Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I assume it's fine to put a 5.25" HotSwap enclosure into the space for the optical drive, all I need is the converter for the molex power leads?

Associate
cool thanks. what drives did you put in yours? im assuming i can stick in any <2tb sata disk I like. thinking 4x 2tb wd greens or something (nas usage) running software R5 in ubuntu server... thoughts?

Im using Samsung F2 1.5Tb drives (as i have already stated). Raid in Ubuntu 10.04, i had issues, as have other people judging by the ubuntu forums. Some times it would mount, some times it would randomly loose a drive. Switched to debian, and all is working fine.

vail3r said:
I assume it's fine to put a 5.25" HotSwap enclosure into the space for the optical drive, all I need is the converter for the molex power leads?

Yep, just a molex to sata lead and your fine.

Associate
/edit - ignore the below post, the.m a couple of posts down says a straight sata cable fits fine.

I read somewhere that you need a sata cable with a right angle plug as the motherboard connector is under the drive cage. There might be just enough room to bend a straight one in.

Mine should be arriving today :)

2ev4tvm.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Quoted from another site
"IIRC it draws about 48 watts with four hard drives installed"

48watts x 12p / 1000 = 0.576p

Estimate at £50 per year

You could probably shave quite a lot of this using power management

Associate
This little box looks like it could fill my needs very well.

The one thing I'm wondering about is their rebate form where they want a company name. I can't see anything in their terms mentioning the offer is restricted to companies.
40870121.png

Yeah, worried about this too. I think maybe just either leave the company field blank or put N/A?

Just ordered one from the hduk deal. It's a cracking deal, wife isn't too pleased though, even though she's always the one complaining about me having hard disk strewn all over the house!

Can't please everyone I guess! ;)

Associate
Yeah, worried about this too. I think maybe just either leave the company field blank or put N/A?

Just ordered one from the hduk deal. It's a cracking deal, wife isn't too pleased though, even though she's always the one complaining about me having hard disk strewn all over the house!

Can't please everyone I guess! ;)

My wallets not too happy but oh well pay day tomorrow :D

Associate
On HKUD there's a deal for that Crucial 2GB ram would those be good for this baby! £30 for 2x2GB is a cracking price!
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Looks like my server is going to be hosting some VMs before christmas :D

It's sitting in my hall at the mo. Time to install an OS.

Soldato
Been umming and aaaing for the past few days over this, finally given in and ordered one, along with a couple of 2TB Samsung F4 Ecogreens (planning on ZFS mirroring them).

I'm down to the last 250GB on my 8x1TB RAID 5 Fileserver, and run out of ports on my Perc 5/i. My eventual plan is to replace it with a 16 or 24 bay ZFS beastie but I don't have anywhere near the disposable income to justify that at the moment (It'll run me to at least £1500, chassis prices are absurd)
I figure for £105 I can get used to ZFS and Solaris, and free up space on my main Server by moving over the stuff I rarely access.
I shouldn't have any problem finding a home for the system after I eventually replace it either - could put a 5450 in (for HDMI Audio/Video and x264 acceleration) and make a very acceptable HTPC/NAS. I can't see me not being able to get my money back on it If I sold it after a year or two, It's a very versatile system.

Last edited:
Associate
The hukd post on this from that supplier who had 0 in stock have shipped mine today via UPS! Grr wont have time to play with it until Xmas hols though!

Associate
Just ordered 2 x 2GB DDR3 for £29.98 ;)

Picked up a cheap 750Gb Drive today, will probably install WHS Tomorrow or Thursday.. :cool:

Soldato
Just ordered 2 x 2GB DDR3 for £29.98 ;)

Picked up a cheap 750Gb Drive today, will probably install WHS Tomorrow or Thursday.. :cool:

Yeah same, Not really sure that I need it (was planning to keep using my existing server for VM's), but 4GB for under £30 is cracking value.

Back
Top Bottom