best way to take currency to usa?

Soldato
whats the best way to take currency to usa? going in 4 weeks, dont want to take 4-5k in notes.

think my bank will charge me for using everytime so whats the best way to go about it?

Man of Honour
The best way to take money to the States is by withdrawing cash on a Halifax Clarity credit card. There is no cash advance fee (You are just charged interest from Day 1 which works out at a 1% or so charge if you pay it back within a month or so). You can also make all your purchases on it as well. All transactions will be at the Visa wholesale rate.

There is no cheaper or easier way to do it - I recommend you take this option.

Associate
A combination of cash and credit card I would say, though you will probably get a slightly lower exchange rate using the credit card. Just make sure the credit card doesn’t charge a conversion/admin fee.

Caporegime
Travellers cheques? That was the standard way to carry cash when on holiday.

Now I just take a little of the national currency and use my Nationwide card (which doesn't charge for purchases abroad...). The exchange rate with the card is usually better than cash anyway.

Man of Honour
Take enough cash to buy a coffee at the airport and no more. Cash is a ripoff - withdraw it from cash machines in large lumps to avoid the effect of the withdrawl fee, using the card I recommended.

You WILL pay more doing it any other way.

Associate
I just use my nationwide debit card and withdraw my maximum each time I need money, in every country I visit as then only get charged once a relatively small amount (a few pounds at worst) and you will get a better exchange rate that the majority of the money changers out there. Although The Change Group offers great rates and a really good service and I would recommend them if you are going to buy some currency before traveling to the USA.

Man of Honour
I just use my nationwide debit card and withdraw my maximum each time I need money, in every country I visit

Not any more - they've withdrawn the cheap rates as of November 1st. Using a nationwide debit card is now NOT recommended.

I cant beleive everyone is ignoring my suggestion!

Soldato
[Corsa]Fox;17874620 said:
Not any more - they've withdrawn the cheap rates as of November 1st. Using a nationwide debit card is now NOT recommended.

I cant beleive everyone is ignoring my suggestion!

You like Corsas, what the heck do you expect? Madman.

Man of Honour
Soldato
This :

http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/international/eurocurrent.htm?merchant=citi

It's the US Dollar Current Account. Got one recently, you transfer money into it online and the exchange rate I believe is a standard bank exchange rate with no extra charges (I think), e.g. on 3rd November I got a rate of 1.6021 when I transferred some money in.

You get a VISA debit card, chequebook etc if you want but I wont use that, and there are no fees on withdrawal at cash machines or on transactions. It's good for me as I travel to the US more often now and I get a US$ cheque every now and then.

I looked around a lot and this seems the best way to be honest.

Caveat is, use it anywhere else than where US$ is accepted currency and you'll get charged as your own UK debit card abroad. Also free withdrawals are only from Citi cash machines, but they're everywhere.

Handy for Europe too because you can just call up and say 'can I switch to Euros' and BAM.

Until recently they used to charge $20 a month if you didnt have $2000 in it, but they've stopped that, surprised everyone's not jumping on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom