• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Says Bulldozer Is 50% Faster than Core i7

Soldato
Cheaper Intel? Sandy Bridge i5 and i3 look like being the best value chips from Intel in years. From previews of i3-2100 I've seen AMD had better have some spectacular chips up its sleeve or Intel will have the gaming market sown up apart from the very cheapest options.

Caporegime
Cheaper Intel? Sandy Bridge i5 and i3 look like being the best value chips from Intel in years. From previews of i3-2100 I've seen AMD had better have some spectacular chips up its sleeve or Intel will have the gaming market sown up apart from the very cheapest options.

People seem quite happy to ignore that its AMD's pricing on low end through their hex cores that is keeping Intel pricing in check already. If their hex core chip wasn't available for, not checked in a while, sub £150 for the slowest ones, a 2500/2600k wouldn't be as cheap as they were, and the older chips would be priced higher.

Remember that by keeping in check just SOME of the Intel range it keeps the rest in check. So Intel sell i3's silly cheap because AMD has stupidly cheap quad cores and hex cores available, that means i5 quads can't be "that" much more expensive because if a really good dual core costs £72 after a quick check, and will actually deal with most situations pretty damn well, then almost no one would buy a quad core if it was £400 because it just wouldn't be worth it.

Now if AMD weren't forcing Intel's hand at the low end, say a i3 dual core was £120, or heck, £150, then a £300 quad core doesn't look unreasonable.

Sure some people would by the £1000 hex core i7's anyway, but not many people.

AMD dual/quad/hex core pricing on current chips is keeping all but Intel's hex core pricing in check already.

Soldato
AFAIK they don't have any intention of doing so, think about it Intel are slamming the door in the faces of the enthusiast community with the whole crippling overclocking business, because they have no competition.

intel sell 100's of millions of CPU's I would not think they really care if a few 100,000 get overclocked...

Permabanned
AMD are better than Intel in my opinion. Sure the quad-core i7's have 8 threads instead of six, sure the hex core 980X has 12 threads instead of 6. But you have to think about it, AMD give the best power for money versus competition, AMD were the first to market DX11 cards, They will be the first to release 8-core desktop cpu's. Thats my opinion anyway :) but I will never, without a doubt, disagree that the 980x is a beast to be reckoned with. That cpu is a monster :) its just its price..

Soldato
OP
Well thats AMD's marketing ploy.

They try to make it so that you cant ignore there products because bang for buck they are good buys.

Its hard tho, becuase Nvidia and Intel go down the "You want the best"? Then you buy our product at inflated prices...

Both have their merits.

However I think the clue to the new AMD processors is in the codename. Bulldozer.

Literally means we will just plough through data, and chuck it around, to gain performance...

Where as SB sounds a bit more elegant, like a ballerina. (Sting like a bee float like a butterfly is what I mean)

Where as Bulldozer, is punch you in the face like mike Tyson, see if you can stand up.

Last edited:
Associate
I have an overclocked i7 975 EE.

I see no reason to upgrade at all.
Maybe in 10 years, when microsoft word 2020 is out and video games are on holodecks.

Until then, my CPU is fine.

Back
Top Bottom