Do Sky Throttle their Broadband?

Soldato
Hi folks

Im currently on Sky Broadband 20Mb unlimited, I was on their 10Gb limited service which ran perfectly for almost two years, but i went over the limit twice so they automatically upgraded me to their so called best package. Ever since then the connection speeds can become rediculous every few days, for example im currently getting this...

981989450.png
[/URL]

I normally get around 3-5Mbps which suits me fine, but this is unbearably slow. I just wanted to know if anyone else has/is experienced this with Sky before i make an angry phone call.

Soldato
I get similar results at peak times and I'm on the up to 8mb package. It's unbearable. As far as I can tell, the lines are just ridiculously over subscribed, so come peak times, even if you haven't gone over your limit (which we never have) your line speeds grind down to a crawl.

Not a lot that can be done afaik :(

Soldato
OP
The annoying thing is its works fine for maybe a week, with no signs of throttling at peak hours then all of a sudden it turns to poo. Never had any issues before i was "upgraded" at all either...

I know they throttle/used to throttle Sky Connect customers but i didnt think they throttled anyone else.

Looks like that angry phone call is a goer :mad:

Associate
On the Sky LLU unlimited there is no throttling. So if your speeds are dropping there's a problem somewhere.

Edit: plus your ping is rediculously high so that's also a sign there's a problem.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As has been said by some of you, Sky don't throttle their unlimited product at all. They do on thier Connect package which isn't LLU and really is to be avoided for anything other than basic email and internet use.

Permabanned
some people are on llu but getting throttled or slow speeds - sky have done this - they did it to my mate they used summat to slow him down but he got it removed

Soldato
OP
some people are on llu but getting throttled or slow speeds - sky have done this - they did it to my mate they used summat to slow him down but he got it removed

It wouldnt have been them testing the line would it? Ive just logged on to My Sky and they say they are currently testing the line and it will take 10 days to finish...

10 days of bog slow internet just because you want to test what speed im getting? You can **** right off!

Soldato
Iv been on there top package for years, iv never been throttled at all, i don't get the best of speeds a steady 5Mb/s day or night, but thats due to line length, if you are trully on their unlimited LLU pacakage they don't throttle it. Can't speak for their lessor packages though.

It would seem from your screen shot/speed test that there is an issue on the line. Look at the ping to that server, should'nt be that high.

I would deffinatly call them, as that speed is way to slow, and i would say there is a problem.

Soldato
I'm with UK Online's non-LLU service, which i'm pretty sure is the same as Skys Connect (Sky own Easynet who run UKonline)
It always used to be reasonable, certain games weren't great sometimes in the evenings but other than that it was fine considering the price.
This past week, however has been horrendous, from 4pm until midnight every day the net is almost unusable.
I've tried various routers/microfilters, it's definitely a screwed up throttling on their end. I'm pretty sure they must have cut back on capacity somewhere because it was never this bad before.

25651785.png

25655325.png

After midnight Line quality will be back to 'A' <30ms ping with <5ms jitter.

Back
Top Bottom