Overclocking guide for newbies here...

Soldato
OP
LMAO, u guys are never happy!! :rolleyes:

I'll read & digest, but I'm no expert...I just wanted to help newbies & stop them upsetting people with basic Qs :)

Soldato
OP
I believe P4s multis are locked - I'm still after a Pentium guy to edit our guide so 'all bases are covered'...anyone?? :confused:

Associate
Something I have noticed from a few other threads, and by 1 person on this thread, is about having to use a 3 1/2" floppy to run memtest and the troubles they have because they don't have a floppy drive installed.

There is a downloadable ISO file on the memtest website which allows you to burn a bootable CD which has the memtest program on it.

Personally I prefer to use Bootable CD's than floppies as they are far less temperamental & also I hate having to plug my floppy drive back in.

Here is a direct link to their download page:
http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

I hope this helps some people.

Associate
Thanks very much for this really informative guide...it's a great help. Just a couple of general questions though:

I've had some bad experiences on my older motherboard when trying to set FSB to values other than the standard ones (100/133/166/200) due to having a divider for the PCI rather than an option to lock it to a certain frequency, which meant that the PCI bus was running too fast or too slow, and I got data corruption on my hard drives. I now have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, which does have an AGP lock. Am I right in thinking I'll risk no trouble of this kind if I just set the AGP to 66 MHz, and then play around with increasing FSB to my heart's content?

At the moment, I've been conservative about FSB, so I've set it to 200 (which somewhat surprisingly works fine - the default for my CPU is 133) and lowered the CPU multiplier.

It's a TBred A 2000+, which runs at 133*12.5 = 1666 by default. Without any increase in VCore, the best I could get is 200*8.5 = 1700 (completely stable). I've put VCore up by 0.75 and am now getting 200*9.0 completely stable. I haven't tried 200*9.5 yet. Would I be better off seeing if I could push the FSB higher first? Is this safe as long as I lock the AGP? Do I need to lock to PCI too, or is that just fixed wrt the AGP?

Will I need to overvolt the Northbridge or RAM for higher FSB? How much is safe (RAM is 1x512 MB Twinmos PC3200, 2.6V default). How much can I expect from this mobo/CPU combination? I'm guessing I want to be keeping the RAM in synch with FSB by the way, right?

As you can see I'm fairly new to all this, so thanks v much for any help.

JC

JC

Soldato
Great work dont think the dons put this stuff up as stickies but it may be used for a final one later. Anyway its a great help for ppl using the Search Tool!!!

//Alienwhere
alien2.gif

Associate
I think a fusion of NF7-S', Telsa's and Chong Warrior's guide's is in order. That would be the best thing since Chong Warrior's guide points out some things that Telsa/nf7-s' guide left out (no offence to telsa/nf7-s). That would be one heck of a guide and would help all the begginers too.

Make it happen guys.

- Winston

Soldato
i have managed to get my 2400+xp up to a 166fsb, and the multi is at 13x what do i need to change to get even higher because im sure it go higher?

Soldato
Originally posted by Mozza2004
i have managed to get my 2400+xp up to a 166fsb, and the multi is at 13x what do i need to change to get even higher because im sure it go higher?

m8, I'm not being funny but these guides have been writen for people like you. So people like us don't have to keep answering these same questions. These guides take hours to write up.

Have a read through and if there's something you need to know that's not in these guides, post what you need to know and I and a lot of other people will be happy to help.:)

Plus you'd be helping to spot any gaps that haven't been covered. Job's a good 'un:D

Soldato
well for a start i have printed out the guide, and have read it going to sleep and again at breakfast before trying anything, i have been at it all day try to get further, i have upped the vcore and vdimm and cant get into windows on 13.5 without a BSOD so i guess i done as much as i can?!

Man of Honour
Mozza - you've got an Nforce 2 board? Increase the FSB. You may be stuck at that multiplier for now, so increasing the FSB will speed up the CPU a bit at a time.

Who's the imbecile who asked for a link to Prime95? Andy? I swear... even AOL starts people off with a search engine.

Soldato
Originally posted by Mozza2004
well for a start i have printed out the guide, and have read it going to sleep and again at breakfast before trying anything, i have been at it all day try to get further, i have upped the vcore and vdimm and cant get into windows on 13.5 without a BSOD so i guess i done as much as i can?!

Ok, now let's say you've done the first bit and found the limit of your CPU, which is around 2.16ghz (166 x 13) which isn't bad. What Vcore did you use to get this by the way?

To hit that, you shouldn't have needed to change anything but your multilplier and Vcore.
If your RAM is PC2700 then it's only running at it's stock speed @ 166mhz, so the RAM voltage should still be default.

Now you just need to get your fsb as high as you can with your CPU speed at around 2.16ghz. I think 180fsb x 12 = 2.16ghz would be a good target to aim for, for now.

Just try it with all the voltages still the same and run Prime95, or to be ultra safe use memtest86 as this runs in DOS so you won't be risking corrupting your registry with memory errors.

If all is ok then things are looking rosey and 200fsb could be well within your systems capabilities:D
If not then try upping the RAM volts by o.1v and try again.

You have run Prime95 with your CPU at 166x13=2.16ghz right? If not then I'd suggest doing this first, before trying anything else. You really need to sure your CPU is 100% stable to rule that out of the equation when things start to fail.

Last edited:
Soldato
um i did have things goin rather well in windows when i had a multi of 13, vdimm at +0.1 so 2.7, and my fsb at 169mhz. it managed to run both the 3dmarks and play games but i havent tried prime or memtest, btw i havent touch the core yet as my temps wer starting to get near 55 on them settings.

Soldato
ignore that last post.
i cant seem to get my fsb any higher thatn 169 with the vdimm det at +0.1 @2.7v, my multiplier is still set low at 10.

btw my default settings for my cpu is 133mhz 15x?
and im using pc2700 ram 333

Associate
im a noob when it comes to overclocking.

I use my PC a lot, but never really felt I needed to overclock it

My system is about 1.5 yrs old

AMD ATHLON XP 1900+
HSF Globalwin CAK4-88T
MOBO: ASUS A7V8X
RAM: 512 SAMSUNG 2700

other stuff not important:

Radeon 9000 Pro
80 gig and 120 gig hdd
4x80ml fans

I was thinking about overclocking my OLD system? but have no Idea how far it will go? Is it worth it anyways to o'clock my system above?

Back
Top Bottom