The Official Nexus S Thread

Soldato
Ok well I've got the phone and also the galaxy s.the nexus is a lot better made.my galaxy s creaks whereas the nexus is solid. Also the galaxy has over saturated colours and the text is too sharp, the nexus has sorted all of that out.good colours, good text quality and it uses ext4 out of the box with the latest os updates direct from google.

You can sort out a lot of the failings with darkys rom/voodoo but from my experience it's still not as smooth or polished.

I would therefore say the nexus is better than just a few tweaks.

In my opinion if you were undecided between the two and have got the money then the nexus is worth it.

Associate
Thanks VortexA1,

I'm just finding it difficult to justify the overall outlaw for the nexus S on contract. I have decided that I don't want a phone the size of the HTC Desire HD.

So its between the Iphone 4 and Google Nexus S:

Iphone 4 on contract over 2 years with T-mobile = £958
Nexus S on contract over 2 years with vodafone = £736

Even the Nexus S is quite expensive for what it is!

With those prices in mind, people are already talking about dual core phones. WOW!!

Anyone got any ideas how to get these prices down?

Associate
Had a quick play with one in a CPW over the weekend. Wasn't overly impressed, I'm used to my DHD, and the Nexus S didn't feel that much smaller, it also felt more plasticy and less weighty - I like the reassuring weight to the DHD.

Man of Honour
We have a tweet from the Galaxy S Support Twitter account:

GalaxySsupport Galaxy S support
#NexusS owners! OTA update coming over the next few days. It will prevent an SMS from being sent to the wrong contact.

Source

Strange that it's come from Samsung Galaxy S support.

Man of Honour
The 2.3.2 system update has started to be pushed out.

nexuss232.jpg
If you can't wait and want to do a manual install here is the download link:

http://android.clients.google.com/p...cd.signed-soju-GRH78C-from-GRH78.353e2673.zip

Soldato
I like the size, the lovely screen, battery life and the sleek body. It’s fast, responsive, and doesn’t have manufacturer bloatware. Don’t care about the lack of SD as it’s already got all the space I need.

Agree with all these points, and loving my Nexus :D

Andriod Market version 2.2.11 (the new market) has finally been pushed to the UK.

Haven't got this yet... anyway way to force it update?

Cheers,

Su

Man of Honour
Haven't got this yet... anyway way to force it update?

Cheers,

Su

You have wait but you can do the update yourself:

• Download the OTA package from here
  • Rename it to update.zip and place it on the root of your internal storage
  • Shut down your phone and reboot into the bootloader by holding volume up and powering back on
  • Choose "recovery" from the list and select it with the power button
  • When you see the white/red triangle press volume up and choose apply update from /sdcard and select with power button.

Associate
Well I only had a go for half an hour in the shop and I will be recieving it next week when I will be doing a better feedback but:

1) Device was made of plastic but very comfortable to told, and the smoother corners was a nice touch vs a more angular iphone 4 and it was easier to hold than Desire HD.

2) Display was slightly less detailed in Nexus S than iphone 4 but was larger and more colourful.

3)Simular touch sensitivity and speed to Iphone 4 when opening apps but web pages loaded quicker but were more jerky (due to flash content ?)

4) Customisability home screen is good, less clutter

5)Louder speakers (HTC desire HD was quieter)

Will add more when I get it next week as I ordered it online!

Soldato
Had a quick play with one in a CPW over the weekend. Wasn't overly impressed, I'm used to my DHD, and the Nexus S didn't feel that much smaller, it also felt more plasticy and less weighty - I like the reassuring weight to the DHD.

That seems to be the approach Samsung like to take to their phones these days... make them look and feel as cheap and plasticy as possible :(
Shame because the stuff inside is generally top notch

Caporegime
That seems to be the approach Samsung like to take to their phones these days... make them look and feel as cheap and plasticy as possible :(

Android phones maybe. Try the Omnia 7. Only bit of plastic on the outside are the two plastic lugs at top and bottom of the phone. The front is all glass and the back and sides are aluminium.;)

Associate

Looks are not everything, where for me this phone wins is it's functionality and simplicity to use.

Associate
I have had this phone for nearly two weeks now and it has been more fun than my old symbian nokia 5800. I don't really mind about the plastic casing as it feels solid and I quite like the performance of the phone. It is very easy to use and makes calls and texts well. Battery life has also improved vastly since I first got it. I just wanted a standard Google android experience and I got it.

I got my phone free on mobiles.co.uk, here is a shameless referral! http://www.mobiles.co.uk/refer.aspx?refer=cust3002780 on a 2 year contract with Orange. £25.54 a month for 300mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data. This should be enough for my needs till true 4G network is implimented in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom