Fractal Design R3

Associate
Anyone got any build pictures of the above?

Thinking about purchasing one, but i would like some user feedback.

Upgrading my case from an original 690. Would love a 700d but space is an issue.

Any help is much appreciated.

Soldato
I've bought one and am planning on getting some time this evening to move my home server in to it.

I can let you know how I go?

Soldato
I don't have any pictures of it, but I have been using a couple of R2's for a while now, and they are very nice cases, good value for money, well made, nicely finished ...plenty of space etc ...nothing to complain about really ...other than the fact that the access hole in the motherboard tray for getting at the back of the cpu socket is too small ...however they fixed that in the R3.

Soldato
Anyone that has either an R2 or R3, could you measure how far apart the feet are? Need to figure out if it'll fit on a stand I have!

The front foot seems set back quite a way from the front of the case from the photos i've seen..

Soldato
The distance between the feet is a shade under 4 inches, the distance from the the outer edges of the feet is 8 inches ...which is basically the width of the case.

Associate
Anyone got any build pictures of the above?
Finished my build last week. Significantly nicer to build in than my old Coolermaster Centurion. Most of the time was spent working on cable management and I'm still not completely happy with it but that's not a fault of the case, there are plenty of options for good cable management. Haven't taken any pictures yet but I'll try and post some photos later this evening.

Associate
OP
Finished my build last week. Significantly nicer to build in than my old Coolermaster Centurion. Most of the time was spent working on cable management and I'm still not completely happy with it but that's not a fault of the case, there are plenty of options for good cable management. Haven't taken any pictures yet but I'll try and post some photos later this evening.

Thanks, just sold a faulty 4870x2 on MM. So my Finger is hovering over the buy button.

With the this week only on it...... VERY tempting!

Associate
Thanks, just sold a faulty 4870x2 on MM. So my Finger is hovering over the buy button.

With the this week only on it...... VERY tempting!

Apologies. Forgot about this last night but managed to quickly take a (poor quality) pic with my phone. Hopefully it gives you an idea though....

r8bKk8d

dk3t5wn

Associate
OP
OK time for some pictures, I got this finished late Friday night. I'm quite pleased with the build.

The case is very grown up no big sticky out flash in your face bits, nice and simple imo.

P1020587.jpg

The front door is kept shut with a very positive magnet, on opening the door you have 2 5 1/2 inch drive bays and 2x120mm fans with dust filters. With having the door, I could not have my fan controller exposed. I still wanted the controller, so i mounted it set back and replaced the 5 1/2 inch bay blank.

P1020588.jpg

P1020590.jpg

P1020591.jpg

P1020589.jpg

P1020604.jpg

Still keeping it simple you have the power button, audio, 2 usb and e sata on the top of the case. The power button has a blue led.

P1020600.jpg

The case is VERY heavy as sound deadening material is mounted on a lot of the inner faces. This dose a good job in keeping the noise down.

P1020588.jpg

P1020603.jpg

P1020602.jpg

Air flow is good, it keeps a q9550 4.0 ghz @ 65 deg c. And the 470's in sli at a max of 72 deg c when folding / running fur mark. I could fit 2 more fans, but I don't think they are required for this build.

P1020593.jpg

P1020589.jpg

P1020592.jpg

P1020602.jpg

P1020599.jpg

Internally the case gives a nice build, all the cables are routed around the back of the mobo tray. There a re convenient cut outs for you to bring them back round to the mobo. The cpu has a cut out in the tray, so you can remove the cooler, without removing the mobo. It also allows you to mount 8x HDD. I like the black and white combo.

P1020595.jpg

P1020601.jpg

P1020594.jpg

P1020598.jpg

This is a case i would buy again. Any questions please ask.

Associate
Could you measure the distance (length of case) between the feet? I realise 13" was quoted previously, but this can't be right...?

175mm from center to center of the small feet at the back.
148mm from center to center of the big feet at the front.

193mm from outer end to outer end for the small feet at the back.
190mm from outer end to outer end for the big feet at the front.

Just got this case as a prize for being featured in CustomPC :).

Doh, just noticed you said length :D
406mm from begining of the front feet to the end of the feet at the back.
And 340mm between case feet from the end of the front feet to the begining of the back feet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom