Musicians - What are you learning to play?

Soldato
I played a couple of shows with a guy called Frank Vignola last week and have decided to work out some of his stuff.

I'm working out his lines on Tico Tico:

And two Django tunes I'm working on are Limehouse Blues and Rhythm Futur:

Along with lots of original material.

Soldato
I'll be honest, I'm messing around with synths after absolutely caning Celldweller for the past 6 months.

But I'm awful. :(

Last decent thing I made headway on with guitar is Benighted by Opeth.

Soldato
I've been working on this one for a while now:

It gets extremely difficult after the first 4 pages and I don't have the motivation to commit to the 10 hours of practice a day required.

Nice - not played a lot of Liszt, but that looks quite fun. The bit I'd really struggle with is the right-hand descending chromatic triad run on around page 8 - I've never been great at anything more than thirds. One to add to my 'to-do' list, though :)

I'm in the latter stages of learning Chopin's Fantasy in F minor at the moment, probably followed by the Etudes which I've been meaning to learn properly for ages.

arty

Associate
I played a couple of shows with a guy called Frank Vignola last week and have decided to work out some of his stuff.

Wow you played with him!?

I saw him in concert with Tommy Emmanuel, been learning a couple of songs from their album tab book.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow you played with him!?

I saw him in concert with Tommy Emmanuel, been learning a couple of songs from their album tab book.
I have played with Tommy, as well. ;)

Yeah, I did two shows with Frank and Vinny last week, they're absolutely incredible. :cool:

Soldato
I'm learning to play the Hammond organ... My band's keys player announced he was leaving a month ago. I volunteered to take on the position, went out and bought an XK3c (see the gear thread), have 3 rehearsals and dozens of hours personal practice under the belt in the last month, and have my first gig on the keys in December....

Nothing like a bit of pressure...!

Soldato
I'm learning to play the Hammond organ... My band's keys player announced he was leaving a month ago. I volunteered to take on the position, went out and bought an XK3c (see the gear thread), have 3 rehearsals and dozens of hours personal practice under the belt in the last month, and have my first gig on the keys in December....

Nothing like a bit of pressure...!

Ah love the hammond, used to go and see the Stranglers , when they first appeared on the scene, Dave Greenfield is excellent

Associate
I'm learning Domination by Symphony X on bass guitar. Pretty tough but I've got the intro/chorus pretty nailed. Here's a video to show you the insanity :cool:

Associate
Currently working through "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" by "Between the Buried and Me" on Electric. Been at it for about a week now and I can play every part, just struggling to remember each section as there are so many notes. I'll just keep repeating and will get it sorted eventually.

Repetition is key!

Soldato
Slight hijack but I'm looking to learn the piano/keyboard. I've got a fairly decent midi keyboard and was hoping there might be software that teaches the basics. I thought if I'm going to find out someone here will probably know! :)

Back
Top Bottom