Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Im using Samsung F2 1.5Tb drives (as i have already stated). Raid in Ubuntu 10.04, i had issues, as have other people judging by the ubuntu forums.

Any more info on this? is this was exactly what I was planning to do, i know i could use debian, but I'd rather have the 5 years support with an ubuntu LTS edition.

Soldato
Given that these machines only have two memory slots isn't installing 2 x 2GB possibly a bit short sighted?

A single 4GB stick of memory is only about £40 and will leave a slot free for later.

Associate
OP
I was thinking of only having 2gb ram total in mine (2 x 1gb) do you think I will need more. What tasks would need 4gb ram total ?

Also ECC vs Non-ECC what should i get ?

Soldato
If you only want 2 x 1GB there are going to be loads of 1GB sticks going cheap in the near future. Basically everyone that upgrades one of these machines with non-ECC memory is going to have one spare.

The amount of memory you will need will depend on what you’re going to use the machine for.

For a non-production machine you shouldn’t need ECC memory.

ECC memory will cost significantly more than the equivalent non-ECC memory.

You need to remember that you can’t mix ECC and non-ECC in the same machine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given that these machines only have two memory slots isn't installing 2 x 2GB possibly a bit short sighted?

A single 4GB stick of memory is only about £40 and will leave a slot free for later.

4GB Ram aught to be enough for anyone ...

JK, but naturally it comes down to what you are planning on doing with it. I'd rather save £10 and run in Dual Channel mode for now. Apart from running a whole load of low cpu VM's there's not a lot that needs 8GB. 4GB DDR3 Dimms will only get cheaper anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure what OS to use!

Ideally I want to point media extenders like the Boxee Box at this...or DLNA enabled TVs.

AM thinking WHS or such like.

Hmm...wondering if I should buy 5*2TB drives. Anyone know of a bay converter?

Last edited:
Soldato
As per the Tech Heads VMWare site I'm I've ordered mine for a vSphere box :)

Paid £259 for mine then take £100 cashback off.

Includes 4GB RAM, DVD and USB for ESX embedded

Associate
This thread is torturing me, I ordered a NAS about two weeks ago and according to royal mail its been sat in a distribution centre for the best part of a week now.

I've now been reading about this and thinking for £30 more then i've paid my NAS I can have a world more functionality.

It would just be for home streaming purposes but the idea of having 4 drive bays and being able to fit and optical drive is really appealing.

Downsides for me would be it would take up more space in my small flat and greater power usage.

Really tricky decision!

Soldato
Not sure what OS to use!

Ideally I want to point media extenders like the Boxee Box at this...or DLNA enabled TVs.

AM thinking WHS or such like.

Hmm...wondering if I should buy 5*2TB drives. Anyone know of a bay converter?

bay converter here - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-208-LL

Plenty of others on the search - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?sortby=priceAsc&search=5.25

OS wise anything will do, you can use Mediatomb or PS3 Media Server to get your content on DLNA devices.

Associate
Mine arrived today :D

24 hours turn around, and I only paid for the cheap and cheerful delivery option, woo!

Soldato
I paid next day delivery for mine and its been sat in Parcelforce's "National Hub" for two days now !

companies charging for next day delivery when they know they cant deliver are really annoying me now.

Soldato
The label on the system base says:

50-60 Hz
2.5 - 1.5 A
100-240 V~

You get 2 leads. A Uk power lead with Uk plug, And a european lead with eu 2 pin plug

Thanks guys.

I'm contemplating ordering one in the UK and shipping it to Canada. The unit is $330 CAD excluding taxes and shipping with no rebate. It will work out cheaper to buy it in the UK and ship it overseas.

Back
Top Bottom