• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandybridge design flaw recalls beginning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't have an SSD yet but I imagine a lot of people will have 1 SSD and a big data drive. So they'll need to use the other ports.

I have 2 ordinary HDs and put my (hardly ever used) optical drive on one of the "dodgy" ports. I'm guessing that as it spends most of its time doing SFA the controller isn't going to get too stressed. I may be wrong though.

Andrew McP

That's what I've done - two SATA 3Gb/s SSDs connected to the 6Gb/s ports with the Blu-ray and e-SATA expansion card connected to some potentially 'dodgy' ports. I rarely use the Blu-ray drive (compared to the SSDs) and if something did go 'wrong' I would much rather it was the Blu-ray drive than the SSDs. I have an external Blu-ray drive should I need it, anyway.

Caporegime
How do you think the public would perceive that? At least this way it looks like Intel are trying to rectify the problem and not just run away from it. Trust is valuable.

I don't see how it would be perceived any differently than if Intel were simply to replace H67/P67 boards with new revisions, they wouldn't be running away from anything.

The current situations with both H67/P67 having inherent limitations (H67 = no overclocking, P67 = no Quicksync) is already a bit of a farse really, if Intel were to give current owners an all encompassing Z68 as replacement people would be getting a better product.

Soldato
I see the reasoning and it would actually make people feel a little less hard done-by I suppose. I mean I for one don't really like the hassle of having to uproot the system, send things back, wait for new things and then reinstall things... Only to have gained nothing but what I supposedly paid for in the first place. I don't think the Z68 is ready yet though?

Associate
Wow i get this exact same issue if you look in your event log under errors you will probably have a warning about IAstor, the intel matrix storage drivers. I have wasted about 12h trying to fix this issue and now it looks like it may just possibly be the SATA at fault and not my hard drives after all.

on my machine it happened about 4 times a day. It has to do with LPM power management and apparently one of my devices wasn't compatible (which i know to be utter BS) 2x samsung F3s 1 Crucial c300 and a Samsung DVDR with latest 2010 firmware...

Yep. Error log says IAstor. If it is a symptom of the chipset problem then I'm glad intel are doing something about it.

Soldato
Assuming we do get replacement boards is this not fairly good new for the consumer.
We will get a new revision motherboard... I'm sure that the Intel change will not be the only thing the motherboard manufacturers will change no doubt there will probably be other subtle changes.

I wonder how late one could leave it. Buy a H67 board today, then six months later exchange it for what might then be a better developed board.

Permabanned
I'm glad I've stuck with my 600 cyrix 133Mhz CPU, with my VIA chipset. in 16 years its still going.lol.

Not really!

Is it possible though (consumer rights etc etc) to get a full refund if an item(s) is/are being recoiled?

Might sound stupid, but i've heard when baby toys/prams etc have developed a fault parents were able to get their refund back. I know that could be a life or death situation, but not being able to play on your computer due to a fault, could lead to suicide, or even WORSE buying a PS3/XBOX for your gaming addiction.

Soldato
Has this been confirmed though? Is it definitely not possible for a port to fail suddenly when data is being transferred, potentially leading to data loss/corruption? Still though... even if a port just stops working with no data loss, that could leave you without a working PC for hours/days. You might be in the middle of something very important (work, client meeting etc.) It might be scaremongering but not all your customers are casual net browsers and gamers. Some of us do our work with our workstations :)

That said I don't own anything SB... just my thoughts on it.

Anandtech has more info,

If you have a desktop system with six SATA ports driven off of P67/H67 chipset, there’s a chance (at least 5%) that during normal use some of the 3Gbps ports will stop working over the course of 3 years. The longer you use the ports, the higher that percentage will be. If you fall into this category, chances are your motherboard manufacturer will set up some sort of an exchange where you get a fixed board. The motherboard manufacturer could simply desolder your 6-series chipset and replace it with a newer stepping if it wanted to be frugal.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

Associate
The ironic thing is I brought my new pc a couple weeks ago because I knew intel and asus had a really good track record the last couple of years.

upgraded from my (currently mothballed but fully working) intel core duo, asus p5k-e, 8800gt system. Which im still quite happy with.

************!!

Associate
I can see it now when we come to sell these boards, for me it will be propably when z68 is out, people will be asking if it's a rev 1 or 2 board so in effect intel's mistake has just devalued my board and I have only had 2 weeks!

Man of Honour
I can see it now when we come to sell these boards, for me it will be propably when z68 is out, people will be asking if it's a rev 1 or 2 board so in effect intel's mistake has just devalued my board and I have only had 2 weeks!

But you can just get it swapped out soon any way? And there is a very good chance your board would be fine too..?

Associate
But you can just get it swapped out soon any way? And there is a very good chance your board would be fine too..?

I hope they are going to do the right thing for us but as yet they haven't said that have they, I am not prepared to pay postage for a Rma or be without my Pc for even two days! So I hope they come up with a solution that works for us

Associate
But surely a man (sorry person) from Intel will turn up on your doorstep with a shiny new motherboard and fit it for you before saying here is a free 'I was Recalled by Intel' badge. LOL

Best bit is... new motherboard = windows OEM licence / activation issues - now that will be fun LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom