Pupils to be punished for bad English

Soldato
Under 'slang'? Either way this forum isn't a piece of coursework so I don't see how that is relevant.

I say it is about time people started getting officially marked down for poor spelling and grammar. While you could argue it is most important to be understood, I believe official written communication (such as business letters, or what you write as part of your job - i.e: not things like forum posts ;)) is a lot harder to take seriously if it isn't perfectly written. Even typos stick out like a sore thumb, how bad do you think spelling mistakes or plain old poor grammar look?

Associate
Meh, i've always penalised students for poor spelling and grammar when marking coursework, didn't even know we weren't supposed to.

My man!

I am happy to hear about this. If it reduces the number of imbeciles who have no clue how apostrophe's work (hint: not like that) or get confused by there/they're/their where/were/we're it's/its then/than accept/except effect/affect have/of (this one especially infuriates) or who ridiculously think that word has an 'e' as its second letter then I may just live a few more years before my grammar nazi-induced high blood pressure finishes me off.

Aaaaand relax.

Soldato
They don't already? I always knew GCSEs were regarded as substandard to Standard Grades but that's ridiculous.
(Disclaimer - any errors are because I'm hammered...)

At the moment, they don't lose 5% of their marks. It's usually something like 3 marks that are available for written communication. In my RS exam, that works out at 2.4% and you pretty much get those free marks unless you're absolutely awful.

Soldato
Because the ability to convey your answers in a meaningful way is also important?

Writing is just a form of communication and the whole point of communication is to communicate. If the person who is marking the test understands what the pupil is saying regardless of grammar and spelling then the pupil has succeeded in his task of communicating the answer.

Because the ability to convey your answers in a meaningful way is also important?

Indeed.

No matter how clever you may be, if you start a thread asking something a question and have the spelling/grammar of a burger-flipping-college-dropout then I will think you are one, as I don't know you and have never met you.
The same goes for most things in life!
You could spend 3 years on doing a stupidly hard physics PhD but if the spelling and grammar are terrible in the final report then the examiner will think you have either put in a half arsed effort or are just a bit thick.*

I personally think the 5% is too little to be lost due to bad grammer and punctuation.

*I am also supposedly 'Dyslexic' and it is not an excuse for poor spellings etc.

Man of Honour
This is retarded.

Why should you get penalised for bad engrish in a Science test?

Your being taught Science, not engrish.

This,
I've always been spectacularly bad at language. In primary school had to have speech therapy and miss most breaks having to practice writing instead. Secondary school, still had to be taught how to right and is still looks like hieroglyphs.

As long as they can understand it, why should it make any difference in science, maths, DT and the like.

If it isn't in a meaningful way you aren't goign to get any points anyway.

Soldato
It's a step in the right direction I guess. You might be a genius at science but if you can't communicate your ideas by writing properly it's not much use is it?

Associate
Okay so marking english papers in this way is okay if your assessing spelling, puntuation and grammar but when your assessing comprehension, it shouldn't be as focused on. For the pupils in a class who are dyslexic, this sort of marking is really damaging. They may actually be very intelligent, just might not be able to communicate this is the right way. In this day and age it's easier to communicate in other ways, using media or just simply talking out loud.

This comes from two and a half years of studying education and almost being qualified as a teacher. It's quite interesting looking into how people learn and some of the best ways of assessing and teaching. You guys should look into it before making judgements. Nice to see people that value the English language though.

Back
Top Bottom