"Android is much more customizable"

Soldato
In a month I'll be eligible to upgrade my horribly slow Symbian-powered Samsung INNOV8. My fiancee has an iPhone4 and I admit I like it very much and would like to get one. Before she bought it, we looked at the HTC Desire and it also looked like a nice phone.

On this forum there are a lot of people who like their Android phones and the phrase that often pops up is that "Android is much more customizable" but I'm still unsure if that would benefit me. I bought my INNOV8 thinking that I'd be able to do lots of exciting things with it, but in the end there doesn't seem to be a great deal I can do to it (I'm sure Android has much more support).

What do people actually do to their Android phones? In the past I'd have been attracted to the idea of tampering with a gadget just for the sake of it, but now I'm not that bothered unless it's something really entertaining or beneficial. Is it all a case of downloading CPU meters and altering the priority of tasks to save battery life, or is there more to it than that?

I think what I'm saying is that from what I've seen, the iPhone4 does what I want, but I'd like to hear if I'm missing out on something that might make me consider (specifically) the Desire HD. Tinkering about with a phone does appeal, but in my older years I generally use an operating system as a platform to do things I want (email, web, games), rather than seeing the OS as a challenge to be moulded to my will.

Soldato
Symbian is dirt, of course you were disappointed it isnt worth anything, totally useless.

if you want a simple phone go iphone, just be warned simple is all you get and its extremely limiting.

if you want the ability to actually have a smartphone that can do what YOU want it to do, to look how you want it to not how some apple gimp tells you to make it look then go android. the desire hd is a lush phone and well worth picking up if you think you may like/need the customizability in the future.

google really work hard on their os, and its only going to get better, as clearly shown in going from 2.1 to 2.2.
Apple is already becoming stale with its yearly updates that add very little or implement features the jailbreak community discovered since day 1.

Last edited:
Soldato
Android: Don't like the layout or launcher? you can change it and make everything you want easily accessible and pretty.
iPhone: Don't want a "wall-o-icons"?? Too bad.....

Android: Fancy trying a more up-to-date ROM? Sure, there are loads out there?? Fancy trying a Desire HD ROM on a standard Desire to see updated HTC Sense software?? sure, no problem. Do Google give a S***??? No, go for it :D

iPhone: Want to do something different?? Sorry, not unless you jailbreak. Does Apple give a S*** - Yes and may well try to brick your phone if you use it in a non-jobsian approved way.

Bottom line is this - if you want to use the phone YOU bought in the way YOU want to, Android is the only decent option. If you don't mind being prescribed to and want to pay more for the privilege, then go Apple....

Soldato
I had an iPhone 3Gs and upgraded to a Samsung Galazy S and I haven't customised it at all but I still prefer it.

Just having a file system and being able to move stuff onto it and being able to download files and not having to use itunes is enough reason for me.

Associate
Android: Don't like the layout or launcher? you can change it and make everything you want easily accessible and pretty.
iPhone: Don't want a "wall-o-icons"?? Too bad.....

Android: Fancy trying a more up-to-date ROM? Sure, there are loads out there?? Fancy trying a Desire HD ROM on a standard Desire to see updated HTC Sense software?? sure, no problem. Do Google give a S***??? No, go for it :D

iPhone: Want to do something different?? Sorry, not unless you jailbreak. Does Apple give a S*** - Yes and may well try to brick your phone if you use it in a non-jobsian approved way.

Bottom line is this - if you want to use the phone YOU bought in the way YOU want to, Android is the only decent option. If you don't mind being prescribed to and want to pay more for the privilege, then go Apple....

Do you know what goes into those roms which you so happily put onto your device? it could be loaded with anything!

OP: To be honest both phones are top notch, but as you've pretty much stated you don't want to be messing about with your phone so i think you've answered your own question.

If you love customising your phone then get an android, i'm in a lucky position where i have both (one work phone and the other personal) and the iPhone gets my vote everytime :)

Edit: the Samsung Innov8's are still selling for a decent price used (£219.95)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You do know what goes into these ROMs because the ROM zip files can be opened and you can browse the entire system/apps directory to see what is installed.

You can even add your own or remove ones you don't want pre-installed during update.

Associate
You do know what goes into these ROMs because the ROM zip files can be opened and you can browse the entire system/apps directory to see what is installed.

You can even add your own or remove ones you don't want pre-installed during update.

No you don't you rely on trust, so you're telling me you check every single file?

The actual system files could me modified to contain anything, it's like people who use pirated copies of windows they could be apart of huge botnets without ever knowing and it's not like your antivirus is going to pick that up!

Associate
Do you know what goes into those roms which you so happily put onto your device? it could be loaded with anything!

This seems to be standard with most iPhone enthusiasts, that Apple is better BECAUSE it is locked down, that way you don't get spyware and viruses and malicious files unlike the possibility with the open android marketplace.

I've not known anyone to have this happen to their phone, and iPhone are not invunerable either.

Its the same with computers, as long as you're sensible you've rarely got much to worry about.

Associate
This seems to be standard with most iPhone enthusiasts, that Apple is better BECAUSE it is locked down, that way you don't get spyware and viruses and malicious files unlike the possibility with the open android marketplace.

I've not known anyone to have this happen to their phone, and iPhone are not invunerable either.

Its the same with computers, as long as you're sensible you've rarely got much to worry about.

You're right apple aren't invunerable either, they have their fair share of expolits too but surely the risk increases when you start using roms from an untrusted source? I'm only stating this as people bang on about how this is such a great feature.

People do it all the time, 99% of my work colleagues do it to but your phones contain so much personal data these days you have to ask yourself if it's worth the risk?

Edit: There is always pro's and cons about it being fully customisable or locked down it just depends what you want in my opinion the whole customisable argument gets used loads, like the OP said after a while it gets boring.

Last edited:
Soldato

I've seen quite a few articles on android software security issues. A very quick google shows these three (bit old now mind):

http://www.technovia.co.uk/2010/06/how-big-a-problem-is-android-spyware.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/29/suspicious_android_app/

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/360370/spy-tool-highlights-android-app-store-security-issues

I've rarely seen Apple users state iOS is better because it's locked down, although I can certainly see the benefits. I more often see Apple users not being fussed by how open android is. Not everyone wants massive weather and the time in words...

Soldato

well you do actually.
a) you can open up the files yourself and check (long winded yes)
b) theres a massive log of programs/features that are in the rom
c) you wouldnt download a rom from hacksamillion who has zero feedback on xda
d) most rom threads on xda have 500+ pages of comments on the rom, giving you good accurate feedback on the rom, its problems and even any bloatware

i take it youv never installed a custom rom? have you even looked over at the xda website? as you wouldnt of asked that question if you had.

heck the big phone companies like Orange put more crap and tracer apps on a phone then these custom roms do and then prevent you from uninstalling them!

seems you crying over nothing to be honest, everything and anything can be made to contain hidden stuff in the modern age, doesnt mean you should stop using it. i even bet your pc has some sort of virus on it now that even your 'virus checker' cant see - i guess you should stop using the pc in case it blows up???

the rewards are far far greater then the small insignificant risk.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
seems you crying over nothing to be honest

This.

There is absolutely no issue with a custom ROM as long as you're following the common sense protocol, i.e., installing ROMs from the correct threads on XDA or Modaco.

Associate
well you do actually.
a) you can open up the files yourself and check (long winded yes)
b) theres a massive log of programs/features that are in the rom
c) you wouldnt download a rom from hacksamillion who has zero feedback on xda
d) most rom threads on xda have 500+ pages of comments on the rom, giving you good accurate feedback on the rom, its problems and even any bloatware

i take it youv never installed a custom rom? have you even looked over at the xda website? as you wouldnt of asked that question if you had.

heck the big phone companies like Orange put more crap and tracer apps on a phone then these custom roms do and then prevent you from uninstalling them!

seems you crying over nothing to be honest, everything and anything can be made to contain hidden stuff in the modern age, doesnt mean you should stop using it. i even bet your pc has some sort of virus on it now that even your 'virus checker' cant see - i guess you should stop using the pc in case it blows up???

the rewards are far far greater then the small insignificant risk.

LOL, I’m not crying over nothing just stating a point. There’s a risk involved when using cooked ROMS and if you think there isn’t then you’re naïve, you’re just jumping to it’s defence as you own one.

What's to stop a user getting a good rep then releasing something nasty?

Anyway you seem to have agreed in your last sentence “the rewards are far far greater then the small insignificant risk.” So we’ll leave it at that!

As for have I ever been over to XDA then the answer to you question is yes as I own a HTC touch HD and i’ve “customised” it to my hearts content….as I said it gets boring trying to find the ideal solution when you can get it out of the box ;)

p.s "don't cry" that was a joke!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Touch HD is not an Android device and there is a world of difference between the two.

You seem to be one of those people that live their ilves constantly questioning everything.

Why wear a seatbelt if a plane is going to crash on your car? It's not going to save you. Might as well stay at home and work from there instead.

But then your house might get arson attacked, stick with a bunker underground then, it's safe out of the box.

Thoughts like that are silly and do not follow logical thought.

Associate
Touch HD is not an Android device and there is a world of difference between the two.

You seem to be one of those people that live their ilves constantly questioning everything.

Why wear a seatbelt if a plane is going to crash on your car? It's not going to save you. Might as well stay at home and work from there instead.

But then your house might get arson attacked, stick with a bunker underground then, it's safe out of the box.

Thoughts like that are silly and do not follow logical thought.

Dude stop being a drama queen! Well done for figuring out that a touch HD isn't Android did you figure that out by yourself or did you have to use google?

the point is customising whilst it sounds fun gets boring -->in my opinion<--.

Yes i do question most things in life and i don't believe everything i read, if i did I would be following advice from people like you ;)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
...if i did I would be following advice from people like you ;)

Following my advice is sound advice, I have a positive track record after all.

And anyway, it might be your opinion that customising gets boring but it doesn't mean you can preach about it to people trying to wedge your opinion as fact.

Associate
Following my advice is sound advice, I have a positive track record after all.

And anyway, it might be your opinion that customising gets boring but it doesn't mean you can preach about it to people trying to wedge your opinion as fact.

Look i'm not preaching anything, just pointing out a potential risk when using cooked roms, same goes for people who Jailbreak iPhones.

Something that might seem like a small risk for some can be seen as a bigger risk by others and i guess this conversation proves it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
And how many rooted Android users here (of which there are many) have been a victim of such a risk ridden process, had their details stolen, phone hacked, system compromised? :p

*tumbleweed rolls by*

Exactly!

Soldato
As someone who's previously owned a iPhone3GS, but now owns a HTC Desire, I'm very aware of the advantages of both platforms.

You have to understand that the two Platforms, iOS and Android work in completely different ways. Android is the more feature rich and open platform but this does come at a cost of potential instability and fragmentation.

For example, whilst Apple have made the iOS platform harder to customise than Android, they have made it extremely stable and easier to develop on. Take for example Skype on Android, it gets put on the Market but doesn't officially support Galaxy S phones and states so in the description.

What happens? Galaxy S smacktards still download it, find it doesn't work and then rate the application with one star. Why? They think Skype are to blame for the application not working when it's really Samsung they should be barking at because they've not got 2.2 officially out.

You don't get any of that on iOS because it's all been made to work on one platform.

However, that being said - I find I can do much more on my Desire than I ever could with my 3GS. If I go to a company conference for example, my colleagues who all have iPhone's have to go to the hassle of getting a wireless key from reception and connect to the hotels overloaded wireless network as so many of them are using it.

Me? I just connect my Desire via WiFi tether and away I go.

Would I recommend stock Android vs an iPhone? If you're used to the pretty interface iOS give then you're going to hate stock Android as it really does look like some amateur photoshop user made the interface.

To me, HTC Sense fixes that because you still get Android with a lovely polished HTC Sense UI included, giving you best of both worlds.

Add to that free Google SatNav, free cloud syncing that you have to pay for on the iPhone (MobileMe) and loads of other little Goodies.

The area the Desire lacks for me is the media element, the media player UI is pretty woeful and whilst I don't ever record video with my phone, it's worse than the iPhone at recording HD Video.

Back
Top Bottom