Hazro - Any Update?

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Well I've just had an email from Hazro offering me a deal on a 'cheap' 30" HZ30Wi, only £675

There's an email address to reply to, belonging to an individual, which I'm not sure I should post, and also a phone number [Number edited out as this is now the house number of an individual person, see Post #3065 for details].

Last edited:
Associate
Well I've just had an email from Hazro offering me a deal on a 'cheap' 30" HZ30Wi, only £675

There's an email address to reply to, belonging to an individual, which I'm not sure I should post, and also a phone number 0121 777 2069.

They are advertising that deal on the Hazro website.

Soldato
I had a phone call from someone at Hazro today... (shock and horror). From what I can gather, Hazro has been sold to new owners :D

I also got that email advertising the £675 30" screen...

Now, Hazro have my 30" screen that broke in July, after a long path that sent it to OcUK, to Hazro, back to OcUK and then back to Hazro (after they tried to fix it but it didn't work out). They told me over the phone that they don't have the parts and "facilities" to repair old Hazro screens and that they are not planning to honour the warranty on older model sscreens (they said they they were not informed of this when they bought the company), but in my case they will send out a replacement HZ30Wi (the new 30"). I was given a 10-12day lead time.

Anyway, it's nice to see some contact from Hazro, finally. The change of ownership can only be a good thing, and if they decide to handle their customers properly, then I'm sure they will have every chance at success. My old 30" screen was a good panel, and was a good value purchase. If they are willing to support their products now, under the new ownership, then I would be willing to consider buying from them again in the future. From the specs of the HZ30Wi, a £675 pricetag seems like extremely good value, considering that other equivalent 30" screens go for around £1000.

Associate
If they are willing to support their products now, under the new ownership, then I would be willing to consider buying from them again in the future. From the specs of the HZ30Wi, a £675 pricetag seems like extremely good value, considering that other equivalent 30" screens go for around £1000.
That's an almighty big "if", at this stage at least... £675 is a cracking price for a 30" monitor, true, but it'll take a braver man than me to be one of the first in this particular queue.

Do we know the new owner's identity, and is there a known registered office or trading address for Hazro itself, or even a company number (still can't find anything at Companies House)?

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Well I bought one today. Used a credit card to get Section 75 protection.

I was order number 23, so as only 80 are available at this price you might want to hurry.

Need to sell my perfectly good black HZ26Wi now as I don't think I'll have the desk space for a dual monitor setup any more. How much do these go for second hand? £300?

Associate
Well I bought one today. Used a credit card to get Section 75 protection.

I was order number 23, so as only 80 are available at this price you might want to hurry.

Need to sell my perfectly good black HZ26Wi now as I don't think I'll have the desk space for a dual monitor setup any more. How much do these go for second hand? £300?

Company looks to be dodgy if you ask me, just realised these screens are selling on the bay.. I would make sure the screens are fully warranted before spending that price tag but each to their own.

Soldato

You'll be lucky to get £300 for it I think...

It's a pretty good screen, but Hazro is not a well known brand, and the resolution is still 1920*1200. I would guess closer to £200 or maybe £250. But who knows.

I have to say, from a design point of view the new Hazro 30" looks pretty good. It has a highly adjustable stand (it can even go in portrait mode which is rare for a 30"), and it has quite thin bezels. Despite my past problems with Hazro, I'm tempted at the £675 price, expecially as it would allow me to run a 30-screen 30" setup :D. But, I think I'll wait to see what the quality is like with the one I'm getting via RMA.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Company looks to be dodgy if you ask me, just realised these screens are selling on the bay.. I would make sure the screens are fully warranted before spending that price tag but each to their own.

Well they state a 3 year warranty, and if they do go under or whatever, well, that's what Section 75 is for.

Associate
...They told me over the phone that they don't have the parts and "facilities" to repair old Hazro screens and that they are not planning to honour the warranty on older model sscreens (they said they they were not informed of this when they bought the company)..."

I am pretty certain that they can't legally dismiss past warranty responsibilities, as long as it is still the same legal entity. Any purchaser worth their salt would have done due diligence to find out what the warranty liabilities were! Sounds to me like someone trying to brush their old customers off...

I have an HZ24Wi, which I bought from OCUK, and I love it. Just got to keep my fingers crossed that it will go the distance now, but if it doesn't, I won't be letting them off the hook!!

Soldato
I am pretty certain that they can't legally dismiss past warranty responsibilities, as long as it is still the same legal entity. Any purchaser worth their salt would have done due diligence to find out what the warranty liabilities were! Sounds to me like someone trying to brush their old customers off...

I have an HZ24Wi, which I bought from OCUK, and I love it. Just got to keep my fingers crossed that it will go the distance now, but if it doesn't, I won't be letting them off the hook!!

Well, I did try everything that I could to get in touch with Hazro and make them honour the warranty on my old HZ30W (details are around earlier in this thread), so I certainly wasn't "letting them off the hook". After I called trading standards they told me that I had absolutely no legal recourse against the manufacturer, and that it was only the retailer I could deal with. I asked several times about this (talking with three different people on three different occasions), and I pointed out that they were turning their back on their warranty. They all told me that there was nothing I could legally do, and that I needed to deal with the retailer. I don't get the impression that manufacturer's warranties hold much weight legally.

Anyway, they're replacing my screen with the new model now, so I suppose I can't complain at this point.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
So what is your warranty situation on the replacement, since they supplied it to you now, not OcUK.

These new ones are being sold direct so for mine it's clear cut. They warranty it for 3 years with "Business level SLA" whatever the hell that actually means and I have to deal with them directly.

OTOH, I have both Paypal's LOL-worthy protection and since I funded that via credit card I have the protection of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, which actually has teeth.

I think it's worth the risk for a 30" monitor for £675!

Soldato
I'm seriously tempted to get one of these 30" screens, been very happy with my original Hazro 24"...no issues at with it, i got it before they even went on general sale years ago direct from Hazro. Only thing holding me back is i would have a 24" IPS i couldnt use...no room.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
rotate it 90 degrees and stick it on that silly dual monitor stand that Hazro do. Or ebay it to offset the cost a bit.

Also, the thought occurs that, having just bought one of those 30" screens, I'm going to need to replace my Radeon 4870 aren't I?

Associate
These new ones are being sold direct so for mine it's clear cut. They warranty it for 3 years with "Business level SLA" whatever the hell that actually means and I have to deal with them directly.

OTOH, I have both Paypal's LOL-worthy protection and since I funded that via credit card I have the protection of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, which actually has teeth.
Section 75 does indeed have teeth, but it would be a mistake to assume that it's some kind of foolproof cloak of invulnerability. If your monitor poops out any time after six months from the purchase date, it's still up to *you* to prove that it was inherently faulty, and that the CC company is therefore jointly and severally liable under the terms of the SoGA.

If you had problems, say, eighteen months down the line, you could argue that a product of this type should reasonably be expected to have a longer lifespan, and you'd have a good case, but then you'd get into haggling over the amount of recompense you could claim depending on the length of time you'd had the product and the use you'd already had out of it.

Much depends in these situations on the willingness of your CC company to play ball - things *may* all go as smooth as silk, or it may involve a shedload of hassle you could well do without.

I'm not trying to put you off, but in the event of a straightforward warranty claim not being honoured, resolving the situation may be a more protracted and painful process than you're expecting.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Well they clearly state a 3 year warranty and surely that's all the grounds I'd need to reasonably expect a life of at least 3 years under SoGA?

I'm used to a bit of hassle with these sorts of things anyway. I got a 1.0 HZ26Wi fully aware of the firmware issue, because OcUK were shifting them cheap back then. I knew I'd have to send it back and kept my old 21" CRT around until that was over.

Associate
Well they clearly state a 3 year warranty and surely that's all the grounds I'd need to reasonably expect a life of at least 3 years under SoGA?
I don't think so, at least not in itself - you can have different lengths of warranty for the same product (or pay extra for a longer one), so it shouldn't be taken as a general guideline as to how long a particular product *should* last.

I guess what you could do is claim that the warranty as defined at the time of purchase forms part of the original contract in exactly the same way as the physical product itself, so by definition the CC company would have to leave you in no worse a position than if the warranty had been honoured in full (whatever that might mean in practice). I'm only a keyboard lawyer though, so take my speculation for whatever you think it's worth.

I guess this is all looking on the black side, hopefully under the new owners (whoever they are) everything will now be sunny in Hazro-land and it won't come to that if the worst happens. :)

Back
Top Bottom