• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Please Help Me AMD or Intel

Soldato
ok all ill be doing is some light video encoding , i allready have a I7 machine for that,

My Main pc will be for playing Wow and maybe Civ5

Ive been intel for the last few years and and really tempted by this

AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz

if i was going to stick with intel id go with a

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GH

Associate
To be honest if you have an i7 system what do you need another for? You will get your intel and AMD fanboys giving you adivce, to be honest both are great chips and will perform well the AMD system will save you a few quid but the intel will perform slightly better.

Soldato
What are you going to actually use the system for? Anything aside from gaming? If it's a gaming only machine, you might save money by going for a single graphics card Phenom II X4/GTX460 setup or something like that. But, the big question is, how much do you have to spend, what parts do you require, and what resolution are you going to be playing at?

Soldato
Then I would get a Phenom II X4 955, and consider a beefier GPU if you're going to get one of those large 30" Dells. Maybe a GTX480.
Isn't there a way to install Windows on the iMac? Think one of my friends have done this with his...

Associate
Then I would get a Phenom II X4 955, and consider a beefier GPU if you're going to get one of those large 30" Dells. Maybe a GTX480.

since the OP has a 460 gtx already, would it not make more sense to sink a little extra into the MoBo and get a second 460 for SLI?
which would give 672 fermi cores as opposed to 480 on the 480gtx.
Although i suppose the 480 would offset the central heating bill nicely ;)

Associate
since the OP has a 460 gtx already, would it not make more sense to sink a little extra into the MoBo and get a second 460 for SLI?
which would give 672 fermi cores as opposed to 480 on the 480gtx.
Although i suppose the 480 would offset the central heating bill nicely ;)

it doesn't work that way gtx460 sli will be similar performance as a gtx480, but the gtx480 will be faster at higher resolutions due to the higher bit rate and more memory.

Soldato
it doesn't work that way gtx460 sli will be similar performance as a gtx480, but the gtx480 will be faster at higher resolutions due to the higher bit rate and more memory.

Benchmarks say no...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/181?vs=158

Out of 34 game tests at all single monitor resolutions, 480 only beats 460 SLI in 4 tests, and these occur accross a range of resolutions. Plenty of games where the higher the res, the further ahead the 460 SLI pulls. So basically, no :)

Soldato
Don't forget not many mbs do sli apart from x58 i7 chipsets which will become really expensive. Alsi rheres always the option of sli gtx 480 when they drop in price in a couple of years. That's what a lot of ppl did with the 8800gtx and that combo still runs anything to date

Back
Top Bottom