U2410 or 120hz?

Associate
So I finally have the money for a new monitor and with my ~£400 budget (ex VAT) my final question is should I get a Dell U2410 or ASUS VG236HE now or wait a while for the BenQ X2410?

at the moment I'm leaning towards the U2410 because it's only £350 + shipping atm although since I'm a gamer the lack of 120hz is bugging me

Soldato
But if you opted for a 120Hz you'd spend all your time wondering what you're missing in terms of image quality. And as a man of experience I can tell you it's a lot! There is only one monitor I've used recently that has actually shocked me with how unexpectedly responsive it was, hugely exceeding expectation; that was the U2410.

Soldato
There are more than two as I have tested 3 and there are several more I haven't tested. Moreover; as a fellow fan of FPS games I slightly disagree. Don't get caught in that trap! How many people here do you think have tested various games on 3 different 120Hz and countless IPS monitors as well as OLED monitors? Objective opinion - the U2410 offers the better experience on any game, regardless of genre. That's just my opinion though - everyone will be different. I'm afraid the decision will be down to you, HW91. If you want further food for thought check out these two threads:

1) Thread 1
2) Thread 2

And of course this lovely review.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd go for the either of the dells(probably the U2410 because I'm impatient), myself as I really don't think the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz is very noticable, even in games.

EDIT: oops responded after you already got a more useful answer + made your decision, fml.

Associate
I'd go for the either of the dells(probably the U2410 because I'm impatient), myself as I really don't think the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz is very noticable, even in games.

EDIT: oops responded after you already got a more useful answer + made your decision, fml.

Xillax can i ask you if your basing that opinion on seeing a game run at 60fps on a 60 hz monitor and then seeing the same game running at 120fps+ on a 60 hz monitor? just need to clarify something thats all.

Associate
U2410... No Question.. I had loads of LCD's, kept sending them back for one thing or another, from various outlets. Spent the extra on the U2410, stopped sleeping with the girlfriend and never looked back, just at my U2410. ;)

Man of Honour
The actual noticeable effect of 120Hz for gaming isn't that big a deal (aside from the ability to use VSync with a LOT less input lag) - however I am strongly of the opinion that its more responsive enough compared to even the best 60Hz for gaming to make a difference in FPS games and the extra fps doesn't go amiss either. I easily make a 4:1 KDR in games like Modern Warfare 2 while playing on my 120Hz 2233rz whereas on any 60Hz panel I'm struggling to get much over 2:1 - I also notice far more times when I felt I "should have made that shot", etc. when playing on 60Hz so I think its worth the money in terms of how well your actual ability translates into the game.

Back
Top Bottom