Recommend A PSU...

Associate
Hi all,

To cut a long story short, I've had 3 Corsair HX1000 psu's buzzing. The third one took only a few days to start buzzing. I'm looking to get it replaced and then sell the new one on. Full story:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18194876

I don't want my PC to be down for another month and I've finally ran out of patience with Corsair so I'm looking for a different PSU.

Don't want to spend anymore than £200.

I've been looking at the Enermax Modu 87+ "80Plus Gold Certified" 900w Power Supply as a replacement. I want a psu that is going to last me a long time as I see a decent psu as an investment. Current spec is in Sig.

Hope someone can help, it's driving me mad. Just want a PSU that doesn’t buzz....

RoEy

Associate
OP
I thought that but I can't see how it can be the case. My first HX1000 nearly 2 years ago, started to buzz within the first few days of having it. I then got another and it worked fine for over 1 1/2 years until a month ago when it also of a sudden started buzzing like mad so I got that replaced and the third one was fine for 3 days until yesterday evening when it started to buzz really loud and I'm now left with a quieter but constant buzz, at idle.

I really don't want to go through this again with a 4th replacement. I was starting to think maybe something in my PC is damaging it but I can't see how that could happen and surely it would just blow. I've unplugged the PSU from everything and it still buzzes, even when the PC isn't on.

RoEy

Associate
OP
Weird :s Had mine for about a year now, on nearly 24/7 and no buzzing noise. Although there was a slight buzzing noise from the first few days due to the connection from the kettle plug to the PSU, but I moved it around a bit and sorted out the noise.
This should be enough for your system: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-116-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1088

I'll try the kettle plug tonight and see if that makes a difference. Only thing I havent tried. It's a shame because I do want to keep the PSU. I just don't want the buzz. Plus, I like how the modular cables are black. I've sleeved all my cables in my PC but didnt need to do the sata power cables as they were black anway. The Enermax ones all seem to be different colour which would ruin the look in my PC.

Do I sit it out for a 4th?

RoEy

Associate
OP
If I were to purchase the 850w then, would it easily power my system and would it cope with upgrades in the future? I want something that is going to last. What's not to say this will start buzzing too though? Is it possible for components to damage your PSU?

RoEy

Associate
OP
Just read this from another forum:

What kettle lead are you using? the one that comes with the psu?

because i noticed something strange with the one that comes with the psu, i have the same psu as you and when i first bought it the kettle lead i used was the one from my old pc, then around a year and a few months after when i cleaned up my computer i decided to put the corsair kettle lead on, i used it for around 2 weeks and in that time buzzing noises kept coming from my pc, decided to revert back to my old kettle lead and the buzzing/pitching noise stopped! i swear the kettle lead that corsair gives is dodgy, who knows what could have happened if i kept on using the corsair lead, psu could have blown, and i remember at the time i bought it there were people who has the same psus dying after a year of use.

Very interesting. I've just picked up 3 brand new kettle leads from work so I'll try that when I get back home. Can't see it working though.

RoEy

Soldato
If I were to purchase the 850w then, would it easily power my system and would it cope with upgrades in the future? I want something that is going to last. What's not to say this will start buzzing too though? Is it possible for components to damage your PSU?

RoEy

Easily! Click me I can't see a problem tbh :)

Back
Top Bottom