i've just realised, we are having our trousers pulled down!

Soldato
The only war we are still indebted to is the second world war. Ultimately, all this financial tomfoolery is hitlers faults.

And before the world wars, there was no such thing as an industrialised military machine. Nations did not have permenant, invested armies sucking up a significant proportion of their budget.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought we paid that off a few years ago?
Yes, but that's like saying the devastation left by a nuclear detonation is insignificant so long as the bomb went off. The loan might be paid, but we are trailing in its wake.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article1264220.ece

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4757181.stm

Some critics, including Lord Keynes, saw the loan as a means used by America to subjugate Britain after the war.

(2006) And although Britain was unable to pay its debts, it was also owed the whacking sum of £2.3bn.

OUTSTANDING WWI LOANS
Britain owed to US in 1934: £866m
Adjusted by RPI to 2006: £40bn
Other nations owed Britain: £2.3bn
Adjusted by RPI to 2006: £104bn

These loans remain in limbo. The UK Government's position is this: "Neither the debt owed to the United States by the UK nor the larger debts owed by other countries to the UK have been serviced since 1934, nor have they been written off."

Everything, every single thing, comes back to the world wars of the early twentieth centuries which saw death and destruction wrought on unparalleled levels. The world has never properly recovered from the greatest travesty of all human history.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree, oil companies are not the bad guys. yes they do make a pile of money but they do a lot of work to get that litre of pertrol to you. They get a matter of pennies for a litre. go to the post office and try to send a litre of water to the middle east and see who has thier price wrong.

Soldato
If you have to ask a forum what you can do about this situation the likelyhood is your not going to do anything. Those who are trying to do something about it are getting on with it.

Anyway look on the bright side you could have been born in rural Africa or China or in this country 100 years ago.

Soldato
OP
If you have to ask a forum what you can do about this situation the likelyhood is your not going to do anything. Those who are trying to do something about it are getting on with it.

Anyway look on the bright side you could have been born in rural Africa or China or in this country 100 years ago.

yes, i do count my blessings. the trouble is, i am not going to do anything about this situation because i have no choice though i know i am not alone in my feelings but hey, let's just get on with things eh? let's place bets now on what the average litre of petrol will cost in 12 months time.

Associate
Firstly as the posts above state we should count ourselves lucky we live here.

personally i think raising of Tuition Fees is a good idea as it will stop people going to university for a course that will likely be a 2hr a week course spread over three years and have little relevance to there future employment.

i also think cutting down on public sector is important as the NHS for example is bogged down by middle management. Also the Local Authorities are a Joke the savings that where found when the person came in last year where astronomical (think LA's spending £2500 on a £400 laptop over a period of 5 years)

also the fury over the funding to the police being reduced is very sensationalist on a number of occasions David Cameron mentioned the New Lexus that a police department bought reducing funding will stop this type of waste.

anyway im generally happy to live here (although i do think petrol and council taxes could be cheaper)

Back
Top Bottom