BLOODY Orange!!

Associate
I am so hacked off right now.

To cut a long story short I have been recieving texts from people late.

What I mean is that a text can be sent to me at say 12:00, and I wont get it until about 13:00. Its usually an hour later on average. I have had texts come through up to 3 hours late!!

I have spoken to Orange about the issue twice, the first time I was given some crazy ritual to do that involved deleting all my texts, being sent a new text containing some new settings from Orange then restarting my phone.

This didn't work, so I called them again about a month later. I managed to speak to 'one of my own' (a geordie) who said that I didn't need to delete my texts, but I did need to remove my battery after receiving the 'update' text from Orange. So I did that.

Now its hard to tell if these 'fixes' are working as the problem is really intermittent. I can go days without any problems, then without warning, and usually in the middle of a text conversation, I wont get a text for a while. If I restart the phone, the text normally comes through then.

This has always been nothing more than an annoyance up till tonight.

I have been trying to make up with my ex. We haven't really spoken since the summer (we broke up at Christmas). I texted her last Sunday and we had a little chat, but it ended fairly flatly. Until tonight, when I get a text from her out of the blue. This is AMAZING news (to me at least), except the *@$&^*# text came through an HOUR late!!! By the time I replied, she had obviously fallen asleep and now I've missed out on a great chance to make up some lost ground.

Its a good job its night time otherwise I'd be doing myself no favours ****** and blinding at some poor sod at the call centre.

I've never felt the need to rant on here before. It actually felt quite good.

Is anyone else having text issues with Orange?

Soldato
Yup, been having issues all month, they say it's because my workplace is in a poor signal area, but that doesn't explain why I can't recieve texts on time when at my house

Soldato
Mine's the same on o2, but it's a combination of poor signal and my phone being poor. If I'm expecting something I just reset the phone and it usually comes through within 5 mins.

Man of Honour
There are only a few things that cause delayed text messages. Network congestion, poor signal or a phone that has temporarily stopped location updating with the network (not a fault, incidentally) are the usual suspects.

Being sent the message update should fix the last one temporarily, but it won't fix the underlying cause, which is usually a phone that doesn't move around much and is rarely turned off, so follows the spec and stops updating the mast, especially if you're in a network area that is already congested.

If you don't already, try turning your phone off/on once a day (when I had similar problems, I used to do mine in the morning while I made coffee) and you may well find the problem goes away.

It is worth remembering that text messaging is not actually guaranteed or specified to be an instant service, even though that is what people have got used because it is how it performs most of the time.

Soldato
If restarting your phone sorts it out then is it not pointing towards the handset rather than the operator?

Have you got a second handset you could test this on?

M.

Associate
I remember when I had the same problem with Orange, I complained several times but got no where, they just kept telling me texts can take up to 24 hours :eek::eek:

Ended up moving to Vodafone, not had any problmes with them, Shame realy as Orange used to be a good network, now they only seem interested in getting new customers onboard.

Soldato
AH HA! A fellow geordie with the same problem! Spoke to orange myself and they said exactly the same to me. You ve got me wondering if we are on the same cell tower, you arnt anywhere near wallsend per chance are you? Also, have you tried using 3G? With my phone I get a GPRS and HSDPA signal just fine, but if im connected to a 3G network then I cannot sent/recieve anything at all nor can I use the web.

Soldato
It's no consolation but apart from the long queue times I've had great service from Orange, some mast work in the area has improved my signal and I can finally get 3G at home rather than no reception whatsoever, phone also died applying the Orange update today, rang them up, replacement phone will be here before 1pm tomorrow (on a Sunday!)

Associate
Have this happen on my Blackberry and like everyone else, I now turn the phone off once a day and haven't had it happen for a while!

Man of Honour
Lot of people moaning at work today about this (down in Somerset) they've been having delayed text messages for a month or 2 but last few days 16-24 hour delays so its not a localised problem.

EDIT: Turning their phone on/off probably won't help as most of them turn them off every time they put them in their lockers at work and still getting delayed messages.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom