Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Sorry if this has been covered earlier, but what have you done about the wiring (or is there a version of the P400 with the required socket)?
The whole thing is a bit ghetto at the moment tbh.

My P400 SFF-8484 connectors are on the rear of the card so i've got 2 SFF-8484 to SATA fan out cables, one 45cm and one 70cm. I've removed the existing back plate of the drive cages and shifted 120mm rear fan from the inside to outsite to give me more room to work with behind the drives. Using the 70cm cable + power extensions to 4 drive slots i can get drives within there caddies in and out of the front (just). It's not pretty but it's working for now.

I've ordered the correct SFF-8484 to SFF-8482 cables (slow boat from China) and i'm going to mount them into the back plate. This will mean the drives caddies function as intended and less faffing.

I have one of these (different brand, but same system) in the 5 1.4" bay:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-037-BT&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=72

Blue Peter style i've used self adhesive velcro to mount a piece of cut plastic on to the top of that (red in the piccy below), then used more velcro to mount the 160gb 2.5" drive to that. It's good because the 2.5" OS drive gives off virtually no heat and is isolated from any vibrations caused by me using the trayless caddie. All the squeezes nice under the case lid and means i get RAID 5 with 5 x 3 1/2" drives inside the machine + seperate OS drive which is imaged so can be replaced quickly if needed.

opentd.jpg

Once i've finished the build fully i'll post up some pics properly.

Last edited:

k3v

k3v

Associate
Ive just had an email from the place where i bought my 160gb one from saying that the 250gb version has the £100 offer on it for febuary. looks like the people who missed out originally will be able to get one. Cut and paste below.

Good afternoon,

A bit of good news to cheer you up on a Monday!

HP have just informed us that the new 250GB ProLiant MicroServer model (part code 633724-421) will qualify for their massively popular £100 cashback deal throughout February (tomorrow onwards!)

This model (see here) is in stock for £219.95 meaning from tomorrow you will be able to get hold of it for just £119.95 after cashback!

Associate
Are all of the parts user replaceable on this, ie. if the board or the processor etc. go bad can they easily be replaced etc.

Considering HP's 3 yr warranty on this as there is an offer on at the moment.

Soldato
Ive just had an email from the place where i bought my 160gb one from saying that the 250gb version has the £100 offer on it for febuary. looks like the people who missed out originally will be able to get one. Cut and paste below.

Good afternoon,

HP have just informed us that the new 250GB ProLiant MicroServer model (part code 633724-421) will qualify for their massively popular £100 cashback deal throughout February (tomorrow onwards!)

This model (see here) is in stock for £219.95 meaning from tomorrow you will be able to get hold of it for just £119.95 after cashback!

If thats true they'll definately shift a pile of em, looking round the web this little server seems to be developing a bit of a cult following and I can see why at the price.

Soldato

Good afternoon,

thanks for that I think I'm going to get another!! - jsut checked on HP's site offer untill the end of feb on the 250gb model!

Syx

Syx

Associate
Cheapest I have found including VAT is £249.40. Unless someone can tell me it's possible to find it cheaper then I'll be getting out my credit card in a few hours time... :D

Soldato
Cheapest I have found including VAT is £249.40. Unless someone can tell me it's possible to find it cheaper then I'll be getting out my credit card in a few hours time... :D

Make sure they are authorised dealers. If memory serves the Cashback is ONLY if you buy from an authorised dealer. Wouldnt want a member here missing out. ;)

Syx

Syx

Associate
Make sure they are authorised dealers. If memory serves the Cashback is ONLY if you buy from an authorised dealer. Wouldnt want a member here missing out. ;)

Interesting point. I bought one of the previous models direct from HP so didn't even consider that I'd need to use an authorised dealer.
Saying that though, the claim form doesn't make any mention of it :confused:

Soldato
Interesting point. I bought one of the previous models direct from HP so didn't even consider that I'd need to use an authorised dealer.
Saying that though, the claim form doesn't make any mention of it :confused:

Just make sure you RTFM on all small print. 99% sure the last offer DID need an auth seller. Hence the eBay sellers were out!

I'm considering myself. Plus doesnt the offer START with purchases TOMORROW?

Syx

Syx

Associate
"The promotion is valid only on new units purchased and invoiced directly from HP or a UK HP authorised reseller. Orders must be invoiced between 1 and 28 February 2011. Claims for purchases direct from HP distribution partners are ineligible"

You're absolutely correct. Although the difference between an "authorised reseller" and a "distribution partner" is a little confusing - especially as I can't seem to find a list of them.

Tomorrow is only 6 hours away ;)

Syx

Syx

Associate
Nothing, as I wasn't going to buy until at least 00:01 on 1st Feb (which is still tonight) and the company have confirmed they are an authorised reseller :p

Syx

Syx

Associate
^^^ :D:D

That's the wonder of a telephone call as opposed to email - especially if you don't dial the 08xx number you can get lucky!

Now ordered at £249.40 over the phone after confirming with them once again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom