*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Well, lets start a new one for this year as it's going to be a good year for those who are interested in this thread imo.

We have members who will be competing in various comps, from powerlifting to strongman and a couple of posing pouch wearing, creosote spraying bodybuilders to boot.

As always this thread is here for advice, bragging rights and plenty of banter!

There is already a resolutions thread here but if you want to post your goals feel free.

BennyC was the biggest spammer of last years rather massive thread, he posted 942 times (13%!!!)!!

One more thing, I know there are a few people who view this forum but are a little scared to post questions for various reasons (I am sure i'm not the only one who has received emails from members). If you would like to ask some questions but don't want to post, feel free to email me (email in trust) and I'll post up your question anonymously for the others to have a look :)

So, onto a great year, lets make all our goals be achieved and hope you all stay injury free :)

The 2010 thread has been archived here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18100958

Man of Honour
I was just about to post this thread! I'll archive the old one.

I'd like to echo every word Morba has said. Don't be scared to ask questions, although there are also a lot of very knowledgeable guys here, we'd like to hear from the less vocal and perhaps also hear some new training and nutrition ideas. :)

Let's all play hard, train hard and work hard. Let's achieve and supersede our goals. Let 2011 be an awesome year for all of you.

Associate
I'll kick this thread off with a question!

Any ideas on how i can give my weight a kick up the arse? I'm still floating around 12-12.5 stone. I train hard with a bodybuilder style split (4 day a week) which involves around 12 sets for a major bodypart (e.g. chest) and 6 sets for the supplementary muscle group on that day (e.g. tricep).

I sweat a lot, i always have an elevated body temperature (few people know me as 'the radiator'), coupled with my hard training sessions i seem to believe my BMR is a lot higher than i've calculated it to be (2800 - 5 foot 11, 12 stone, a job that requires me to be on my feet all day making teas/coffees and going on oddjobs around central london).

Is that feasible? Would body temperature have an effect on my metabolism that much? I find it hard to believe i'm not eating enough because i pound food back all the time..

Typical day:

Breakfast.. 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop oats in a shake. 3 eggs fried in walnut oil.
Snack.. 250kcal of blanched almonds and 1 pint whole milk
Lunch.. whole chicken and rice, 1 pint whole milk
Snack.. 1 tin mackerel
Dinner.. homemade chicken curry without rice, 1 pint whole milk.
Before bed.. 1 tablespoon natty peanut butter and cottage cheese.

So my daily calories are hitting around 3600 if not more (questionable whether my digestion of milk is as good as id like it to be). What am i doing wrong?!

Soldato
Hey Guys

Looking to build a home gym (finally). Wanted to ask if any of you guys know anywhere selling weights cheap? I know they can be found second hand, but also wondered if any of you had any links to a good site (theres loads with big fluctuation in prices).

Starting the stronglifts routine, so want to have a decent setup and would rather spend a bit more to get what I need (rather than buying a 'kit' and then it having too little weights and buying addons - in the long run costing me more).

Looking forward to 2011 gym wise ;). Thanks

edit:
Looking at a 50kg set and thinking about that, is that suitable for now or would you reccomend getting a 100kg set? (100kg set is like £180! theres got to be some cheaper than that?)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hey Guys

Looking to build a home gym (finally). Wanted to ask if any of you guys know anywhere selling weights cheap? I know they can be found second hand, but also wondered if any of you had any links to a good site (theres loads with big fluctuation in prices).

Starting the stronglifts routine, so want to have a decent setup and would rather spend a bit more to get what I need (rather than buying a 'kit' and then it having too little weights and buying addons - in the long run costing me more).

Looking forward to 2011 gym wise ;). Thanks

Before today the best I could find in terms of price was powerhouse fitness (when on sale), strengthshop uk (postage is costly though) and gymratz

You will need more than 50kg, it might not all be needed for 1 exercise yet, but its best to have extra weight on different bars so that you aren't messing around swapping plates over etc.

Caporegime
OP
I'll kick this thread off with a question!

Any ideas on how i can give my weight a kick up the arse? I'm still floating around 12-12.5 stone. I train hard with a bodybuilder style split (4 day a week) which involves around 12 sets for a major bodypart (e.g. chest) and 6 sets for the supplementary muscle group on that day (e.g. tricep).

I sweat a lot, i always have an elevated body temperature (few people know me as 'the radiator'), coupled with my hard training sessions i seem to believe my BMR is a lot higher than i've calculated it to be (2800 - 5 foot 11, 12 stone, a job that requires me to be on my feet all day making teas/coffees and going on oddjobs around central london).

Is that feasible? Would body temperature have an effect on my metabolism that much? I find it hard to believe i'm not eating enough because i pound food back all the time..

Typical day:

Breakfast.. 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop oats in a shake. 3 eggs fried in walnut oil.
Snack.. 250kcal of blanched almonds and 1 pint whole milk
Lunch.. whole chicken and rice, 1 pint whole milk
Snack.. 1 tin mackerel
Dinner.. homemade chicken curry without rice, 1 pint whole milk.
Before bed.. 1 tablespoon natty peanut butter and cottage cheese.

So my daily calories are hitting around 3600 if not more (questionable whether my digestion of milk is as good as id like it to be). What am i doing wrong?!

Trying to grow?
As mad as it sounds for a 12 stone name, eat even more! Also make sure you are getting some quality sleep at night, as much as you can :)

Know what you mean about being a radiator, I could happily have a window open at night even when its freezing outside, helps me keep cool!

Soldato
Had no idea I posted that much! I've my own journal now so neeerrrr! :p

What do I win for my ridiculously high postcount in last years thread? :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hey guys

I have a quick question, I've eaten 100 mince pies this week, I have lots of fat I'd like to turn into muscle, but I'm worried if I start doing weights I'll look like Arnie and I don't want to.

I just want to tone up I guess

Any tips?

Associate
Hey guys

I have a quick question, I've eaten 100 mince pies this week, I have lots of fat I'd like to turn into muscle, but I'm worried if I start doing weights I'll look like Arnie and I don't want to.

I just want to tone up I guess

Any tips?

100 Mince pies is far too much protein for one man in a week, You need to start the hot water only 3 times a day diet to melt that fat off and that will tone you up nicely.

Soldato
FAO Benny:
Did that bio-oil ever make much difference for you?

Over christmas stretchmarks on my arms (Well, only my left arm has stretchmarks lolwut) have increased a little, hopefully they wont get bigger because Im now looking to lose weight?

Im also applying moisturiser as I always have done, although the period they were gained I had stopped for a week or so.

Associate
BennyC

RE: 4 hour work week

It's about 600 pages long but the author has set it up so you only need to read about 150 pages depending on what y ou want to do.

There's sections on the following
- losing 20 pounds of fat in 4 weeks using a slow carb diet.
- a minimal workout/diet plan that supposedly gets you 10-20 pounds of lean muscle
- he also gained 34 pounds of musle in 4 weeks as indicated in this link http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/
- also some stuff on training to get maximum strength gains and also increasing running distance speed and swimming
- even a section on sex :o

Not out until Feb for the UK but book depository seem to have it in paperback form for around £11.
Link to the amazon page which is £7.49 if you want to wait till 3 Feb 4 hour body

Last edited:

hux

hux

Soldato
Very plus going from his skin tone id say he had quite a bit of help there ;)

Crikey took me 5 months just to gain that.

Caporegime
BennyC

RE: 4 hour work week

It's about 600 pages long but the author has set it up so you only need to read about 150 pages depending on what y ou want to do.

There's sections on the following
- losing 20 pounds of fat in 4 weeks using a slow carb diet.
- a minimal workout/diet plan that supposedly gets you 10-20 pounds of lean muscle
- he also gained 34 pounds of musle in 4 weeks as indicated in this link http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/
- also some stuff on training to get maximum strength gains and also increasing running distance speed and swimming
- even a section on sex :o

Not out until Feb for the UK but book depository seem to have it in paperback form for around £11.
Link to the amazon page which is £7.49 if you want to wait till 3 Feb 4 hour body

Hmmmm...

*forward link to my Physiology lecturerer*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom