*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Just use it. If you don't notice anything you're fine. Seriously.. don't train your brain to spot issues you wouldn't otherwise see.

This is my philosophy, I'm happy with mine and don't want to worry about any potential issues. Just enjoy your new monitor :)
And even if Rev A05 came out now, I wouldn't update it as that what I paid OCUK to do and don't plan on doing so anyway. I'm amongst the lucky ones not to have issues and don't want any issues popping up (or tempting fate) by updating the U2410 when its not necessary.

Associate
I also have the A05.
My experience.

No pink tint, no dead pixel.
Black light bleed, a bit but I can live with it . Much more bleed than my Benq F241wz (which is very uniform)

Colour accuracy out of the box, a complete joke. Very green-ish! I thought I had a green tint from look at that but fixed it via custom colour. Ouf!

Displayport - flick flick and flick some more while connected to my XFX5870 (Crossfire).
Not had time to work that one out yet. Aliens vs Predator won't even run when the card is connected to the Displayport of the u2410.

Associate
Hi guys, Just got my 24" Dell u2410 rev A05 monitor, picture quality and colours are fantastic also No dead pixels or tint.
Unfortunately the panel suffers from IPS glow or backlight bleed. When displaying a black screen there is light in each bottom corner of the screen and the whole screen is cloudy grey.
It's also noticeable on the black bars when watching movies. Problems are not as noticeable when viewing web pages.
In the day its does not look so bad but at night or when the room is dark its terrible.
My brightness and contrast are both set at 30 and I’m using the SRGB preset mode.
Reducing the brightness and contrast does not improve the glow even when turned fully down.
My other monitor is a 19" Dell 2007 (IPS) and this has very good blacks so i was very surprised to see that the u2410 was not as good.

u2410 owners what are your blacks like do you get a nice solid black screen with not a lot of glow?
one of the reviewed u2410 had fantastic blacks with no glow at all, maybe each panel differs?
Would it be worth exchanging the monitor for a replacement in hope of getting a better one?
I have been looking at the Dell u2311h may give this one a try as its said to give great blacks?

Hope you guys can help

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys, Just got my 24" Dell u2410 rev A05 monitor, picture quality and colours are fantastic also No dead pixels or tint.
Unfortunately the panel suffers from IPS glow or backlight bleed. When displaying a black screen there is light in each bottom corner of the screen and the whole screen is cloudy grey.
It's also noticeable on the black bars when watching movies. Problems are not as noticeable when viewing web pages.
In the day its does not look so bad but at night or when the room is dark its terrible.
My brightness and contrast are both set at 30 and I’m using the SRGB preset mode.
Reducing the brightness and contrast does not improve the glow even when turned fully down.
My other monitor is a 19" Dell 2007 (IPS) and this has very good blacks so i was very surprised to see that the u2410 was not as good.

u2410 owners what are your blacks like do you get a nice solid black screen with not a lot of glow?
one of the reviewed u2410 had fantastic blacks with no glow at all, maybe each panel differs?
Would it be worth exchanging the monitor for a replacement in hope of getting a better one?
I have been looking at the Dell u2311h may give this one a try as its said to give great blacks?

Hope you guys can help

I wonder why Dell calls it RevA05 when on their site they are only up to Rev A02.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19359760/19807536.aspx

Posted by DELL-Chris M
replied on 01-10-2011 2:07 PM

Update – The A05s your seeing in other regions were given that number change due to non-hardware related changes made at the factories in those regions. The latest hardware revision is A02.

Posted by DELL-Chris M
replied on 01-13-2011 11:38 AM

All U2410s coming from our factories and repair centers are A02. So it makes sense that the A05 would be an A02.

Its getting puzzling.:confused:

Associate
Here's a reminder for those that haven't yet checked out Today Only, the monitor is now at a very good price of only £437.99.

BUT, it no longer comes with any REV updates according to the title of the product on Ocuk website . This would have put me off buying it due to the well-known issues raised in this thread, Dells own forum, and many review sites.

Unless you're updating the firmware yourself then jump in and get yourself a great deal.

Associate

This has been bothering me since I got my u2410 REV02 and never properly watched movies. Only because of the low quality of backlit LCD and lack of refinement to determine dark scenes as one dark scenery blends into an actors dark coat - with all light off and brightness/contrast of 24/40. On the other hand, any movie with plenty of bight scenery is excellent to show the clarify, vivid colours and sharpness of the 2410.

I haven't calibrated mine but I do have a HueyPro at a friends house but will it make any difference?

Caporegime
ive had my u2410 [a01 with 5 yr warranty] for a year now and the blacks arent the best, theres a slight yellow hue present towards the bottom of the screen, but only subtle,

my u2711 is much better on the blacks, so i always watch films on this, dont know why, just seems that way, i tend to have brightness on these at 20-40
but like FMT said above the bright films like ironman or animated films look so vibrant

Associate
U2410's are rated as the best 24inch monitors no?

is the tinting REALLY that noticeable?.....that's the only issue right?

They're not the best you can get for a 24" unless your intention is to use for medical purposes or movie production where the blacks are always uniformed and viewing angles are excellent. But your talking in excess of at least £1,500 for the best quality which is why we have the cut-down consumer versions where the quality isn't critical for domestic use (bar the accurate of the colours which is damn good).

What is great with mine - if we can talk about positives for a bit as its too easy to criticise - is there is perfect colour, no banding or tinting at all, and very accurate colours. Plus with the main use being gaming, the response times are very good and I get a lot less noticeable screen-tear with fast action games. Screen has amazing brightness, so bright you don't need a light on when your working to read ;) The brightness is useful for my photo restoration work to detect all the small marks/scratches which my poor Asus MW221 kept missing.

Associate
Cool. Although I meant to ask if you get the bars/ lines above and below the picture? Or is that something else I'm getting confused with?

I can see what you mean as this monitor is 1920x1200 and whilst u2410 can do 1920x1080 fine for PS3, you will get black bars above/below unless you decide to turn off 1:1 pixel mapping to stretch it a bit to fill the whole screen. I always prefer 1:1 mapping for accurate perspective no matter if I get any black bars.

Are you using going to use the u2410 just for PS3 use - seems extravagant if yes?

Associate
I can see what you mean as this monitor is 1920x1200 and whilst u2410 can do 1920x1080 fine for PS3, you will get black bars above/below unless you decide to turn off 1:1 pixel mapping to stretch it a bit to fill the whole screen. I always prefer 1:1 mapping for accurate perspective no matter if I get any black bars.

Are you using going to use the u2410 just for PS3 use - seems extravagant if yes?

Ah, could put me off this monitor then :(

Will be used for PC (gaming/ general), PS3 (gaming/ Blu Ray) and I'll use a Freeview box for TV.

Associate
Ah, could put me off this monitor then :(

Will be used for PC (gaming/ general), PS3 (gaming/ Blu Ray) and I'll use a Freeview box for TV.

Just get the Dell then, it will be fine for most games. As your using it for PC use too, it reminded me of this YouTube video that should make your decision easier.

You may also find this review useful. Read the full page as there are interesting points.

Back
Top Bottom