• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Official 5830 Thread!

Soldato
OP
Mine seems to be reaching some very high temps for a Powercolor 5830. In GPU-Z it says that the GPU Temperature is 39C idle, but at the same time GPU Temp #1 is 39C, GPU Temp #2 is 44C and GPU Temp #3 is 47C.

When I was gaming on Crysis earlier, I saw temps as high as 60C on GPU Temp #3. I know it's not particularly high by 5*** series standards, but up until recently the highest I've seen was 50C under load...

Soldato
OP
Has anyone in here had any success overclocking their Powercolor? I know Spirits was for a while, but think he gave up...

I'm just wondering about gaining a few FPS.

Also, if anyone has had any 5830s in crossfire, any problems with it? I'm really tempted, but it all depends on if they get the dreaded microstutter and the like...

Soldato
OP
I'd only move to a 460 if I could run SLI, which I can't on this board.

I considored selling it and getting a 470, but CF 5830s will surely be faster, and I want to try two GPUs.

Soldato
OP
Just started having issues. Wonderful...

When playing a 3D game, everything runs perfect, until I exit the game, then my main monitor will recieve no signal input for upto 30 secs, at which point it comes back on.

Any advice? No recent changes at all, apart from upgrading to the 10.8 drivers...

Associate
Sapphire 5830 game edition

Hello everyone.

I tried to overclock my sapphire 5830 game edition with MSI After burner 1.61 (also tried 2.0) and AMD GPU Clock tool. I have catalyst 10.9 installed and I disable it when i'm using afterburner + AMD tool

If if set it to anything higher than GPU 875 and Memory 1200 and play games or watch a video the display after a few minutes will crash. I had the fan at 100% just in case.

I read somewhere that i could try changing the voltage to something higher but how do i do that? The voltage option on MSI afterburner is locked (I also checked unlock voltage control/monitor in settings) and on the AMD GPU Clock tool is says my current voltage is 1.0630 and supported voltages are 0.9500, 1.0630 and max VDDC.

Any suggestion? I'd like a bit more power that what i can get with the overdrive utility overclock.

Thanks!

Edit:

Ok I saw Jimbo's message about the manual voltage thing for MSI. But what voltage did you use?

Thanks!

Another edit:

I managed to get it stable at 1000clock and 1200 memory but no fps improvement in dirt2 and only 1-2 fps with vantage

Last edited:
Associate
alecsao, sounds like you're CPU limited, because a core running 1000 vs 800 default should yield a bigger performance gain.

Your result sounds about right - the Sapphire overclocks higher than the Powercolor as it seems to have a higher default voltage. I really don't think you need to mess with the fan speed, especially 100%!!!!

The Powercolor runs really cool but doesn't overclock much past 875 in my experience (default is a small factory overclock of 825) but the thing is nearly silent in 2D and gaming.

Muel, sorry to hear you are having an issue with a blank screen after gaming. That does sound like a driver issue, although you've probably delt with it by now since it was a month ago.

Associate
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I have an i5 760, is not the fastest CPU around but I didn't think it would effect my OC potential on that card. I saw in forums that people get better results than I do with lower CPUs...

About the voltage thing: do you know how to try that without breaking everything? What voltages should I try, what is the max etc?

Thanks for your help!!

Associate
CPU seems fine as you say - strange you only get such a small performance gain.

The voltages are fixed on these cards - you can't change them without a hardware mod - but your Sapphire must come with a slightly higher default voltage as standard - they all seem to clock higher than the Powercolors.

I don't know how to do a hardware mod; you'll have to have a search.

Associate
Thanks Spirit.

I just ran Vantage at high settings with only the resolution changed to 1080.
The card is at c875 m1200

Results are:

GPU 7897
CPU 13458

GPU Test 1: 24.79
GPU Test 2: 21.42

Feature test 1: 1383.70 GTEXTELS
Feature test 2: 4.31 GPIXELS
Feature test 3: 43.84 FPS
Feature test 4: 30.84 FPS
Feature test 5: 45.18 FPS
Feature test 6: 114.43 FPS

Does it look about right? I'm comparing with the results on this post: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5830/16.htm and to me it seems quite low considering they got 11028 at high setting (but their resolution was 1680x1050).

Back
Top Bottom