Any issues with using 10W40 instead of 5W30?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I've never needed to top up my oil since I've bought the car and the previous owner, who had it from new, said the exact same thing to me when I bought it.

Do you think this sudden need for oil is something to be worried about? I have used it an excessive amount this month and it has just come from a repair after being T-boned :confused:

Associate
its a lot more than ive seen other cars use, mine would use 250-500ml.
jonny, its 1L down, to min mark as his light came on.

Associate
if it wasnt using it before, id be looking round to see if there are any leaks, then maybe if its burning more oil than normal.

Caporegime
the oil in my volvo confuses me

Volvo says it recommends Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 0w30 on the sticker under the bonnet and in the manual

However Opie Oils and Halfords both bring up 5W30 instead

Confused !

Soldato
the oil in my volvo confuses me

Volvo says it recommends Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 0w30 on the sticker under the bonnet and in the manual

However Opie Oils and Halfords both bring up 5W30 instead

Confused !

I'm more confused why you would be confused between the credibility of those sources. 2 of those are simply salesmen or retailers and the other made the car!

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17469120 said:
Confuses me too as there was no Castrol Edge when your Volvo was registered was there? :confused:

well to be specific it says Castrol Fully Synthetic 0w30

but even more confusing, if you go to the Castrol Website and ask for their recommendation, it says refer to your dealer.

Handbook says 0w30, and it has to be grade ACEA A5/B5

but Castrol Edge 0w30 fully synthetic is only ACEA A3/B4

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9014073&contentId=7027066

probably the reason why castrol doesnt recommend an oil for my car !

*Edit*

Forgot to mention while it was with its previous owner, it was a company car serviced by Kwik Fit, gave them a ring and they've been using 5W-30 all its life so i guess if thats what its had all its life it will probably be fine.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd be more worried about why you let the oil get low enough that the light came on, rather than what half a litre of 10W40 oil would do (it won't make any difference at all). :eek: You're probably paranoid about the revving, but if there is any difference it's more likely due to the oil being so low!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd be more worried about why you let the oil get low enough that the light came on, rather than what half a litre of 10W40 oil would do (it won't make any difference at all). :eek: You're probably paranoid about the revving, but if there is any difference it's more likely due to the oil being so low!

The BMW 325Ci has a warning light which illuminates when the level reaches minimum on the dipstick. It is not an oil pressure light - and the oil is not dangerously low when it comes on.

Caporegime

depends what you mean by "that low"

THere is 1 litre difference between minimum and maximum on my volvo, and the oil light comes on with a warning on the dash at half way, a red warning light comes on when it reaches the minimum. So it depends entirely on how fussy the car is !

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I let the light come on so I know to top up the oil, same way I let the light come on when I know to replace the brake pads or even fill up the petrol :eek: ;)

Shame there was no light to tell me the inside of my tyres were worn to the thread though, lesson learned there... what lesson should I be learning here? Oh yeh, always carry spare, correct oil for emergency top ups!

Edit: The manual states there are two situations where the oil light comes on yellow, either during the drive or once the engine has been turned off. Mine happened when the engine was switched off and in those cases it recommends to drive no more than 50km, so I'm assuming not "that" low.

Last edited:
Associate
That's as maybe, but it's good practice to check your oil regularly, and you really should not let your oil get that low. The red warning light isn't a "have a look at your oil because it's probably a bit low" indicator. 99% of the time it's a "stop the car and put some oil in as soon as possible before you damage the engine" light. I know you would really only damage your engine if you were unlucky and the usual thing it will do it just cause it to wear at an accelerated rate. Mind you, I used to work in my dad's garage (before he retired and closed the business a few years ago) and saw my share of seized/damaged engines through lack of servicing and/or low oil!

Man of Honour
The red warning light isn't a "have a look at your oil because it's probably a bit low" indicator.

He is talking about the yellow oil indicator presumably, which comes on after you stop the car. This is simply a 'Oil is at min' indicator. It even tells you in the handbook to check it when its convenient 'Ie, when you next refuel'.

99% of the time it's a "stop the car and put some oil in as soon as possible before you damage the engine" light.

There are 3 stages of oil warning light in the E46. He is talking about stage one I presume - which is simply telling you about the level.

Caporegime
Associate
[TW]Fox;17469694 said:
He is talking about the yellow oil indicator presumably, which comes on after you stop the car. This is simply a 'Oil is at min' indicator. It even tells you in the handbook to check it when its convenient 'Ie, when you next refuel'.

There are 3 stages of oil warning light in the E46. He is talking about stage one I presume - which is simply telling you about the level.
Ah, that's fair enough. I can't say i've seen inside a late BMW for a few years, I didn't realise they were putting three oil warning light on motors now :eek: ! I'm perhaps a bit out of touch in that respect! :o:D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Yeah Fox is right. Sorry I didn't say this before, I coincidentally just edited my previous post saying it was the yellow light, and not the bad yellow light but the first yellow.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ah, that's fair enough. I can't say i've seen inside a late BMW for a few years, I didn't realise they were putting three oil warning light on motors now :eek: ! I'm perhaps a bit out of touch in that respect! :o:D
LOL I think they do it because of incompetent idiots like me :)

Back
Top Bottom