So the test driving begins - TT RS!

Associate
its my second helping of pork!

Had a 996 911 and hated it - sold it after 8 months - the day after it went - then engine blew up - TG for OPC Warranty.

but for FFS dont call it a Boxster - cause they are FUGLY - and I hate em - its a Porsche Spyder LOL!!!

Picked it up on Friday - bought it as an x-demo with 947 miles on the clock and £18,000 (eighteen thousand) pounds off list!!!

khushy

Man of Honour
I looked at it when it came out, looked stunning in the showroom and then they showed me the roof 'faf' and we just said WTF were they thinking, they've missed the entire Porsche demographic. Having said that, roof aside, terrific car which I'm sure will be utterly breathtaking on the right road on the right day. Enjoy.

alx

alx

Soldato
its my second helping of pork!

Had a 996 911 and hated it - sold it after 8 months - the day after it went - then engine blew up - TG for OPC Warranty.

but for FFS dont call it a Boxster - cause they are FUGLY - and I hate em - its a Porsche Spyder LOL!!!

Picked it up on Friday - bought it as an x-demo with 947 miles on the clock and £18,000 (eighteen thousand) pounds off list!!!

khushy

Out of interest, how come you didn't like your 996 911?

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Well I've had the EVO back a couple of days now with fully working AYC and to compare its ability handling wise now against the TT RS, well the EVO certainly has more grip and is far better handling and more precise.

You don't realise how good the AYC is until its gone and then you get it back.

A night like tonight, its 1c outside, roads are wet and I can drive the car full bore like a summers days, the car steps out, slides so progressively and so controlled with functioning AYC and is a lot of fun too.

When the AYC was not working the car had a bit of a disconnected feeling, as in not so planted and it was wheel spinning and struggling for traction at times on wet bumpy roads. Then with the AYC dead go too fast into a roundabout the car would just push wide, trying to apply more throttle or steer hard resulted in just more pushing wide or just sliding a bit out of shape. A bit nervous and not so much fun.

Now with working AYC bumpy wet roads are not an issue, just go full bore and it lays the power down. But more impressively is how the AYC really kills the understeer in the car. Now push to hard mid corner and the car will 4 wheel drift, give more steering input and the front end digs in and you maintain speed or even increase it without pushing wide and and then for corner exit you can get on the power so early, kick the backend out a little and just stay in the power as the car catapults out the car. Its actually a lot of fun and its amazing how good the AYC is, you just don't realise it until you loose it.

It basically makes the EVO so planted, especially the front end that its a lot of fun to drive and very much makes you a hooligan. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
So the TT-RS is off the list given that it isn't really any better than the Evo in the handling department?

When I drove the TT RS, my EVO's AYC pump had failed, I wrote the review as best I could and as a comparison against the EVO, but when something fails on a car even though you know its gone you don't really miss it hugely as you just get used to driving the car without it.

But now its fully working again, the AYC really is a big benefit indeed.

The TT RS handled very closely to the EVO without its AYC and had a tad more mechanical grip. But now the AYC is functioning, the EVO has more grip even though it might be via voodoo magic and it certainly handles a lot better and is more fun in the progress.

On a country road I doubt there would be much difference in it, the EVO would be faster, but slight but the EVO driver would be having more fun. The EVO is basically more precise and if you push to hard it tends to drift or oversteer and you can power through it. The TT RS just pushed wide and you basically just had to back off mainly, due to it been nose heavy.

TT RS off the list I think so, its better looking than the EVO, it has a better engine, its better built and a nicer place to be. I'd imagine if you fit the race haldex controller and fit thicker ARBS you can dial out the understeer, but the EVO is stock and as such am sure the EVO can be made to handle even better too, its just on UK roads the EVO don't need it, as its a devastating weapon especially on bumpy twisty roads. But the EVO when it comes to the drive, is the better handling car and more of a drivers car at that too as its so pointy and so well balanced. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Let's be honest we all knew the Evo was much better than the TT :D

Yes and no mate, handling and driving fun yes.
But the Audi's engine is immense, torque from 1800rpm, hard easy launches from just 2000rpm and the noise is just wow, better than any EVO or Scoob with ease, lovely noise. Then the fact it can see close to 45MPG on a motorway run and average close to 25MPG for that performance and tunability the engine is just wow. Its only downfall if any is the EVO engine whizzes around too 7700rpm. :)
Then factor in Audi build quality and they are two quite different cars but similar capable but the Audi is more tunable and an S-Tronic one well not even an R8 will keep up.

They both have great points and bad points. I suspect the TT RS could be made to handle very close to the stock EVO with 2-3k of suspension mods, but as many have said its a damn expensive TT and lots of them on the roads and will no doubt depreciate heavily.

Man of Honour
It uses that newer engine which is both supercharged and turbo charged. :)

Why do you keep posting completely incorrect things? First you say that E39 wasnt a facelift, now you are trying to tell us that the TT-RS is powered by the 1.4TSI when in reality it has a 2.5 litre 5 cylinder turbo engine which is not supercharged.

If you dont know about something, why post as if you do? It'll only mislead people.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;18270203 said:
Why do you keep posting completely incorrect things? First you say that E39 wasnt a facelift, now you are trying to tell us that the TT-RS is powered by the 1.4TSI when in reality it has a 2.5 litre 5 cylinder turbo engine which is not supercharged.

If you dont know about something, why post as if you do? It'll only mislead people.

Fine...I have been under the impression that they were. Further research suggests that they were planning on doing it but it would be to complicated.

So in my opinion TTRS = awesome car, what is yours?

Back
Top Bottom