So the test driving begins - TT RS!

Soldato
I'd imagine if you fit the race haldex controller and fit thicker ARBS you can dial out the understeer

Hmmm I'd be surprised to be honest. You might change the natural balance by essentially making the rear suspension worse than the front, but I can't see how you'd ever stop it understeering under power. The sad fact is it's front-wheel-drive with the ability to connect up the rear axle (to varying degree) when it's told to. All the aftermarket Haldex controllers do is give you more options for when and how much the rear axle is connected to the front. You can only spin/break loose the rear axle with power if that's already happened on the front axle - in fact it's mechanically impossible to rotate the rear axle faster than the front axle under power. At least other performance cars with mechanically very similar 4WD systems - Porsches, Lambos, Veyron, A8, Skyline, GTR etc - have the decency to put it the right way round!

So glad you've seen sense! Have you tried out a Porsche yet? Or thinking you could handle the few extra inches width of the Vette?

OcUK Staff
OP
Hmmm I'd be surprised to be honest. You might change the natural balance by essentially making the rear suspension worse than the front, but I can't see how you'd ever stop it understeering under power. The sad fact is it's front-wheel-drive with the ability to connect up the rear axle (to varying degree) when it's told to. All the aftermarket Haldex controllers do is give you more options for when and how much the rear axle is connected to the front. You can only spin/break loose the rear axle with power if that's already happened on the front axle - in fact it's mechanically impossible to rotate the rear axle faster than the front axle under power. At least other performance cars with mechanically very similar 4WD systems - Porsches, Lambos, Veyron, A8, Skyline, GTR etc - have the decency to put it the right way round!

So glad you've seen sense! Have you tried out a Porsche yet? Or thinking you could handle the few extra inches width of the Vette?

Yep your right, it could be improved but to say it would completely get wrong of the understeer and heavy nose was wrong. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
It might get 45mpg if it's being towed.

Nope the engine is superb. Get on the motorway, cruise around 60mph with extremely light throttle and you will see 42-45MPG. :)
The engine is nothing short of excellent and the low down grunt is very welcome as it makes getting off the mark so easy and very quick without the risk of frying your clutch. :)

Most average to 23-25MPG in the TT RS with little little to no motorway driving, mostly hooning and urban stuff, which is not to be sniffed at for the performance on offer.

The S-tronic does hit 60mph in 3.9s. :)

Associate
Maybe thats a very limited scenario, and lets to be honest, totally irrelevant. Why would you buy a 350brake Audi thats what over 50,000quid to potter along on the motorway.

If you drive it like its supposed to be it's going to be a lot less.

I can get 40mpg out of mine if i drive miss daisy, it's more like high 20's though. You don't buy a performance car for good MPG.

OcUK Staff
OP
Maybe thats a very limited scenario, and lets to be honest, totally irrelevant. Why would you buy a 350brake Audi thats what over 50,000quid to potter along on the motorway.

If you drive it like its supposed to be it's going to be a lot less.

I can get 40mpg out of mine if i drive miss daisy, it's more like high 20's though. You don't buy a performance car for good MPG.

How is it limited?

When I do a long distance trip on the motorway in the EVO its a huge bonus that if I sit at 70mph and am light on throttle inputs and thinking ahead it can average 30-32MPG, which is damn good for a car when the manufacturer states 27MPG is its extra urban. :)

The TT RS comes with a direct-injection, 2.5 liter, 5-cylinder turbocharged engine, which won the International Engine of the Year award for its category just this past June. The TFSI engine produces 340 PS (250 kW) and achieves a maximum torque of 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft). Coupled to the S tronic, the TT RS now has a fuel economy rating of 8.5 liters/100 km (27.67 mpg US) with CO2 emissions of 197 g/km in the coupe variant.

The above shows the Audi TT RS getting a *COMBINED* figure of 27.67 mpg US, add 20% to that for UK gallon which is 33.2MPG combined for the UK car. So extra urban its quite easy to get 40+ MPG on the motorway and 45 is not impossible.

I don't know about other but when I am on a long trip I tend to average 70mph on motorways and switch my driving to ECO mode:D and its only once I come off the motorway I switch to HOOLIGAN mode. :D

Caporegime
This is 'extra Urban' driving - nothing like the motorway

extra_urban.jpg

Man of Honour
On a motorway run, driving at sensible motorway speeds and trying to be frugal I see 24MPG at best. Now we are talking V8 v 5 cylinder but I would be amazed if the car got close to 35mpg on such a run let alone anything close to 45mpg. My M3's managed 24.3 over their lifetime with 6 cylinders, I'd expect a TT-RS to be in the high 20's

Soldato
How is it limited?

I presume he means that unless you spend a large proportion of your time cruising on the motorway the relevance of the 45mpg figure is limited. If you were buying a car specifcally to cruise around at 60mpg on the M1 all day, you probably wouldn't choose a TT-RS when, if you really had to have a TT, a base engined model would be a lot cheaper, just as capable of hitting 60mph and probably return an even higher mpg in those circumstances.

I think it's a fairly relevant statement. Yes, 40+mpg on a long slow cruise is useful, but it's not the reason you are considering the car, and is therefore of limited relevance to the decision.

Soldato
On a motorway run, driving at sensible motorway speeds and trying to be frugal I see 24MPG at best. Now we are talking V8 v 5 cylinder but I would be amazed if the car got close to 35mpg on such a run let alone anything close to 45mpg. My M3's managed 24.3 over their lifetime with 6 cylinders, I'd expect a TT-RS to be in the high 20's

I've seen about 29-30mpg on the S-Type R during Mway cruising, so it wouldn't surprise me if the TT-RS could get near the claims.

Back
Top Bottom