• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Says Bulldozer Is 50% Faster than Core i7

Soldato
1)Yes, and therefore the notion of a "core" is somewhat blurred now shall we at least say? I don't know why you concern yourself with arguing about it. Probably because AMD themselves aren't quite sure how to market the new architecture to the mediocre masses of DIY computing.

2)All that matters is power consumption, threads, IPC and thread swapping efficiency.

1)The notion was blurred with Intels definition of HT & im no more concerned about it than you are as it takes 2 to tango unless you think no one should be debating the subject.

2) indeed.

Last edited:
Associate
Focus people!! ....50% is only double figures !!! There's a whisper Intel just bought into a Artificial diamond manufacturing business in south Africa that specializes in diamond coating on metal substrates,...Now why would Intel be interested in that for ??? Diamond conducts heat 5 times better then copper....how does a 12ghz 8-core beast sound like by 2014 ?

Soldato
Focus people!! ....50% is only double figures !!! There's a whisper Intel just bought into a Artificial diamond manufacturing business in south Africa that specializes in diamond coating on metal substrates,...Now why would Intel be interested in that for ??? Diamond conducts heat 5 times better then copper....how does a 12ghz 8-core beast sound like by 2014 ?

erm...sounds unlikely. :p

Associate
Core for core - that's a new one but does it matter how AMD get the job done? What counts is performance, price and maybe power usage surely if the performance of Bulldozer is 50% better (according to the article) and prices and power usage is comparable to Core i7 then who cares how many cores Bulldozer uses?

So what? Why does it matter how many cores AMD puts in its CPU's? So long as they comparing chips that will be priced at a smiler price point Bulldozer can have 100 cores for all I care.

Exactly. Who cares if it's a Turbocharged 3.6L V6 or a NA 5.0 V8 as long as they do the job at similar price points?

DSN

DSN

Associate
Core for core - that's a new one but does it matter how AMD get the job done? What counts is performance, price and maybe power usage surely if the performance of Bulldozer is 50% better (according to the article) and prices and power usage is comparable to Core i7 then who cares how many cores Bulldozer uses?

So what? Why does it matter how many cores AMD puts in its CPU's? So long as they comparing chips that will be priced at a smiler price point Bulldozer can have 100 cores for all I care.

Because no applications use them ?

Soldato
That's what people said about quad-cores by 2007 !!!

don't get me wrong, its more than possible, i just don't think intel are in a position to do it at the moment, with the sandy bridge troubles, were talking three years to totally do a total swap to artificial diamond (assume you mean graphene?), not saying its impossible just saying i don't see it likely happening given the current state of things. technology usually only advances quickly when it needs to, currently silicon is doing the job fine, though i could see in the not to distant future a change to graphene based CPUs going ahead. heres a question, does anything really challange the current top-end processors? like the i7 and what not, barring benchmarking tools, does anything trouble them?

Soldato

You do realise that technology generally becomes available THEN applications use that technology? Why would anyone code an application to use 100 cores when the max on the market is a lot less. You say "no one would use that many cores!" Well people said the same about quad not that long ago, and no doubt a lot of people are saying the same about 8-12 cores now. Well you'll be suprised the use they actually do get in the future.

Soldato
You do realise that technology generally becomes available THEN applications use that technology? Why would anyone code an application to use 100 cores when the max on the market is a lot less. You say "no one would use that many cores!" Well people said the same about quad not that long ago, and no doubt a lot of people are saying the same about 8-12 cores now. Well you'll be suprised the use they actually do get in the future.

+1 to this, applications are only coded to run on current hardware, not future hardware, what would be the point?

Soldato
You're forgetting Crysis!

maybe an exception, only crytek could possibly be that mad, they did it back with far cry as well, most stuff didn't like running that maxed out in the day either! problem for me is im inclined to perhaps think dodgy coding, since unreal engine 3 looks brilliant, yet runs about ten times as well...! :confused:

Soldato
technology usually only advances quickly when it needs to, currently silicon is doing the job fine, though i could see in the not to distant future a change to graphene based CPUs going ahead. heres a question, does anything really challange the current top-end processors? like the i7 and what not, barring benchmarking tools, does anything trouble them?

Who knows. If it is technology viable for some part of the high-tech industry (military, research, NASA, supercomputers) but not mainstream, then that's where it will be, and hopefully the manufacturing process will improve and it can be manufactured at high volume at competitive costs.

There is a whole world outside consumer processors.

Plus, multi-threaded code is a must have nowadays. All console games are heavily multi-threaded for starters, and you'd be a fool not to take advantage of multi-cores on PCs. Besides, multitasking...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom