SharkLAN LAN party.

Associate
Not sure if I'll get my wrists slapped for mentioning this, but I'm in the middle of organising a LAN event in the North Yorkshire area and wondered how many people on here would be interested?

The date's not set yet (though it'll be some time between 16th April and 2nd May over a few days. There's no definite venue yet as the details are being formalised, but capacity will be around 250 and it'll be BYOC only (Xbox or PC).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Might be better in the gamers forum ;)

I thought that at first, but because the event's both Xbox and PC and I didn't fancy making two threads, figured it better put in here for the mods to decide

Where abouts in the North, Aberdeen is a bit further north than York...

Sorry, I should have explained that in the OP. We're currently looking at a location in North Yorkshire none too far from the A1, which is perfect for transport links (though weirdly lacks a train station).

An OCUK competitor has their own LANs in their shop in Scotland, but there doesn't seem to be much between Staffordshire and that, hence setting this up.

Edit: Oh fair enough, it's been shifted to PC gaming anyway :p

Last edited:
Associate
Why are there never any LANs in the Midlands.

feelsbadman.jpg

I dont know about open LANs, but we hold the biggest University LANs in the country at Loughborough, 100+ usually.

dscf0012yj.jpg

Associate
OP
Have you ever run a LAN of this scale before?

Not personally, in fact I've never run a LAN before, I'm just the PR person :p The lads who are managing the network have done similar before now (32 player LAN). It's nowhere near this scale but if they're confident they can run it, I'll let them

Let me know if you need any advice/etc on running things. I used to run quite a large Manchester lan.

That would be helpful actually, we need a couple more staff members to set up and run the network, add me on facebook or MSN (Your choice, I'll send an email with my name) and we'll talk :p

Why are there never any LANs in the Midlands.

feelsbadman.jpg

There is, as much as I dislike promoting the competition Epic.LAN is in Uttoxeter racecourse next month (and no doubt they'll be doing one around the same time as we are in Easter)

Associate
Hmm, i'm sure the people you have are very good, but the difference running a 32 man LAN and 100 is massive, let alone 250. Im sure FrenchTart will give you pointers, but you need experience and money to get things going. For our 100 person LANs we use about £4000 worth of equipment, which was bought second hand. We also get the Internet for free from our uni.
There was talk of an OcUK forum LAN last year, i did some estimates of what we would have needed to do it, the first total was about £10,000 for 250 people. It all really depends on what you have already and what you need to buy just to make the LAN work.

Associate
OP
Hmm, i'm sure the people you have are very good, but the difference running a 32 man LAN and 100 is massive, let alone 250. Im sure FrenchTart will give you pointers, but you need experience and money to get things going. For our 100 person LANs we use about £4000 worth of equipment, which was bought second hand. We also get the Internet for free from our uni.
There was talk of an OcUK forum LAN last year, i did some estimates of what we would have needed to do it, the first total was about £10,000 for 250 people. It all really depends on what you have already and what you need to buy just to make the LAN work.

All in hand, bearing in mind it's strictly BYOC. I'm coming out with similar figures to yourself, but being Yorkshire and firmly believing in the saying "Shy bairns get nowt" we've pretty much got the money/equipment side of it covered.

I'm curious as to Blackbadger posted, I can't see it for some reason :(

Associate
A "Portable" 200kw Power Supply - half joking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPPKx_nCiA&feature=player_embedded

At least no one would be moaning about the gpu fans making too much noise.

However its not unuseuall for enthusiasts pc's to draw nearly 1kw with peripherals/monitor. A hundred+ of them and you have serious issues.
Even if everyone had lower power xbox's + lcd's you'd still be looking at min 75kw load.

With this amount of power consumption you will be dealing with very high end dangerous amounts of current.. A real electrician will be needed. - Just distributing the power safely around the room with enough sockets, is a logistical nightmare.
Each person will require a absolute minimum of 2 sockets ? 1 for psu 1 for monitor. Probabbly 3-4 to be safe. You can't have people daisy chaining multi plug adaptors off your system. So you may end up having to provide 750+ surge protected sockets. Maybe you could share a 6 socket gangway between every 2 seats.

These will need to be patched into multiple industrial circuit breakers. You cant have 1 person climbing under the table frying themself, and taking out every one else's system in the process.

The actuall networking side is comparitively easy. (still a huge amount of cables/patches/switches) Luckily a rack of switches/routers for that many are readily available 2nd hand, due to companies often upgrading)

Imo your jumping way to far into the deep end. Ramping up from a comfortable classroom size of 32 to 250 is madness, and asking for failure.

Associate
OP
A "Portable" 200kw Power Supply - half joking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPPKx_nCiA&feature=player_embedded

At least no one would be moaning about the gpu fans making too much noise.

However its not unuseuall for enthusiasts pc's to draw nearly 1kw with peripherals/monitor. A hundred+ of them and you have serious issues.
Even if everyone had lower power xbox's + lcd's you'd still be looking at min 75kw load.

With this amount of power consumption you will be dealing with very high end dangerous amounts of current.. A real electrician will be needed. - Just distributing the power safely around the room with enough sockets, is a logistical nightmare.
Each person will require a absolute minimum of 2 sockets ? 1 for psu 1 for monitor. Probabbly 3-4 to be safe. You can't have people daisy chaining multi plug adaptors off your system. So you may end up having to provide 750+ surge protected sockets. Maybe you could share a 6 socket gangway between every 2 seats.

These will need to be patched into multiple industrial circuit breakers. You cant have 1 person climbing under the table frying themself, and taking out every one else's system in the process.

The actuall networking side is comparitively easy. (still a huge amount of cables/patches/switches) Luckily a rack of switches/routers for that many are readily available 2nd hand, due to companies often upgrading)

Imo your jumping way to far into the deep end. Ramping up from a comfortable classroom size of 32 to 250 is madness, and asking for failure.

In total honesty I never thought of the electrical side of it, the venue we're currently having words with can provide x amount of electrical outlets and people will be bringing their own power strip (there will be a "To bring" list on the forum soon).

If people run their computers at an average of 600w (And most of the games in the list don't require anywhere near that amount) We'll need 150Kw. The venue runs floodlights and outdoor events as it is so depending how much they can provide, we can just provide the difference (or so I assume).

Associate
Other things to consider.

Security - network based. Some may come with nasty's on the system ready to infect others on the network, or even disrupt the infrastructure with. This maybe intentional or not. You will need more than just a series of switch's connecting everyone.

Security Human - You will need some "Heavy's" to keep things in order. - kids can fight and squabble. Others will take advantage of prize items being left unatended. A group of Scallys may turn up uninvited.

Servers. - You will neeed to preconfigure game servers for whatever games you are having your competitions for/suggesting people play. So you will need multiple "Counter Strike - as a example" servers ready and tested for people to connect to.
A patch/Game file server.. You will need to have all this setup, otherwise the internet link you have will die in seconds.. Everyone will need to be patched to the same version of games etc.

What internet access will be provided, if any?
Maybe some games need to be patched via online, or need online authentication to play. You need to figure out how this can be locked down to certain sites only, (some wise guys will no doubt try torrenting/youtube etc).

Medical. With that many people someone is bound to drop a tower on a foot. Fall over, have asthma attack etc.. Having someone who knows how to deal with all of this, have access to contacts etc will be needed.

Toilets - 250 people will poop a lot ! Are the facilities sutiable ?

Food. - You will need a shop/cafe. Maybe speak to local pizza/fast food companies to arrange for mass deliverys.. You can negotiate good deals even with large chain companies if done well in advance.

Sleeping arrangements.. how long is the event going to last ?

The list goes on.

Back
Top Bottom