circa 1970 Honda Monkey Bike- Project/Resto

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Think if I'd have stripped it down that far I'd have got a leccy start C90 lump & a "thumper" exhaust on it. It's not fun unless you are disturbing everybody else on the camp site, waking babies 5 miles away & getting dogs to chase you like they have rabies. :p

/joke (Before the Brigade attack me)

lol, i would love to change the engine, but at the moment its a bit of a pain, as its a 6v version. I just want to try and get it on the road initially. I might have a looky at an 88cc kit (piston/cyclinder) at a later date. I could possibly go down the 125 juncheng route though....

ANYWAY

I was having some issues getting the cam sprocket back on its seat, as the cam chain seemed to be too tight. I tried all manor of things, and then threw a strop and gave up for a couple of days.

I posted on a forum, and found out that you have to remove the cam chain tensioner from under the block before you try to re-fit the cam sprocket.. Duhhhhh...

With this in mind, the engine went back together perfectly! This allowed me to move on to a few other bits and bobs...

It was late, so I was a bit lax with the picture taking...

Progress:
Engine Fitted/Built up
Engine Timed up (i think)
Carb fitted
Exhaust fitted
Seat almost Fitted (one bolt missing, need to locate one)
Reat light fitted/connected
Loom Almost completed
Handlebars fitted
Brake Levers fitted
Footpegs/stand fitted
Coil/Spark plug connected

Yet to do:
Secure Gear change lever
Adjust front brake
Fit rear brake cabling/adjust
Cover Seat

Fill with petrol!
monkey1.jpg

Slighty closer up..
monkey2.jpg

The seat is tatty, but its just to get it through the MOT.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Subscribed.

I want one of these to go with my camper but can't find the right one, Plenty of monkey metal foreigners about but no Gens. :(
I'll make do for now watching your rebuild, Good effort. Monkey bikes rock.

I forget to say Malc, if you want a gen bike, your best bet is probably to ask on www.monkeyrun.co.uk.

Members often sell the bikes on ebay, linking them into the sales section on the forum. The other thing to do is just post a wanted, I am sure someone has a couple of bikes that could do with a loving home :D

<Insert VTEC Joke here>

Seriously, a very nice, different project - good luck.

Thanks, its been great fun so far. Im sure it wont all go to plan later tonight if i get around to starting it, but it will be fun :D

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I got it going :D

It works ok, the brakes need adjusting, and lots of tweaking is needed. But it runs :D

Had a quick 5 min ride about. Very happy with myself. I need to do a lot of little bits, but having it running really gives a boost.

Wooo hoooo

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
:D we want video clips next!

I will get some videos :)

I did almost come off the back when i went from 1st to 2nd! Would make entertaining viewing im sure

take it to the next meet in your car, does it easily fit in [strikethrough]your pocket[/strikethrough] the boot?

Im sure with the handlebars unscrewed it will fit :)

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
So yesterday I did some more work on the Monkey.

Rear and front brakes are now adjusted and work ok enough!

This meant I could have a little ride about without fear of driving straight into something with crappy brakes. Very nice to ride, and suprisingly comfy considering it is a hardtail. Perhaps only being 5'8 helps :)

I had to do a bit more work on re-sealing the tank, as it was leaking from a couple of places where i had not sealed it well with the liquid metal. Also, the primer finish was looking grubby after my dirty hands had been over it. So after sorting the holes, i re-primered, and gave it 2 quick coats of the only colour paint I had left lying around (green gloss) Should keep it looking half decent for the MOT, and also gave me some ideas for the final colours!

Next I plumbed in the rear light, and managed to snap the kick start when i was about to test it. I almost impailed myself on the spike remaining, seems I dont know my own strength. This put paid to any further tinkering, and I retired for the evening.

New kick-start was ordered last night. Ready and raring to go. Still need to find myself some cheap Mud-guards (Presume I need these for the MOT)

I do find myself looking around at the headlight buckets, but they seem to be VERY expensive for what they are! So, as it is not needed for the MOT, i figure i can do without for now.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
progress1.jpg

progress2.jpg

New kick start is on, so I can resume tinkering again now :)

Still trying to find a decent priced headlight/speedo combo at the moment. Oh, and I have confirmed from the engine number that it is a 1970/71 Z50A K2. Which means.... No road tax :D

I am awaiting my age certificate from MBUK, and the DVLA are posting me the forms required to register the bike. So i should be all sorted in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed!

I might even put it in for the MOT next week.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Ok, as it so often seems, these things always take longer than planned! Going into the winter, not a lot got done due to a number of reasons. Mainly Funds were tight, moving house, and dating certificate crap knocked my mojo.

Anyway, getting things back on track.

The dodgy old cloth bodge seat has been binned and replaced, and new bars are winging their way (slowly) to me from some far flung country!

Bars - Stripped down, removed throttle/brakes/cables etc, then removed the perished old plastic coverings, and will be electrical taping everything :)
barsstripped1.jpg

The grips are too far gone, and I have replacements here already waiting for the final build.
barsstripped2.jpg

The new seat makes a difference:
newseat1.jpg

Sorry about all the dust, new garage is untreated cement floor, and an industrial dust producer.
newseat2.jpg

So, on with the battle to get the dating certificate, then it can be MOTed/registered. I really want this done for the summer!!

Back
Top Bottom