Can i make my internet wireless?

Associate
Well as per the title but let me explain.

I'm in the Army and live in camp, in all the rooms we have a network point that can take a single connection.

When i have my have my laptop connected i open firefox, it shows a login page and i log in to use my account, there giving me access to the web.

Now the other day i called up the company and asked how can i connect my ps3 to play online, they said if i give them my mac address of the ps3, every time i plug it in it will auto connect without having to log in.

Now what i want to know is there anyway i can connect my hub (bt homehub) to the connection, so i can connect more than 1 device at any time and also give me wireless. Does the hub have a mac address? so i could just say that it was the address of my ps3. meaning the hub is always connected, giving me wireless and the option to have my laptop and ps3 connected at the same time ?

hope this all makes sense!

Cheers

Caporegime
simple solution, rather than give them the MAC address of the PS3, give them the MAC address of a router (no, your BT Homehub won't work, get a router for cable rather than adsl), which will then always autoconnect, and thus provide an autoconnected internet connection to everything which is either plugged into, or connected via wireless to the router.

Associate
OP
simple solution, rather than give them the MAC address of the PS3, give them the MAC address of a router (no, your BT Homehub won't work, get a router for cable rather than adsl), which will then always autoconnect, and thus provide an autoconnected internet connection to everything which is either plugged into, or connected via wireless to the router.

cheers i have a spare cable router at home, i will try that.

Caporegime
I'd be more concerned about the fact that he will essentially be opening up a weak(er) point in what I can only assume to be a military controlled network.

The repercussions of getting caught could be monumental.

If he gets caught with the router, on it's official MAC address, he would most likely get a lesser "telling off" than he would do for intentionally masquerading the router as a PS3.

Associate
OP
I'd be more concerned about the fact that he will essentially be opening up a weak(er) point in what I can only assume to be a military controlled network.

The repercussions of getting caught could be monumental.

If he gets caught with the router, on it's official MAC address, he would most likely get a lesser "telling off" than he would do for intentionally masquerading the router as a PS3.

The internet connection has nothing to do with the army, its run and installed by this company: http://www.mediaforceuk.com/index.htm

Associate
OP
Just called the company to ask if i could just give the mac address of my router so i can connect all of my devices.

They said its not allowed as it can stop other people connecting, and cause problems:confused: sounds like bs to me! they probably just say that as they don't want one person paying and everybody using his wireless for free.

Could a router really cause problems? in my eyes its no different to any other device being connected!?

can i change my router mac address to give the same id as a ps3 device?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm guessing they don't like the idea that in essence you could be running any number of devices behind your router, and leeching enough bandwidth that others in the same building/circuit get negatively affected.

Actually causing problems on its own, I highly doubt.

Depending on the router, you can, yes. With a DD-WRT compatible router, you can spoof your MAC address quite easily.

Associate
OP
To be honest i don't want to do it to leech loads of bandwidth (not that bandwidth should be a problem on a leased line) Its just so i don't need to keep swapping between my laptop, ps3 and i am able to have my iPhone connected via wireless.

Paradigm can you link me a router that could do what is needed? and explain how i can do it?

Cheers

Caporegime
1) Pick up the cheapest Linksys WRT54GS you can from eBay (I paid less than £20 for the last one I bought).
2) Visit this page and download the correct image file for whatever version of the router you get (WRT54GS v1.0, the version number will be on the sticker on the bottom of the router). This will most likely be listed as a "mini build, required for initial flashing via WEB".
3) Log in to the router's web config page and find the page for upgrading firmware. Point the upgrading tool to the recently downloaded DD-WRT file, and let it do it's magic.
4) Set up the router as you would like it to be, including "MAC address cloning" by using the new DD-WRT web interface.
5) Enjoy.

Associate
My friend and I both have cheapo belkin and linksys routers which both support mac address cloning. Most cable routers have the feature.

Back
Top Bottom