Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Had fun and games yesterday with this. I have it running Freenas with 4 x 2TB drives in a ZFS Raid 5 array. I created a chunk of iSCSI storage so I could move my VMs there to allow me to ditch the internal hard drives from my Proliant ML115s. Everything seemed fine for about 3 hours, however the network connection started to drop every few minutes or so. Id made the hasty decision to move my DC into this shared storage area, meaning that my network was crippled as I couldnt boot it. I couldnt migrate the VMs back to their original locations using VCenter as this also was affected by the constant dropouts, I couldnt get it to boot in time let alone sit there moving the VMs back to their original hosts. Eventually I managed to download the VMDK files locally, and then manually uploaded them back to their original hosts. I may have to look to purchase a new NIC that is on the Freenas HCL, as shared storage is something Id really like to be using.

Last edited:
Associate
First person whose had monies back then, when did you send off your claim?

I cant remember but they confirmed it on the 16th Dec.

Havn't cashed it yet :D

cheque.jpg

Associate
Hi,

Anyone know which resellers are ok for getting this cashback? As there does still seem to be a couple of sellers around selling these, but I dont know if they are official HP resellers.

Thanks

Associate
Hi,

Anyone know which resellers are ok for getting this cashback? As there does still seem to be a couple of sellers around selling these, but I dont know if they are official HP resellers.

Thanks

Doesnt matter where you buy it but for the cash back is must be part no
612275-421

Associate
So I downloaded crystal disk mark that other people have been using to see disk performance. As posted back a few pages im having issues with buffering on a remote XBMC live box. It all worked fine prior to swapping the ml115 with the microserver.

Anyhow i cant see it being the disks. Im getting 303MB/s sequential read speeds. Is that measure the one which is most like reading a large file? it gets 30MB/s for 512kb chunks

Associate
So I downloaded crystal disk mark that other people have been using to see disk performance. As posted back a few pages im having issues with buffering on a remote XBMC live box. It all worked fine prior to swapping the ml115 with the microserver.

Anyhow i cant see it being the disks. Im getting 303MB/s sequential read speeds. Is that measure the one which is most like reading a large file? it gets 30MB/s for 512kb chunks
Disable flow control on the NIC if it's enabled. I had problems streaming to my HTPC and flow control was enabled by default, grrr.

Might be worth using ATTO to bench the drives as well.

Associate
Doesnt matter where you buy it but for the cash back is must be part no
612275-421

T&Cs say:

'The promotion is valid only on new units purchased and invoiced directly from HP or a UK HP authorised reseller.'

So I guess I want to know if there is somewhere on HPs site where I can find a list of UK HP authorised resellers?

Syx

Syx

Associate
T&Cs say:

'The promotion is valid only on new units purchased and invoiced directly from HP or a UK HP authorised reseller.'

So I guess I want to know if there is somewhere on HPs site where I can find a list of UK HP authorised resellers?

I'm fairly sure that people on this forum have bought theirs from sellers far and wide due to the popularity of the item! The problem you're about to face is finding one in stock... especially if you're only looking at a list of resellers that HP has published. :(

I've had a few emails through recently of "We've got this item back in stock!", but they're all the newer 250GB models that don't qualify for the rebate - so be careful before you buy. Even a reseller on Amazon was doing the same IIRC.

Associate
For some reason the NIC in mine has decided that it wants to work in 10/half mode :S making all my transfers VERY slow. Has anyone got any idea why this would be happening? I have tried swapping the routers around to give it a direct connection to my laptop and still :( it gives me transfer speeds of 500kb/s or so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom