FAO Americans

Soldato
I had tried home made, and while they are good ... they are not awesome

And it is almost impossible to find a good one outside

Permabanned
I'm not arguing man, I know I'm right. :) The area they're from is like a 1000 miles wide, so not everyone is going to use exactly the same techniques and recipes. A burger from Gordon Ramsey's resturant isn't going to be anything like a burger from Mcdonalds, but they're still both burgers.

OK fair enough, but considering you thought the gyros I'm commonly used to was chicken maybe the differences are bigger than you first thought.

I think we're probably both right on some level. ;)

Soldato
Look, I lived for Germany for 5 years, that's what a gyros spit looks like there. I had plenty, and plenty of Doner. :)

If that's chicken it's very pink don't you think?

Do a google search for gyros.

That's defo Chicken, I've seen the same all over the UK.

I think it's a food that has generally got lost in translation in the UK though, most places call them Donner Kebabs regardless, even where I live there are a lot of Greek owned places but they still call them Donner Kebabs for lamb, not Gyros as in Greece.

I suppose in North America it would have to be in an area with a large immigrant population to find places selling them... as I've certainly never seen one on any of my trips.

We have such a diverse population now in this country that it's pretty much guranteed that nearly every high street has an Indian a Chinese, a Thai and some dirty kebab shop! :p

Soldato
OP
i remember staying in a hostel called 'the generator' in berlin and there being a 24 hour kebab shop round the corner. i used to have one at around 2pm and it'd keep me going all day

Soldato
This is what a gyros spit looks like:

FSitK.jpg

Note the real looking pieces of meat? Nothing like the doners we get in the UK. ;)

what on earth are you banging on about?

thats exactly the same as any doner ive hadin England.

real pieces of meat? - the real question here is what the hell you have been eating in your local kebab house lol

Soldato
lol, it's not chicken, I used to eat these for lunch every week and that image is from an actual gyros shop website. ;)

It's clearly Chicken!

It's far too light to be Lamb meat, as in the traditional Donner Kebab meat.
Looks just like the Chicken ones that all my locals have around here... and there are a million of them... One gryo with lamb donner on it and another which chicken donner on it... as per that picture.

Soldato
Proper-kebabs.jpg

Now that's what I call a kebab; not the elephants leg **** that gets served to drunken people. ;)

Associate
I went to a decent restaurant over in Turkey and had a proper kebab a few years back. It was genuinely one of the nicest meals I've ever had. Absolutely gorgeous.
British kebabs taste like arse in comparison :D

Associate
My local kebab shop do a really nice shish kebab made with freshly butchered lamb and a freshly made as you order naan. Nom nom nom haven't found anywhere that does a better kebab.

Man of Honour
I only ever have gyros/doner in Cyprus / Greece - they're actually nice - although I have some of my fellow Cypriots around me who own stores, it just doesn't taste the same.

Permabanned
What americans?

Do you mean South americans or North americans?

Americans is a general term for those born or citizens of the USA.

South/Central American citizens are generally called by the country they come from, Mexican, Colombian, Brazilian for example. This is true of Canada also, you wouldn't call a Canadian American now would you.

Back
Top Bottom