BT Infinity. , worth a punt ?

Associate
Been using Infinity for a while now and I'm well chuffed, not had any cap or traffic shaping issues - not that I expect any really, I'm on unlimited everything I think. The speed ain't too shabby either:-

988660925.png

Soldato
Have either of you seen torrent upload speeds above 130kbps? I can get just over 1000kbps via http or ftp but torrent upload is capped 24/7 for me at the moment.

989419200.png

I don't use torrents, but I have uploaded files at very fast speeds.

You sure you've done all the port forwarding correctly?

Soldato
How fast is the homehub routers ethernet? i know you can only use 3 ports (1 goes to the modem) but is it 100 or 1000mbits? and the wireless in N speed yes? dual band?

Caporegime
How fast is the homehub routers ethernet? i know you can only use 3 ports (1 goes to the modem) but is it 100 or 1000mbits? and the wireless in N speed yes? dual band?

You don't have to use the Home Hub with BT fibre. They supply a modem and a hub, but you can replace the hub with a router of your choice, and just use the modem.

Soldato
yes but if it will the job i need i'll use it cause its free and the router i have now is ADSL and locked down (sky).
I know i could use any router but do you know a Gbit router with 8 ethernet ports? im planning on using their router + a 8 port gbit switch. In wondering if the router will slow things down any

Associate
You sure you've done all the port forwarding correctly?
As far as I know. That's why I'm trying to find someone else who has infinity and uses torrents, to see if they have had more speed. No luck here or on BT's forum though. Maybe their all too shy.

Soldato
Just had Infinity installed this morning, engineer called 3 hours before allotted appointment saying he was available then, too if it was convenient, uckily I have the week off work for half term, he came over, all done in about 2 hours, including moving the master socket upstairs to the office! Very chuffed!

Associate
We were estimated 19.9Mb / 9.1Mb and are receiving 36Mb / 8Mb. Been connected 14 days now.

The enginer was good enough to show me the gadget he uses to do the speed test, It showed..

Estimated line length to the cabinet: 300 meters
Speed Cap: 40Mb down / 10Mb up
Max speed the line supports: 46Mb down / 16Mb up
Actual line speed receiving: 38Mb down / 9Mb up
Percent of max speed received: 82% / 56%

Our line isn't even copper, it's aluminium, there were copper shortages because of a cival war at the time.

He said that they could offer 100Mb packages now but have no need to, and he was once given an uncapped line to play with, where he recorded 176Mb down / 74Mb up :eek:

My only complaint is the torrent upload speed, while torrent download speed is free to run at full chat untill peak times when it's throttled back to nothing, upload speed seems stuck at 120-130Kbps at all times.

This image was taken at 5PM, the download speed has been cut back to 15Kbps but the upload speed remains at around 120Kbps. Strange.

20z91c6.png

Last edited:
Associate
It's a lot easyer to share home video/images with friends/family via p2p, Rather than using an upload site which either costs money or has restrictions and is hard to use the the non tecky.

I pay for 1MB upload and receive that accept on torrents where it's 0.1MB. Still it is 3 times faster than before, but, far from what it should be.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Get real guys. You're paying peanuts for a 40/10 connection with 300GB cap. It's going to be shaped to hell. P2P speeds will suck.

Back
Top Bottom