GA-X58A-UD3R water problems!

Associate
Hi guy, Aussie Allan living in the UK here in need of some help here with an upgrade that's grown into a icehole, simple intention was to retire my watered Q6600, mobo and memory for a GA-X58A-UD3R,clocked i7-950 and 24Gb of mushkin memory. The problem I've come up against is , all... including EK and MIPS have limited support for the UD3R, where the UD5,7 and 9 are well taken care of. Where I'm coming up short is Mosfet and chipset blocks. Mips have finally come back with there multi-chipset cooler (mch-2068) apparently will fit as it visually looks the same as the UD7 layout I'm told, can anyone confirm?? and second they said forget water on the mosfets!
I do have a passive option in reserve (MOS-C1 and 10s) but would rather water!
I do have a dremel and if pushed access to a mill so modding is not out of the question but would love to buy off the shelf parts, any recommendations or parts for sale or tried and tested ideas will be appreciated .

Failing that what parts will give me the least amount of modification to do (Machining),... gave up making my own water-blocks from scratch 10 years ago but might have to dust of the the mill and CAD again....Allan Thomson...aka "Aussie Allan"

Associate
OP
Hi guy, Aussie Allan living in the UK here in need of some help here with an upgrade that's grown into a icehole, simple intention was to retire my watered Q6600, mobo and memory for a GA-X58A-UD3R,clocked i7-950 and 24Gb of mushkin memory. The problem I've come up against is , all... including EK and MIPS have limited support for the UD3R, where the UD5,7 and 9 are well taken care of. Where I'm coming up short is Mosfet and chipset blocks. Mips have finally come back with there multi-chipset cooler (mch-2068) apparently will fit as it visually looks the same as the UD7 layout I'm told, can anyone confirm?? and second they said forget water on the mosfets!
I do have a passive option in reserve (MOS-C1 and 10s) but would rather water!
I do have a dremel and if pushed access to a mill so modding is not out of the question but would love to buy off the shelf parts, any recommendations or parts for sale or tried and tested ideas will be appreciated .

Failing that what parts will give me the least amount of modification to do (Machining),... gave up making my own water-blocks from scratch 10 years ago but might have to dust of the the mill and CAD again....Allan Thomson...aka "Aussie Allan"

"Any fool can spend money" I know,...I married one!

Associate
Is there a reason you want to water cool those particular bits? Besides the aesthetics?

They certainly do not need cooling.

The only thing I would suggest that was worth while from a performance perspective cooling would be the CPU. The rest work just fine bog stock.

Soldato
There's something to be said for cooling mosfets on an x58 board, northbridge is probably not worth it. I believe my stability problems around 4.4ghz are a consequence of the board overheating.

I'm afraid I don't believe there are aftermarket waterblocks available for your board.

When I get around to it, I'm planning on setting a number of enzotech heatsinks into a piece of acetal, such that water can be pumped over the fins while keeping the board dry. I'm still trying to resolve design problems with thermal fatigue and epoxy before cutting anything, but in practice it's probably a non-issue anyway. Crack out the bridgeport or buy a UD5 I suppose.

Associate
OP
Hi and Thanks for the reply JonJ678... yes,I came up with the same results and have already started machining some copper thisarvo, can't let off the shelf parts get in the way of a good project!...you might have problems with sealing such a configuration as epoxy will be way too rigid for that application...and the metal heatsinks and the acetal will have a very different expansion ratio making it almost impossible to effect a water tight seal for any period of time. you might want to look at a copper heat exchange tube running over the top of the heatsinks with double sided thermal tape interleaved ...Hay! 1day hitman...mosfet have a optimum working temp...exceed it and there efficiency to deliver clean,stable power diminishes.
Ive had a non contact thermometer reading 86C on a row of mosfets with a heatsink that just wasn't coping, switched to water got it down to 33C and an extra 945Mhz on the clock stable as!... cooling the cpu is only a start to achieving a high stable overclock, keeping all your equipment cool gives you a ceiling 30 to 40% higher then that of the next bloke and a life probably 6 times longer then someone who "Just cools the CPU"

Aussie Allan

Associate
OP
Update! Enzotech mosfet cooler blocks, WMST-73 and it's sister 78 in fact do fit the GA-X58A-UD3R main-board with two one minute tweaks with a half-inch round file on one of the blocks to clear a couple of capacitors.... only had to take out about 1.5mm of material as a radius.........Pass it on.

Aussie Allan

Associate
OP
I'm taking them out middle of next week again so will post-a-pic then.....really is a no brainer though..........original (it's only one that needs the mod) only needed a kiss with the round file copper being so soft!

I'll also post some images of some Heat-sinks I modified (MOS-1 and 10s) with .2mm gold wire.........I reckon I got about a 150-200% increase in performance, can't believe how many little areas on these boards that can be cooled with a 15x15mm footprint sink.

Aussie Allan

Back
Top Bottom