Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
no IDE they have 1 SATA for Optical Drive / extra hard disk.
One Mini SAS to 4x SATA hardwired to the hard drive backplane
One internal USB Port for OS that can be installed to flash media
One E-sata on the back

Soldato
@ all the people with delayed deliveries....

Ner Ner.....

16knzpy.jpg

:D;)

So what's it going to be used for? ESXi?

Soldato
Got mine delivered by DHL at 9am today :)

Loving it, seems very solid build quality. I'm just sorting out moving the supplied drive to the 5.25" bay and then it's on to Solaris.
I've not found the extra caddy drive screws though, which is a little disappointing.

Soldato
they are screwed into the back of the removable front door :p along with a little alan key tool to use with them.

I'm using mine as data store and media server + a couple of other bits and bobs. Server 2008 R2 Enterprise just installing now. I've plonked a blu ray reader in my optical bay so i can rip my blu rays to it.

Associate
If any of you came to complete your rebate forms and realised your supplier's invoice doesn't contain the HP Product Code, read on.

HP's Terms & Conditions:

"Attach proof of purchase (reseller invoice(s)) to the claim form, with qualifying products and HP part codes circled, keeping copies for your records."

"The seller/reseller’s invoice must clearly show the HP part codes and cost of the qualifying products purchased."

I queried both my supplier and Out-Bound (the company running the rebate for HP).

supplier said:
I have spoken to my product manager who assures me the part code is not
required on the invoice.

As we are a partner of HP should there be any confusion with the model
purchased HP will simply contact us to verify it.

Out-Bound said:
Please do not worry about the HP product code; we are able to double check the product purchased using the [Supplier's product search] feature.

So there we have it my invoice does have the supplier's product code on it and the rebate company will look up the product on the supplier's site if needed.

A refreshing change from my perception that all rebate deals will be invalidated for deviating slightly from the requirements listed in T&Cs.

Soldato
If I wanted to use 5 drives (1 in the optical bay) could I raid them all or do they have a separate controller for the optical drive?

you can do raid on 4 drives as well you know... the built in controller only supports raid 0 and 1 so you will need an addin card

Soldato
Just running the full surface scans (using Samsung ESTOOL and the Seagate SeaTools) on my drives prior to doing anything with them. If anyone wants to the the same it's painless to use UNetBootIn to put Freedos on a USB stick. You can then just copy the utilities you've downloaded onto the drive in windows. When you boot from the USB into FreeDos, change to the c:\ volume and you'll see the utilities.

I've moved the 160GB drive up to the 5.25" bay, relatively painless. One thing to note is that you'll need a MOLEX to SATA Power converter.

Noise wise it's not too bad, bit loud when first turned on but the fans spin down after a while and it's very unobtrusive.

Associate
Ive ordered one just now and intend to use it as a NAS.

Has anyone used Openfiler off a USB stick with this? If so, how is it, and did you follow a particular guide?

Associate
Installed WHS and currently updating, 21 of 107. :p

Stuck 160gb at top using scyth bay converter and installed whs off a usb stick. Really don't plan to do much with it at the moment other than file serving for me, other pcs and especially wdtv in the lounge.

Soldato
So I'm going to install WHS (Windows Home Server) v1 or WHS Vail Beta on mine.

Should I use the onboard raid or not ?

WHS then no, use the pool as part of software drive extender.

Vail, jury out, I don't on mine, but then with the updates and last talk of vail, you will soon have to use hardware raid as they've removed drive extender.
So i don't know how to advise other than wait and see just how stupid MS actually are.

Associate
OP
So whats better WHS v1 or the WHS Vail Beta at the moment it still has drive extender :p.

So is drive extender like a software raid ? Whats it sort of equivilant to ? Raid 5 ?

And WHS v1 used to write everything to the system drive first and then copy it to the pool. I dont think it does that now though. Is that right ?

Back
Top Bottom