Am I overracting? Boots adverts

Soldato
The problem is the OP watched the adverts. Life is too short to watch adverts, and even more so to complain about them.... go do something productive. Like posting on OCUK. oh wait..

Soldato
I see your point Wyrel but us men get paid back in spades. How many beautiful, sexy half-naked chicks are used to advertise unrelated products?

Soldato
I see your point Wyrel but us men get paid back in spades. How many beautiful, sexy half-naked chicks are used to advertise unrelated products?

hey, they need some way of selling us blokes these products that we don't want, women will fall over anything if it claims it can make them look better.

Associate
In all seriouseness tho, a lot of adverts are being aimed at "belittling" men.

And if the boot was on the other foot, all hell would break loose.

Associate
OP

I agree but that was my point. I know products are sold using half naked women, but there are half naked men selling aftershave too. Not as many but there are quite a few. However, there are no companies selling their entire brand on the basis that women are useless and disorganised.

Soldato
The only ads I feel like complaining about at the moment are those GOD DAMNED Iceland Christmas ads. They come in a block of 3 or 4 separate ones, all stuck together with a second-long gap. AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH.

Associate
Part of me thinks you are over reacting and part of me thinks you have a point. But the thing is at this point in time generlizations are the rage. You dont dare be an individule anymore, you have to assimilate, society has become a warped version of last of the summer wine (all old women are man hating old battle axes, all old men are sill old farts ect) And you have to be in with the crowd. That ad reflects that. It is a generalization that all men go over the top when ill and they are silly and need thier women to keep them in check. Most women will find some common ground in that, even if it is not entirely true. But the need to for everything to be general trends, and for peopel to feel part of the general trends is powerful.

It leads onto bigger problems. You would think the internet would have freed peoples minds, in fact it has had the opposit effect as I watch people melt into a generic blob via facebook. Your concearn centres around the notion that all people are diffrent, which is becoming less and less true with every passing day. And the desperation to fit in has become so profound that someone as individule as me gets ousted.

Conclusion? No the ad is not offensive. It adheres to a trend in british society in order to sell its message. Society at large is what you find offensive.

Soldato
No it isn't. Thats the whole point, it isn't a flu/bad cold. Its a minor cold made out to be bad.

Unless you are joking, in which case its just whooshed over my head. I have been doing an essay all day, my brain is dead, so its possible. :D

So you class a minor cold as:

• Feeling faint/passing out
  • Soaking a matress with sweat
  • Inability to move without pain
  • Headache like someone putting a bear trap around your head
  • Coughing to the point you pull muscles

Yeah, of course!

What I think it may be is, women dont do much dirty stuff, meaning they dont get exposed to much bacteria, meaning they get ill more often building up a natural immunity over time.

Men, do dirty stuff, so are used to it, until some bad-ass bacteria get inside them and it disables them for 24-72 hours.

Note 1: This probably isnt true what so ever.
Note 2: I know i said Dirty Stuff, dont you dare take it in the wrong way! :D

Associate
So you class a minor cold as:

• Feeling faint/passing out
  • Soaking a matress with sweat
  • Inability to move without pain
  • Headache like someone putting a bear trap around your head
  • Coughing to the point you pull muscles

Yeah, of course!

What I think it may be is, women dont do much dirty stuff, meaning they dont get exposed to much bacteria, meaning they get ill more often building up a natural immunity over time.

Men, do dirty stuff, so are used to it, until some bad-ass bacteria get inside them and it disables them for 24-72 hours.

Note 1: This probably isnt true what so ever.
Note 2: I know i said Dirty Stuff, dont you dare take it in the wrong way! :D

Actually, it is a scentific fact that men respond worse to pain and discomfort than women. I read once that a male heart would not be able to take the strain of child birth for example, not sure if they ever tested it. Then there is the thing that women can process more than one task and men can only process one. Which means if your processing being ill that is all your doing.

If science is to be belived, and I do have a weakness for beliveing scientists. then men are like a single core processor and women are like a quad core that has been overclocked. The sigle core will find a viras much harder to deal with than the overclocked quad core. Thus it is likly true that men feel colds and virases and deal with them less well than women, leading to women thinking we are daft for our reaction to said illness.

Soldato
I'm no Doctor, but as men generally have much more muscle mass and lung capacity than women, surely any virus like Influenza will cause a more detrimental affect to a man as it targets the muscles and respiratory system, surely this is pretty obvious?

Soldato
That's not really the case at all, doofer. Having bigger lungs doesn't make you more susceptible to cold & flu.

My personal opinion on man flu is that it is worse than when women get it. Women are sick all the time. They're always got cramps, or they feel bloated, or they've got a headache - there's always something wrong with them, so they're used to being sick. Men don't feel ill all the time, so when they do, it's more of a shock to the system, as it were.

Edit: loldoofer

Man of Honour
Actually, it is a scentific fact that men respond worse to pain and discomfort than women. I read once that a male heart would not be able to take the strain of child birth for example, not sure if they ever tested it. Then there is the thing that women can process more than one task and men can only process one. Which means if your processing being ill that is all your doing.

If science is to be belived, and I do have a weakness for beliveing scientists. then men are like a single core processor and women are like a quad core that has been overclocked. The sigle core will find a viras much harder to deal with than the overclocked quad core. Thus it is likly true that men feel colds and virases and deal with them less well than women, leading to women thinking we are daft for our reaction to said illness.

I'm not sure if you're serious or just winding people up. Just in case you are serious - none of what you've written is true. It's just the currently fashionable prejudice, not inherently different to "science" in the past "proving" that "black" people are intellectually inferior or that women can't do maths, blah blah blah.

There were some adverts in the 1950s that were as patronisingly sexist against women as some modern adverts are against men. They were much less hypocritical, though.

Same bovine faeces, different sex. Isn't humanity grand?

Associate
I'm not sure if you're serious or just winding people up. Just in case you are serious - none of what you've written is true. It's just the currently fashionable prejudice, not inherently different to "science" in the past "proving" that "black" people are intellectually inferior or that women can't do maths, blah blah blah.

There were some adverts in the 1950s that were as patronisingly sexist against women as some modern adverts are against men. They were much less hypocritical, though.

Same bovine faeces, different sex. Isn't humanity grand?

Mate, like most people when it comes to general subjects I only know what I read or seein the papers or on the web or on bbc news ect. Have I heard of stories strongly suggesting what I wrote is true, yes. Am I expert enough in those fields to dissect and present evidence on those topics, no. I get my information on this 3rd hand, so I make a judgement, and what I said made sence to me based on the information at hand. If you know better, as your post suggests then please, tell us! Surely the purpose of a forum is to exchange not only views but information, if you can provide information, substansiated that I am wrong then do so. However I suspect like the rest of us you only know what you read and hear and that you are no expert.

Ask me about music and the answer I shall give will be 100% correct. Ask me about anything else and I can only go on the popular information. If you have facts, share them. If not tehn my information comes from popular scorces andis right untill proven wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom