Son excluded from school!

Soldato
Today the school phoned up,and informed me my son was excluded for 1 day for quote 'scratching a pupil in class'!
He has never been in any trouble before,is top of his class in most subjects,is the least violent person I know.He loves school,and learning.
He has been pushed around and bullied on numerous occasions,and the school has done nothing,except 'have a word' with the kids involved.
Today,another kid tried to take my sons book off him and rip it,in his attempt to hold on to it they got scratched on the arm.That was enough to get him excluded tomorrow,and a meeting with the deputy head and head of year on Friday.
I'm very annoyed,as this will now go on his school record,and I think this will affect him in the future.
I'm seriously considering taking the home education route!

Soldato
Say this in the meeting with the deputy head and head of year.

Say that not enough is being done about the bullying and that if something isnt done that your going to notify the local papers about the story? Worth a shot?

Dont have kids so have no idea tbh :)

Send him to boxing lessons.

This but teach him its only in dire need and self defence.

How old is he if you dont mind saying?

Associate
We had the same trouble with my lad - we went to talk things through with the head and teacher involved. When we asked why my lad was getting into trouble after the other kid stabbed him in the arm with a pencil, we were told the bully was having a problematic time after his parents had split and he was coming to terms with it all.

Erm, so where does that say he can physically attack people - where has the spine of people gone? If I did that back at school I would have felt the rough end of the cane!

Like others have said, have a word with the school - what you said in your first post will make them explain themselves to you.

Soldato
Your son loves school but you want to pull him out and home school him?

Things like this happen all the time at school, it's no reason to stop him from going to school. School isn't just about lessons, it's about learning to become independent. If you pull him out of school, what will he do at college?

Soldato
OP
He's 13,and no,boxing lessons are not for him,he's the most placid kid I know,even though he did karate for 5 years!
We do send him to a private tutor after school anyway,for maths and English,and he learns more in one hour than 10 hours at school.
Seriously not impressed with the school right now!

Fox,there is no 'other side' to the story.The other kids said thats what happened as well.I suspect,as above,that the other kid is a 'problem child'

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Prepare for the meeting on Friday. Get the full details from your son, including the names of those involved (but bear in mind he may not be totally honest with you or may "embelish" things to make it look better for him). If you have any correspondence with the School with regards to the previous complaints about bullying take that along too. In the meeting itself, do not be aggressive, but do be firm, calmly listen to their side, take notes.

If the meeting does not go to your satisfaction and you feel that your son is being unfairly treated then you need to next complain, in writing, to the Head of the school and arrange a meeting with them. The next port of call would be to the school governers, then the LEA (if it isn't an academy).

At each stage, keep notes and keep written documentation of every complaint and every meeting. At the end of the day the aim is to ensure that your son's schooling does not suffer.

Finally, don't home school, pretty much every person I have met that has been home schooled has been more than a bit odd....

Associate
On reading that, it sounds like he has been punished for standing up for himself, explain what you said in the OP to the Head and im sure it will be resolved and maybe even be amended on his permanent record.

That is of course if you know the whole truth of his school life.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm very annoyed,as this will now go on his school record,and I think this will affect him in the future.

They will look at the wider picture mate, despite me being a moron, both my kids love/loved school and both are/have done so well (#1 just left) but both have been bullied at times. #1 son had it worse, and basically flipped and flattened one of his bullies in secondary school...got a detention, nothing more was said. There may be words, but the school will know whats what.
:)

Permabanned
No one, absolutely no one reads "school records" - it goes on grades and atitude of which it sounds like he has the potential for good on both counts.

Dont worry, but do fight his corner.

Permabanned
Today the school phoned up,and informed me my son was excluded for 1 day for quote 'scratching a pupil in class'!
He has never been in any trouble before,is top of his class in most subjects,is the least violent person I know.He loves school,and learning.
He has been pushed around and bullied on numerous occasions,and the school has done nothing,except 'have a word' with the kids involved.
Today,another kid tried to take my sons book off him and rip it,in his attempt to hold on to it they got scratched on the arm.That was enough to get him excluded tomorrow,and a meeting with the deputy head and head of year on Friday.
I'm seriously considering taking the home education route!

How old is he.

I don't think that the scratch is the whole story either....

When it comes to the bullying of your son, we had a similar problem. We spoke to the school on several occasions without any conclusion. In the end we threatened to involve the police and bring assault charges. Our son has not been bullied since.

Getting excluded from school is highly unlikely to effect his future after school either.

Last edited:
Associate
Home schooling does not teach a child everything, although you may feel you need to protect him. Home schooling does not for example teach interaction with other people.

Hopefully you will get it sorted on Friday. It is not good for the school to let bullying go on as it is

Back
Top Bottom