• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** 25/02/2011 EXTENSION! *** DEAL OF CENTURY: Asus GeForce GTX 480 1536MB Graphics Card with 2 FREE

Soldato
What a great post.

Thanks very much for that information Mr Krugga, I have that exact Corsair PSU and I really don't want to spend a fortune getting another one! OcUK don't seem to stock the modular Corsair's anymore :(

Thank you. There's quite a lot of misleading information regarding power supply units and I thought that pointing out some common misconceptions would be helpful for some in this thread.

OcUK does stock modular Corsair PSUs, they do seem a little overpriced though (HX range starts with 650W at over £100...).

Look at HX and AX over here if you're interested - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=123&subid=1084&sortby=priceAsc.

I hate to say it but most of these PSUs can be had for £10-20 less from competitors.

Soldato
1GB v 1.5GB of vram says 480 to me.

Yeah i suppose.
I wasn't actually thinking of upgrading but with it being such a good deal and with there being no warranty on my BFG it seems like a good idea. Also i was thinking about getting another monitor, an SSD and OC'ing my Q6600 so it seems like that would be a nice upgrade :D

Soldato
really can't decide if it is worth me upgrading. I might just go for it and if it doesn't make a huge amount of difference i could just sell it and probably get more for it then i paid! Win win!

Associate
Crysis a that res does go over the 1gig limit by a few meg.

From all the benchmarks I've seen at 1920*1200, the 768MB GTX 460 is never restricted by its VRAM, that's with AA applied.

I'd assume anyone with a 30" monitor would be going for a 1GB minimum graphics card. Any resolution below that, 95% of time you won't need 1GB.

Permabanned
Or could introduce hitching into the game since the cards exceeded its ram limit.

I used to run modded oblivion ages ago on a pair of 512 mb 3850s, and the Vram usage was around 700-900 meg, but without any such hitching or choppiness.

I suppose I'd never notice not having enough Vram with the speed of two cards that I've always had :D

Soldato
Just to point out very few games will go over 1GB VRAM usage, even at 2560*1600. I play at 1080p with a 768MB GTX 460 with no issue whatsoever. Playing the likes of Crysis with 4xAA no sweat.

Yeah at 1680x1050 crysis 4xAA goes over 1GB, you must really enjoy stuttering gameplay with large FPS drops.

Which will reduce overall FPS by 2. Big deal?

lol you think that's all that happens when you exceed your Vram limit, why go 2GB card when we cans settle for a 768 or 512mb card, even if a game goes over the vram limit by 1GB the penalty is only a 2 fps drop lol. Fact is going over Vram limit will induce large FPS drop akin to lag and hitching. The speed of the GFX card has got nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Fact is going over Vram limit will induce large FPS drop akin to lag and hitching. The speed of the GFX card has got nothing to do with it.

Ok. I've yet to see anything like that happen on a 1 Gb card.

Also I never said the difference of going 1 Gb over your Vram limit would be 2 FPS, but the difference of going 100-200 mb over is completely minimal.

But if Vram is such a huge issue to you, then why not reccomend a 2 Gb GTX 560 over a 1.5 Gb GTX 480?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom