Upgrade from an iPhone4

Soldato
Hi All,

I currently have an iPhone4 and I am eligible for an upgrade. I am currently on the 02 30 day simplicity tarriff.

Part of me thinks that I should upgrade on a use it or lose it basis.

If I upgrade with O2 I will be moving on to a business tarriff (upgrades every 12 months) or I could move to Vodafone. (Orange and T-Mobile coverage is poor where I live)

What should I do - I am thinking of moving to the Desire HD. (I had a Desire before selling and getting an iPhone4). I loved the desire and the only issue I had was battery life (I got less than a day)

I need a phone with excellent exchange integration. Other than that I just want lots of cool stuff.

Ready? Super size me!

Soldato
Desire HD doesn't have a better battery life than the desire to my knowledge. If anything it should be slightly worse so might not be the phone for you.

Man of Honour
Desire HD. Battery has been getting better and better on mine as it cycles. It's obviously not going to last for days on end but would be surprised if you didn't get a day out of it.

Associate
Correct me if im wrong but i believe Blackberry have the best exchange integration (and i assume windows mobile 7 might be decent)

Take a look at the blackberry torch?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^^ exactly, can't really see the point in going for a blackberry anymore (everyone else caught up in the areas blackberry excelled in - in my view)

Man of Honour
Why not just go SIM only and save a fortune?

You are not getting a free upgrade you are just eligable to effectively buy a new phone on credit.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17872433 said:
Why not just go SIM only and save a fortune?

You are not getting a free upgrade you are just eligable to effectively buy a new phone on credit.

If the phone is free and there is no increase to the price plan cost and you would happily continue paying for it, then it is a free upgrade.

OP - do you actually want to move from the iphone? If not, get the best phone you can for free and sell it on. Galaxy S seems to do well second hand (brand new).

Man of Honour
The Desire HD battery (after a week or two) actually performs better for me than the original Desire battery does.

Its not quite up to the iPhone 4 standard but it is very good. I'd say my iPhone 4 battery lasts about 15-20% longer, at most.

Considering the extra power and features the DHD has, its pretty decent and not an issue.

Soldato
If the phone is free and there is no increase to the price plan cost and you would happily continue paying for it, then it is a free upgrade.

Well yes, but the OP could simply save the free upgrade until there's a better time to use it? It basically gives him the power to upgrade to any phone as soon as it comes out.

I never believe in upgrading for the sake of it.

Associate
Why not just drop down to the cheaper sim only tariffs which O2 offer, the Iphone 4 is the best smart phone out atm and getting an upgrade for the sake of it ties you into another contract.

As for it being free, if you look at the cost of a contract with an upgrade compared to the equal sim only tariff you're far from getting it for free.

Caporegime
Well yes, but the OP could simply save the free upgrade until there's a better time to use it? It basically gives him the power to upgrade to any phone as soon as it comes out.

I never believe in upgrading for the sake of it.

I agree, if you don't want a phone or the money then there is no point, better to sit out of contract rather than locked in.

Soldato
I have to agree with what others are saying. I've just had to buy a Desire z as I'm in contract until may next year so why not wait until something you know you want exists then upgrade?

Soldato
I agree, if you don't want a phone or the money then there is no point, better to sit out of contract rather than locked in.

I guess it's down to personal choice but I don't think any phone on the market would provide enough of an up/side grade from an iP4 to warrant locking yourself into a contract.

I'd be leaving it for 3-6 months and re-evaluating.

Man of Honour

Read his post properly. You'll note he is currently on a 30 day SIM only plan, and is considering moving to a conventional contract with either O2 or Vodafone.

Thats all he's doing - taking a contract phone out, like anyone else does.

SIM only deals are considerably cheaper than deals with 'free' upgrades or 'free' phones. It is not a free phone, it is a mobile phone contract which contains an element of repayment towards the initial cost of the handset.

He already has an iPhone 4, as much as I dislike them there is little reason to move away from his currently ideal situation of having a 30 day rolling contract *and* a top end phone.

Soldato
Think i agree with staying with what you have got until something worthy comes out, thats what i'm gonna do with mine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom