Hazro - Any Update?

Soldato
I guess this is all looking on the black side, hopefully under the new owners (whoever they are) everything will now be sunny in Hazro-land and it won't come to that if the worst happens. :)

Only time will tell. But, I was left with a fairly positive impression when I spoke to the guy over the phone. He sounded like a pragmatic guy who was looking to make a go of things. At £675 for the screen, it sounds like it could be worth the risk - you will pay at least that for a second hand Dell 3008.

One thing that does concern me though is the deal pixel policy. Hazro will only replace for 9 "hot" or "dead" pixels, or for 21 sub-pixel defects. If you go the Dell 3011 or HP ZR30W route, you can guarantee zero dead pixels of any kind (but you will pay £1000-£1200). Doesn't matter too much to me, as I would be using the screen(s) as side monitors, but if you're using it as your primary monitor there's no way you want 20 pixel defaults.

Associate
Another thing that worries me is the return to base warranty. Does this mean you have to ship it back yourself ? The price for shipping something that heavy with insurance is probably £50 a pop plus im guessing.

Associate
i myself bought 2 at christmas 2008 when they were on offer for £650 or so and they are still going strong ... top of the line materials

if i remeber rightly it was only the 22" and 24" that suffered from hardware and screen defects mainly because the 30" IPS screens were made in different plant and i know this when i spoke to a uk distribution manager early 2009 he explained that the 22" and 24" had a lot of teething problems with the tech inside which was completly different to the tech in the bigger 30" as that was based on the already tried and tested apple 30" monitors.

so as i stated mine are from end of 2008 and still running strong unlike the 24" which so many people sent back

Associate
Well I've just had an email from Hazro offering me a deal on a 'cheap' 30" HZ30Wi, only £675

There's an email address to reply to, belonging to an individual, which I'm not sure I should post, and also a phone number 0121 777 2069.
Hi Lum,

I have joined this forum today because the number which you have posted is my house number. I realised this after a person called Graham phoned me saying if I was any part of Hazrotech as he was scammed out of paying for a monitor. I was completely confused as I had this number just from BT in October 2011. If possible could you please give me the email that you was sent also could you please take my number of the post. I have already contacted overclockers and they said they will deal with it but they are quite busy. Thanks very much

Lum

Lum

Soldato
I have edited out the number in my post as requested. We will also need to ask Huddy to edit it out of Post #3042 as he quoted my post. I also suggest that you edit it out of your own quote of my post!

The post you are complaining about is from October 2010, a year before BT re-allocated that number to you, so I'm not sure how the email is going to help you, or even if I still have it.

As you may have gathered depending on how much of this thread you have read, Hazro were quite difficult to contact back then, so I posted what was then the company phone number to help others. Sorry you were unlucky enough to end up with that number.

Could be worse, for a few weeks I got a number that used to belong to a taxi company, so I'd get drunken chavs phoning me at 2AM. You can call BT and ask for a different number if this starts to become a regular problem for you.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
thinking of getting a 3rd 30" for tri screen gaming but still not sure on whther warranty will be honoured or if hazro decides to change hands again just to clear debts :( and customers

Associate
rofl :D

2 of them died before christmas just gone....

so sorta winging it with one just now :(

im waiting for newer non reference gtx680's before i jump in for them. :D

but 285 are sort of old hat now and to think some are still using 8800GT :D

Associate
'Hazro will only replace for 9 "hot" or "dead" pixels, or for 21 sub-pixel defects. If you go the Dell 3011 or HP ZR30W route, you can guarantee zero dead pixels of any kind (but you will pay £1000-£1200).'

That is not strictly true. I am the owner of a Dell U2711 and have no issues with it, but Dell's pixel guarantee is often misrepresented. Dell have a 'zero bright pixel guarantee' (ie. pixels that are permanently lit against a black background) but this guarantee does not extend to 'dead' (ie. permanently black) pixels - of which you need to have 5 before they will offer any replacement - which unless the monitor is very new will very likely be a refurbished monitor which may also have a number dead pixels (less than five obviously)! I have no comment on the Hazro other than their policy is clearly poorer than Dell's, but the latter is in danger of being somewhat romanticised.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=premium_panel

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thought this be a good thread to update on as my HZ24Wi is still working but used as a second monitor in portrait mode for photo editing and web reading.

It has exhibited screen burn over the last 12 months which is mainly visible on white and light plain backgrounds but worst of all the panel shift is extreme. Because mine was one of the early ones, the onboard ROM could not cope with extra settings so RGB controls are not usable so I can only use the presets and they're way way out. This means I have been using hardware calibration to get colours right.

Below are a series of images showing the "stock" colour now, this is how you'd see it if you didn't have a means to create a colour profile, the colour calibrated several months ago and the colour calibrated today. The camera white balance was fixed for accuracy.

5D3_3105.jpg

See the before/after calibration test results below:
hazro_before.jpg
hazro_after.jpg

The Dell U2412m has barely shifted by comparison and that's using an e-IPS screen so you'd expect the h-IPS to be of a higher grade.

uZi

uZi

Associate
Bit of a long shot:

Anyone know of somewhere to source one of the power bricks?

Think mine is dead! The other alternative is a corrupt EDID - does anyone have a HZ24Wi still working to give me one thats in tact?

Last edited:
Associate
wow its been ages since i had a bump from this :D

i too would like to know about the power unit in case i need 1?

i had 2 of the hz30 models when the price plummeted to £550 each in a Christmas clearance sale and both are still going strong even after 6 years only 1 screen has a slight burn in but that does dissipate after a while if you hide the icons on the screen, im going to call it slight image retention :).

...in comparison its amazing when you consider all the problematic 24 inch models over-clockers sold people. :)

so yes i do sometimes wonder when the power unit will fail so would like to know also where to get replacement...

thanks

Last edited:

uZi

uZi

Associate
I just bought a LISHIN 0227B24130 which was mentioned by others a few pages (and years!) back. Cheapest I could find was here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Supply-Mains-LISHIN-0227B24130/dp/B008IG8U5K/ [EDIT: not a genuine Li Shin, it'll work but not sure I'd trust the quality].

TBH, I'm not very hopeful as I think the EDID is corrupt, but the power brick is flickering when I try it, so probably worth a shot!

EDIT: While I'm at it - any ideas how to get the back/stand off it? - The stand is attached by 4 screws which you can't get a screwdriver to. I'd say theres about 15mm clearance, so even a offset screwdriver doesn't seem to do it!

Last edited:
Associate
I just bought a LISHIN 0227B24130 which was mentioned by others a few pages (and years!) back. Cheapest I could find was here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Supply-Mains-LISHIN-0227B24130/dp/B008IG8U5K/

TBH, I'm not very hopeful as I think the EDID is corrupt, but the power brick is flickering when I try it, so probably worth a shot!

EDIT: While I'm at it - any ideas how to get the back/stand off it? - The stand is attached by 4 screws which you can't get a screwdriver to. I'd say theres about 15mm clearance, so even a offset screwdriver doesn't seem to do it!

if i remeber correctly (its towards the begining of the forum) i can recall talking about that even after all this time :) apparently you had to ask hazro to send you a tool to remove the back stand as the fixings were not universal ones, as they sold their own attachment plate for use when attaching to wall mounts and desk stands.

this was a long time ago and as mentioned i never got the smaller 24/26 screens so cant fully help you..

...sorry, but thanks for the assist on the info for the battery/psu.

uZi

uZi

Associate
No worries on the PSU and thanks for the info!

I've managed to get inside. I got a flathead between the plastic plate on the top of the stand and the rest of it and managed to pop it off. Did snap the plastic plate, but I can live with that. After that I could remove the screws and get inside the monitor.

All the caps look fine and I made sure none of the connections were lose. Also checked the solder where I could - all looks pretty solid tbh. Here's a pic of the main board: http://i.imgur.com/NLXBdzE.jpg

So.. fingers crossed on the new PSU! If that's not it then I'm back to a corrupt EDID or something in the panel itself (which seems to be the LG 24" one which was used in the iMac in ~2008 - seems to ring a bell from when I bought it!). Would be great if I could get it up and running again as the picture quality was perfect when it was working!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom