SSD - Doing it backwards?

Associate
Ok, so I've been considering SSDs more & more lately. Despite some bad experiences with them at work, they just won't seem to go away. Something that really bugs me with my F3, is that if I'm doing something I/O intensive, the entire PC responds sluggishly.

With a 500GB F3, I've used around 400gb, I could decrease that to around 300gb with some tidying, but I don't think I'd be able to fit inside the 120gb which my budget might allow.
Also considering my usage pattern, PC sleeps but rarely gets turned off, would I gain benefits from doing the SSD thing backwards. OS on mechanical disk, along with office, docs, downloads all that sort of junk. I could then dedicate my SSD to games, and actually get the majority of them on the SSD. Has anyone tried this, even just for giggles? Has anyone actually found it useful? I understand that the standard usage pattern for an SSD is to increase boot speeds and overall responsiveness, but since I spend so little time on booting the PC anyhow, it seems a little redundant.

Associate
Thats an excellent question, waiting for some thoughts, I want to go SSD 120gb but seen only one guy say all it did was make startup faster, both operating system and I suppose program initialisation, he could not tell any difference with anything else??

Associate
I have Win 7, my apps, and my games on my SSD. In my experience, it does make the system more responsive, it starts up much quicker, apps open quicker but I don't think it makes a huge difference, if any, to game loading times.

Associate
OP
does`nt make the games run any faster,so i leave mine on the other drives and leave windows and office on the ssd.

I've mostly got WoW in mind here, and eve, both benefit from SSD performance. I can't imagine that Call of Duty f/e would be much different than HDD though. Perhaps I'll just grab a 60GB one for dropping MMOs on, and give it a trial.

Back
Top Bottom