• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HDMI/DVI to scart?

Associate
Dont know where to put this but is there any trusted brands that make DVI or HDMI to a scart connection?

My 42" pansonic plasma tv is veryvery old and has no HDMI or DVI. There are DVI to scarts but are mostly chinese crap.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Permabanned
I havn't seen any cable's or adapters that do it, only small converter box's that can take dvi+hdmi in one side and output scart the other for around £40.

Edit: Does the TV have RGB phono inputs with Left/Righ Sound? I've seen a lot of hdmi/dvi to phono's!?

Last edited:
Permabanned
This type of thing is what I have seen...

317PHYB8I2L._SS500_.jpg

Associate
There are DVI to scarts but are mostly chinese crap.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Since SCART is limited to PAL TV format 720*576 (plus maybe NTSC or Seacm depending on the TV) it would be hard to tell a good from a bad output. Doesn't your graphics card have a S-video output?

Associate
OP
Since SCART is limited to PAL TV format 720*576 (plus maybe NTSC or Seacm depending on the TV) it would be hard to tell a good from a bad output. Doesn't your graphics card have a S-video output?

yes it does i think. is that the small round connection beside a DVI? i have a 460gtx which doesnt have it but i have a card that does.

Associate
can easily get a card with one of them. But i dunno if my tv has that support.

S-video and SCART is like DVI and HDMI; the connector is a different shape but the signal is the same.

You can get a SCART connector which have a S-video connector, composite input and phono L/R on the back.

Soldato
Not quite the same. Depends on source, S-video or RGB or both signals in the SCART output.

Main issue is the two signals are in total different domains. Digital to Analogue. It would be easier to feed a VGA signal to RGB-SCART as the signals aren't that different. And I would have thought there a good chance of using VGA to those RGB (Component?) inputs or even an RGB enabled SCART.

Check you graphics cards outputs maybe DVI-I (VGA) to component, or the mini DIN adapter that came with it to component.

Last edited:
Associate
Not quite the same. Depends on source, S-video or RGB or both signals in the SCART output.

Unless marc has an old ATI card and is handy with a soldering iron then digging up the old 2004 trick of getting an RGB input from a computer to TV is not relevant.

A TV without DVI/HDMI/VGA is likely to have component inputs, the only problem is that any the only cards which supported direct component output was a native ATI X600 card which did not work properly or the optional ATI dongle.

All the options for getting a HD signal to the TV is likely to cost a least a 3rd of new TV

Soldato
Unless marc has an old ATI card and is handy with a soldering iron then digging up the old 2004 trick of getting an RGB input from a computer to TV is not relevant.

A TV without DVI/HDMI/VGA is likely to have component inputs, the only problem is that any the only cards which supported direct component output was a native ATI X600 card which did not work properly or the optional ATI dongle.

All the options for getting a HD signal to the TV is likely to cost a least a 3rd of new TV

Some of the old Plasma could accept RGBHV directly. Combining the sync is more than being handy with an iron. There were ready made RGBHV to RGBs/RGsB synch adapters around in the day. I'm not suggesting he'll get anything like HD, I'm suggesting that he remain in the analogue domain for any likely solution. Didn't HD4850's have encoder chips for ED/SD TV over component? OP, see if you can determine the type and maximum resolution/interlace/frequency the 'multi' input can handle and work back from there. Or personally I'd just use it as an excuse for an upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
i did it somehow with our old telly, but i cant really remmber too much. it may have been dvi > vga dongley thing u get free with gfx cards, then a vga lead which goes to component or s video, to finaly a scart adapter, scart end into tv, s video/composite end plugged in as needed

old crt, tv/video looked fairly good, but omg was text in windows horrible

Associate
OP
Some of the old Plasma could accept RGBHV directly. Combining the sync is more than being handy with an iron. There were ready made RGBHV to RGBs/RGsB synch adapters around in the day. I'm not suggesting he'll get anything like HD, I'm suggesting that he remain in the analogue domain for any likely solution. Didn't HD4850's have encoder chips for ED/SD TV over component? OP, see if you can determine the type and maximum resolution/interlace/frequency the 'multi' input can handle and work back from there. Or personally I'd just use it as an excuse for an upgrade.

just found out the name of the tv. Its a Panasonic TH-42PX25U. there seems to be 2 models, one has HD and other is very basic. Cant find the basic one (mine) but i will keep looking.
when i find spec edit this post :)

Back
Top Bottom