Rift: Planes of Telera Beta

Soldato
It will be a decent enough MMO for those who wish to play it. I am merely indicating why I have issues with it and would not swap to it and why I feel it has shortcomings.

Point is, the people who are getting up in arms the most are the Rift fanbois because their precious shiny new MMO lovechild is being *gasp* pitched against the industry leader in the market segment.

It does not matter that WoW did not do it first, fact is - they do it better. If you cannot do it better or different, why bother? The answer to that is people will play it regardless and they will make money ANYWAY so they don't NEED to. Just many of us who play other MMOs and see no merit in picking the game up will not.

Everyone proclaimed WAR as the WoW killer, that it would hurt WoW subs....yeah...about that. Rift will not poach any significant numbers from WoW because it is not different enough to entice people like myself who cannot see a pro to making the jump.

Nothing about being tarnished as you like to think of it, just straight up hard facts. I don't chop my car in for the same but 1 year facelifted model, but SOME people do. Would have to be a substantial upgrade/change, Rift - is not. If you think it is then you are either deluding yourself or have some unwarranted hate towards WoW and being the devil's advocate. (Protip - Rifts, RIGHT NOW, are not as big as a feature as others/the developer are making them out to be)

Wow and even WAR was a bug fested ****hole in release while RIFT is the most polished beta ever. big difference mate and why rift is getting a lot of praise. everyone moaning about rift are just wow fanboys. You see, i can say the same BS as you:rolleyes:

Associate
Point is, the people who are getting up in arms the most are the Rift fanbois because their precious shiny new MMO lovechild is being *gasp* pitched against the industry leader in the market segment.

Enough WoW already and no I aren't a fanboi I have 0 brand loyalty to pretty much anything, if Rift gets boring it'll be dropped in an instant, but does everything have to be about WoW or related back to WoW.

This thread should either be for discussing Rift on its merits, on it's gameplay mechanics or closed. Enough with the tit-for-tat WoW vs every other MMO tennis match.

Soldato
To be honest half the people here are no better than the WoW fanboys, they seem determined to defend it, purely because it's being compared to WoW.

On its own merits though, it's...ok. Very pretty, slightly unresponsive in combat, and aside from the rift invasions and skill trees thing, not terribly remarkable.

This is all a lot of people want - to do the same old kill-ten-rats thing in a new setting with a new backstory. I think this is also the reason so many people are having a go at it - people are starting to get just a little bit tired of mmo after mmo just trotting out the same mechanisms and cliches with a new lick of paint, while at the same time proclaiming themselves to be the rebirth of the genre.

Associate
I've puttered about in the beta a bit, and whilst I've seen nothing that "wowed" (;p) me, I'm going to give it a go once it goes live.

I've been looking for a robust MMO that does what it says on the tin for a long time - Rift meets that goal.

Recent MMO offerings haven't lived up to expectation. WAR missed it's potential, Aion felt too "enclosed", it seemed to lack a certain feeling that I associate with MMORPGs (a subjective thing). - it was more GW than UO. I haven't seriously played WoW since around 2005, it just didn't grab me, and I felt I'd missed the EQ2 bandwagon.

I'm quietly looking forward to getting started with Rift.

Soldato
To be honest half the people here are no better than the WoW fanboys, they seem determined to defend it, purely because it's being compared to WoW.

It's this whole being-compared-to-the-most-successful-product-in-its-genre-of-all-time-is-a-bad-thing that i don't get. In what other industry do people actively scorn something because it lacks originality? Avatar, the highest grossing film of all time, a pretty front end, nothing new to cinematics what so ever. If i made a film, and somebody said 'hey thats a bit like avatar', FANTASTIC! What highest praise!

Originality is the domain of the fringe and alternative scene. If you want an original MMO, then by all means, front the millions of dollars development money and we will all come back and scorn you when its done :p

Last edited:
Associate
I wish they would just release the game already. I'm not sure I want to play in the betas anymore. I'm sold on the game now, I just want to play it for real and start putting real time in to a proper character.

I'm 100% certain I will play a Cleric now. Never played a healer before so I'm looking forward to it. Also loving the fact I can switch to off tank or dps if I choose. Very versatile.

Somebady pointed out to me the other day that you will only ever need to roll 4 characters if Rift. Despite all the dozens of class combinations, once you choose your calling you can switch between two specs or just reset your talents and choose something completely different. Personaly I love this approach. Being a casual player I don't have time to create a dozen different characters. I can just stick to one or two and get everything I need from them.

Associate
signed up for the ocuk guild for this game, anyone have a spare beta key i could have for the next beta tomorro?

looking forward to giving this a try :)

Back
Top Bottom