A little help with my build....?

Associate
This isnt exactly a spec me build i just have a few questions while i slowly get my cash together for my new PC...

Firstly the motherboard, can any folks recommend a good one what i want is an AMD CPU probably the 955. I will likely only get one GPU initially but would like to have the option to add a second down the line and the whole 8x, 16x thing confuses and worries me is there much difference in reality? Also i would like the option down the line of maybe adding one of those revodrives when they drop in price or if i win the lottery :p. Money is tight for me so the cheaper the better as long as it can take Sata 2/3, USB 2/3, 16x16x crossfire/sli (8x8x maybe just don't know how important that is) and it has a spare PCIe slot which wont be covered by 2 GPUs that can take a revodrive. Two other things to consider are the possibility of adding a TV Tuner card (likley) and a sound card (unlikely) these i could live with out but would be a bonus if could be added down the line. Also the GTX 460s seem like the best bang for buck GPU on the market so supporting SLI would be nice tho as far as i can tell that's unlikely on an AMD board for some reason.

The case im looking at is an Antek 300, im really not fussy about the case aesthetics don't bother me as much as performance so don't want to spend silly money here. All i want from my case is fairly decent cooling and to comfortably fit what i have described above on the mobo, The 2x GPUs will ultimately be something along the lines of 2x 5850s (maybe the 6xxx series we will see) or 2x 460 1gbs.

Finally the PSU i have my eye on is the Sapphire Pure 625w because it seems like such an incredible bargain but as i want to leave room for 2 GPUs, multiple HDDs and other bits and pieces im open to suggestions. Again i don't want to spend silly money here i just want it to work and i really don't believe a PC needs 850w+ but maybe a good solid 750w?

Permabanned
For 16x/16x you want an 890FX chipset such as this
Or you could save a bit of cash and get 8x/8x which wont overly effect performance tbh, by getting the 890GX such as this, was gonna spec the MSI but as its mATX it prob wont have the expansion slots youre after, and for some reason the gigaytes are all cheaper than the Asus' atm
Yeah youll have to stick ATI if you want dual GPU, though Im sure someone will be along to sing the praises of the MSI fusion shortly but imo its not really worth it atm, its strange new tech with kinks in still
for xfiring a coupla 5850s you prob want 750W, I think the 625W would be just too short, once you start clocking, so look at something along the lines of this XFX when it comes back in stock

Associate
i agree with 95thrifles about the PSU, especially if you plan to add more to the computer over time, you should try using one of the many psu power calculators that can be found on the intenet to get a rough idea

Associate
OP
Realistically all it will probably be is 2x5850s (perhaps a similarly priced 6xxx card), a Phenom 2 955 which id like to overclock a lil, a samsung blu ray/dvd RW and 2 Sata HDDs. Anything else is pretty unlikely and low priority.

Back
Top Bottom