked me about it but I would also mention about optimising it as out of the box is a bit poo. The only thing left for me to do is get some nice 1920x1080 backgrounds :)

i'll get some pics up tonight to try and convey back light bleed. But sitting here trying my best to see some and I just cant.

thanks for review, very much like mine for the non LED version. let us know about the Backlight, ill buy yours off you ;)

Associate
just bought one of these yesterday, set it up today. beautiful monitor, the colour quality really shows next to my old samsung 22", the syncmaster looks so washed out and saturated next to it

Soldato
This is a pretty good representation of what the screen looks like in the dark with a blck background, As you can see the the bottom middle is ever so slightly lighter. ignore the white dots, it's just the camera.

The white looks dull here, it's much much whiter in person. But it shows the right side slightly dull ... you cannot see this in person.

How wonky am I !! should have got a tripod :p

Oh this is with 45% brightness and 45% contrast and Normal colour setting.

Associate
This is a pretty good representation of what the screen looks like in the dark with a blck background, As you can see the the bottom middle is ever so slightly lighter. ignore the white dots, it's just the camera.

The white looks dull here, it's much much whiter in person. But it shows the right side slightly dull ... you cannot see this in person.

How wonky am I !! should have got a tripod :p

Oh this is with 45% brightness and 45% contrast and Normal colour setting.

lol!. thanks again. I cant see any bleed myself! what happens when u turn brightness up? or are those levels bright enough?

sooo tempted to try a BenQ again!! itchy buy finger

Soldato
45% is the absolute maximum I will go, I've since went down to 40% as I felt it was still a bit bright. I'm not kidding when I say this, the monitor could be used as a search light at 100% brightness. I think most of the people in this thread would agree with that hahaha.

Associate
a certain place who take paypal just reduced Gigabyte gtx460 OC 1gb again so Just ordered that ! :)
but I will have enough money again by Monday, so I think im gonna try the LED version! fingers crossed! and should be running a nice new gtx460 on it :)

Back
Top Bottom