Removing default A records in Windows DNS

Soldato
We are running a Windows domain.
Let's say we have a root domain of:

ourdomain.com

In DNS, the Windows system generates some default A records - basically every Windows server generates a record:

(Same as parent folder) HOST A 10.171.23.8
(Same as parent folder) HOST A 10.171.23.41
etc

There are approx. 10 records here and each one is a Windows server, maybe a DC, maybe an Exchange server.

The small problem we have is that internally, if somebody simply types:

ourdomain.com

Into a web browser it seems to randomly pick one of these A records and attempts to connect to it via HTTP.
What kind of problems will we have if we were to remove all but one of these records?
I'm assuming Windows DNS requires these records in place?
Is there any "trick" to force typing ourdomain.com into a web browser internally, being connected to one particular server, rather than one at random?

Ta

Soldato
OP
Aye we've done that - so www.ourdomain.com does go straight to our external site.
Externally - http://ourdomain.com also works.
I guess it's all down to us naming our internal domain ourdomain.com rather than the sensible option of ourdomain.local
But then, when I set the domain up 10 years ago with Windows 2000 I just didn't think this far ahead :)

Just a few awkward users don't think they should have to use the www for accessing our website.

Associate
Force the links to the correct subdomains into their favourites using GPO.
We had issues just trying to get people to remember what "ourdomain" was, the only way to get them off our backs was to do that.

Back
Top Bottom