*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Nice one man, eh did you order it direct? and how much did you end up paying out of interest?

I ordered it from another retailer for 450 incl vat.

I called them up and the person on the phone went down to the stock to check what revision number it was for me.

I hope I still get 3 years on-site with 0 dead pixel! Right? hehe

Associate
So in a nutshell. OCUK for example is a third party supplier who if they had recieved the u2411 say umm 6months ago and sold u that one, that means 6months of warranty is gone?
Correct, if you means Dells warranty. As far as Dell is concerned they have sold the monitor to whoever purchased it from them originally, not the end user. I know you're thinking "that can't be true" but, as others with personal experience will tell you, it is correct!

i dont think your statement is true. warranties are started from the day you buy it from ocuk etc etc.
Any warranty offered by OCUK starts from the day you take delivery from OCUK. The problem, as I've already tried to explain, is that Dells warranty is not the same as OCUK's warranty.

So, if OCUK offer a 3 year warranty, you have a 3 year warranty with OCUK, not Dell. Understand yet? The only way to have a warranty with Dell is either to buy from them, or buy through somebody whom they approve as an official Dell reseller (and that list is small and doesn't include most UK tech retailers AFAIK!) .

Otherwise, if you want the Dell warranty, you are left to salvage the original works number / purchasers details from the original packaging. Most reputable retailers will leave such info on there, although they may often put another label over that info. It is also in their interest to leave the info there as it means that they don't have to take care of the warranty when Dell will.

If there is no Works number + details then you have no warranty with Dell. Your warranty with the website you bought from is still intact, but is less preferable for several reasons I've already explained.

i bought a evga 480gtx and the warranty started the day i recieved my item and i even filled out and registered it for the warranty. this works in 9/10 products you buy.
Your warranty with OCUK works that way. The warranty with Dell is to the original purchaser, as the monitor is not intended to be sold again. As far as Dell is concerned nobody is allowed to sell their products except them and a handful of approved retailers. These 3rd party suppliers shouldn't be supplying Dell products to other people as far as the Dell warranty is concerned...

Now unless what your describing is from ebay then that makes sence but if your buying brand new from places like OCUK then what you said i find it hard to believe
You might find it hard to believe, but it's true.

Last edited:
Soldato
So are dell the only people who are like this? not evga, corsair, intel etc etc? very interesting fact you pointed out.

anyways the place i ordered my u2410 JUST got stock fresh so warranty should have started kicking a few days/weeks ago.

So what do i need to transfer the ownership to me?

Associate
Not as far as Dell are concerned, see http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17492488#post17492488

I've experienced this first hand on several occasions. Ocuk may honour the warranty themselves, but if you expect the Dell next day exchange service then the date is from when it's purchased from Dell. Also the Dell 30 day new replacement period (rather than the often less than ideal refurbs) is almost never going to happen unless your either lucky that Dell are short of refurbs or you do a lot of complaining.
That's correct. But remember those 3rd parties are supplying multiple websites. This means they are likely to be getting regular deliveries from Dell, which means that products are generally sitting in a warehouse for a lot less time than if websites kept their own stocks. The typical time period (in my experience last year) is maybe about 1 month at worst, but is usually a few days. So normally you don't lose very much of the Dell 3 year warranty when things are done this way. It also means it's easier to guarantee stock levels, because Dell are notorious for running out of stock and then telling you you'll need to wait months for more.

The second reason is price. If someone's supplying multiple websites they can secure a lower "bulk" price from Dell, which allows for more competitive pricing. EG last year the third parties (the people websites buy from) paid Dell £230 for U2410's, when the average business customer was paying around £400 (prices without VAT). Obviously, if you're charging £450 inc VAT it leaves next to no room for some profit if you're paying close to the ordinary business rates, which most retailers probably would. So you need that bulk purchasing power.

The situation is a mess and I'm sure websites would like Dell to offer a better structure that allowed them to offer competitive pricing and cleared up the messy warranty situation. To be clear, if there's anyone at fault in this stuff, it's Dell UK, since they often choose not to offer competitive prices to end buyers meaning users have to turn to places like OCUK for better value.

Last edited:
Associate
So what do i need to transfer the ownership to me?
Works Number label with the original buyers details (on the Dell box). You then email a certain Dell address, but I don't know it off-hand.. sorry. It's probably in this thread somewhere, otherwise you'll need to search it :) Remember: no works number on the box, no warranty with Dell itself.

Last edited:
Associate
The typical time period (in my experience last year) is maybe about 1 month at worst, but is usually a few days. So normally you don't lose very much of the Dell 3 year warranty when things are done this way.

The last three Dell monitors I purchased had all spent 3 to 5 weeks at the original purchasing company and once the extra 1 to 2 weeks at the next supplier is added the all important 30 day new replacement option had ended which is the key issue for me (I don't mind losing 1 or 2 months off the 3 years general warranty).

This leaves DSR as the only option if you get a monitor with issues that the final vendor may not consider a fault (bad tinting, backlight bleed, few faulty pixels) etc. I appreciate that complaining to Dell about poor quality swap outs may result in a new monitor, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

Soldato
Works Number label with the original buyers details (on the Dell box). You then email a certain Dell address, but I don't know it off-hand.. sorry. It's probably in this thread somewhere, otherwise you'll need to search it :) Remember: no works number on the box, no warranty with Dell itself.

so if my u2410 comes with a work number i can then just email the details to dell?

what do you mean by the original buyers details? for exampe, OCUK's warehouse address?

Associate
Statutory warranties are from date of purchase with a UK supplier, that is UK consumer law, irrespective of what process has taken place in the supply chain to you unless you are knowingly buying second hand. Any additional warranties though run into issues such as highlighted here with supply of Dell stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
I phoned dell recently and they said all they needed was the screen serial number. I was trying to get the warranty swapped over to me as I was not the original owner but they said the warranty is with the screen and not who owns it.

Although iv got all the work number etc on the box they said it was the serial number on the screen thats important.

Associate
hey guys

I just ordered mine A05 and its arriving this week. After reading all these posts can someone please tell me what is the easiest way to identify if my monitor is affected by these issues that so many of you have been experiencing. I`d like to know this so i can return it in given timeframe in case it is faulty.

Also does this monitor needs calibrating for nomal use with little gaming and from time to time some photoshop.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
they said the warranty is with the screen and not who owns it..

That's correct. However the original purchaser is still listed by Dell as the owner, even though they will perform a warranty exchange to whichever name and address you tell them. So it doesn't really affect too much, unless maybe the screen was stolen or something. Most Dell employees (and especially call centre staff) don't know the fine details of this stuff though and most likely don't have a clue how to perform a transfer of ownership since there's a specific contact point at Dell responsible for such things. If you want the email address ask in the Dell monitor forum.

Although iv got all the work number etc on the box they said it was the serial number on the screen thats important.
That's completely incorrect. But if you'd rather trust one of their call centre workers, go ahead ;) I'd just advise you not to lose that works number and purchasers details if you actually want a warranty exchange at any point!...

thought so. people saying how u got to change ownerships is complete bull if u ask me lol
Then it's a good job nobody asked you ;) You can change ownership, but it's true that it's not really important (as far as the warranty is concerned) since you can still get a warranty exchange to your name and address anyway :) The important thing is not to lose the works number / original purchasers details from the box. You are normally pretty screwed without those..

Associate
I just ordered mine A05 and its arriving this week. After reading all these posts can someone please tell me what is the easiest way to identify if my monitor is affected by these issues that so many of you have been experiencing. I`d like to know this so i can return it in given timeframe in case it is faulty.
Just use it. If you don't notice anything you're fine. Seriously.. don't train your brain to spot issues you wouldn't otherwise see.

If you're determined then there's 2 basic checks. The first is open a black background or dark movie and make sure there's no major backlight problems. Even recommending this is tricky on IPS because people sometimes mistake IPS glow for backlight bleed. The difference is IPS glow should fade away with very slight viewing angle changes, whereas proper backlight leakage won't.

The second is to make sure you're happy with how uniform the screen is. Just open the Dell forum ( http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529.aspx ) and full screen the browser. Ironically its colour scheme currently makes a very good test for non-uniform screen tints. Keep in mind few monitors (particularly IPS) are perfect here, the point is just to make sure there's nothing which is actually bad enough to jump out and annoy you. Other than that I wouldn't dig too deep, because once you spot a minor problem it can be hard to ignore it. Don't worry about major problems as they should be obvious from first glance :)

Back
Top Bottom