Router or Server DHCP

Associate
Im just about to set up a server in a small office with 10 workstations. Is it best to always use dhcp in windows server or can I just use the router for dhcp. Im thinking that if the server fails or goes off they will still have internet access which is quiet important. Will it work this way without any dns issues or could it cause problems?

Soldato
Will it work this way without any dns issues or could it cause problems?

If the DNS is running on the server (which it will be if it's a Windows Domain) then you'd effectively lose web access if the server is down. This would apply to existing and newly connected clients.

Associate
OP
If the DNS is running on the server (which it will be if it's a Windows Domain) then you'd effectively lose web access if the server is down. This would apply to existing and newly connected clients.

Thanks, that answers my question. I will use dhcp on the server. Cheers

Soldato
Use the server.

Don't do as the_jetsetwilly suggested, it can cause problems. Just point the clients to the the DC for DNS.

If you're that worried get another DC in place.

Associate
OP
Use the server.

Don't do as the_jetsetwilly suggested, it can cause problems. Just point the clients to the the DC for DNS.

I had thought of the previous suggestion but was worried about dns, thus my question. No possibility of having 2 DC's at the moment due to budget, but I can do that at a later date. Server dhcp it is then.

Associate
Use the server.

maybe i didn't write very clear in my earlier post, (the router wouldnt be used as a DNS server)

the router would perform as a DHCP server
in the scope options of the DHCP it would assign 2 DNS servers to clients
1. Windows DNS server
2. upstream ISP DNS server

this would allow the clients local lookups, automatic registration etc in the windows DNS (server1) and also internet lookups(assuming the windows server is setup to perform lookups internet lookups) if the windows DC/DNS server was offline clients would logon to thier machines with cached credentials and automatically use the ISPs DNS (server 2 settings) for internet surfing.

This would allow internet connectivity if the main server fails as it is important in the OP requirements.
(a 2nd DC would be a better long term solution though as could also dual up the dhcp roles across both and have resilient DCS.)

Last edited:
Associate
Why don't you setup DHCP on the router and DC? This is called split scope configuration:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757346(WS.10).aspx

On both DHCP servers, hand out the DC DNS first and the routers DNS second. It is important that the DC DNS is first in the list so a workstations can perform local DNS lookups before the DC looks at root hints/forwarder.

If the DC goes offline, you can still receive an IP and browse the internet (I recommend a second DC for fault tolerance). If your router goes offline, the domain lookups will still work but you won't be able to access the internet :(

Associate
OP
Why don't you setup DHCP on the router and DC? This is called split scope configuration:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757346(WS.10).aspx

On both DHCP servers, hand out the DC DNS first and the routers DNS second. It is important that the DC DNS is first in the list so a workstations can perform local DNS lookups before the DC looks at root hints/forwarder.

If the DC goes offline, you can still receive an IP and browse the internet (I recommend a second DC for fault tolerance). If your router goes offline, the domain lookups will still work but you won't be able to access the internet :(

Ill have a look at this. Working on them at the moment to stretch to an additional server.

Soldato
As above, I would simply do as ruskie suggested. Two servers would be ideal of course but if you can't justify the budget then it would keep the internet+printers etc going if the server goes down.

Soldato
If you're using AD then you CAN let the server handle DHCP.

Fixed that for you!

There is nothing that means you have to, I have worked in organisations that didn't use windows for either DNS or DHCP yet had fully functional AD domains and I have also worked in a few fuly integrated windows environments the differences are minimal and we encountered no problems what so ever. The only thing you need to be is carefull when selecting your network hardware to run DNS/DHCP not that it should be a problem on anything recent!

Back
Top Bottom