My Arcade Cabinet

Associate
I see americans picking these things up for nothing all the time and it ****es me off ! They are ten a penny over there.

Ain't that the truth. I used to be a regular on byoac forums and it made me jealous some of the machines the Americans had access to! Positive side, following this thread has given me the bug again, I'd really like a 4 player Mortal combat/simpsons but i think there's only a handful of 4 player games. On the lookout!

Soldato
Nice one looks great. Just checked craigslist and theres quite a few cabinets for sale on there.

The cabinets dont look complicated to make, if its possible to buy the decals and you can get some local company with a CNC to run you a few batches off, you could make a nice earner selling those.

http://nh.craigslist.org/vgm/1929771114.html << pole position cabinet.

Hey Doofski, seeing that you are in NH, have you ever visted FunSpot? As featured in the movie King of Kong?

Soldato
bloody hell its only like an hour away, wifes never heard of it even though shes lived here most her life. Going to go next weekend :)

Oh man, i'd love it to be only 1hr away from me.. But then again I am a retro gaming nerd ! :D

Please report in next week to let us know of what you thought of the place.. hope it doesn't disappoint.

Associate
That's looks ok and you're obviously happy with it, but to me it's absolute sacrilige (sp!) to convert what looked to be a very decent condition original (and as you say, complete) Atari Paperboy cab into another Mame box (especially when i've been looking for one for quite a while although I haven't really got the room! :) ). Could you not have found a decent standard Jamma cab like a Silverline or something instead and converted that? There's thousands of those still around! I'm probably only saying this because i'm probably a biased arcade collector (been collecting arcade stuff for years, got 3 cabs and at least 100 games pcbs and loads of parts) but no original cab should be converted unless it's absolutely past it or empty (even then they can be restored, there's plenty of most of the parts about, indeed, i've even got one of those huge Paperboy pcb sets in the loft!) The medium resolution Wells Gardner monitor that would've likely been in there are getting quite rare these days. At least you replaced it with another CRT. To put an LCD in would've finished me off! :D

Original dedicated cabs are getting rarer as time goes on and the more cabs that get converted into Mame or equivalent means there's less and less as time goes on.

Have you still got any of the parts you removed? :) Parts as I say are available but they are always being looked for and are worth money!

By the way, was it black like that with red t-molding when you got it or did it have the original Atari Games sideart?

I have these three cabs, but there'll be more as space permits:

(Click for bigger pics)

Electrocoin Goliath Mk3 (unfortunately the glass bezel over the screen got broken recently, but i've found a replacement), Sega Hang-On.

Barcrest/Zenitone Deal 'Em, bit tatty but all works now (now i've put a working Hantarex chassis in for the monitor, old chassis was beyond repair)

Edit: And Wicksta thinks his cab was cheap at 12 euros? - the Deal 'Em (although quite tatty on the cab side of it) cost me £6.50 from eBay! (Mind you, it did cost me £85 to get it couriered down here from West Yorkshire! :D)

Cheers, Tony :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's looks ok and you're obviously happy with it, but to me it's absolute sacrilige (sp!) to convert what looked to be a very decent condition original (and as you say, complete) Atari Paperboy cab into another Mame box (especially when i've been looking for one for quite a while although I haven't really got the room! :) ). Could you not have found a decent standard Jamma cab like a Silverline or something instead and converted that? There's thousands of those still around! I'm probably only saying this because i'm probably a biased arcade collector (been collecting arcade stuff for years, got 3 cabs and at least 100 games pcbs and loads of parts) but no original cab should be converted unless it's absolutely past it or empty (even then they can be restored, there's plenty of most of the parts about, indeed, i've even got one of those huge Paperboy pcb sets in the loft!) The medium resolution Wells Gardner monitor that would've likely been in there are getting quite rare these days. At least you replaced it with another CRT. To put an LCD in would've finished me off! :D

Thanks ! The cabinet was complete but wasn't working, the monitor was scrap and the PCB, although had power, was unresponsive. The side art was gone and the control panel needs a complete overhaul. I picked this up for £100, by far the cheapest thing I could find. I live in Northern Ireland, so finding any sort of cabinet is like finding a needle in a haystack ! If I bought something cheap from the mainland, it would have cost me a fortune to get it shipped over here.

I fully understand where you are coming from and if it had of been in better condition, I wouldn't have converted it. It would have cost me more than I paid for the cab, to just buy the wood to build my own.

Love your collection mate, very jealous : )

Associate
OP
Have you still got any of the parts you removed? :) Parts as I say are available but they are always being looked for and are worth money!

I still have the PCB and the control panel. The control panel is complete and the artwork is in pretty decent condition but the whole unit needs a overhaul as the handlebars are quite loose and well worn. The chrome is pretty much gone and has been replaced by rust lol

I also have the original marquee which is still in the cab but I plan to replace it soon

Here is a vid of it when I first got it

Back
Top Bottom